20 replies to this topic

#1 aj_

aj_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:55 PM

I picked this up a little over a year ago and figured it was time to jot a few details down. I'm perhaps arriving here on a different journey from most others on the forum, as I'm equipped with zero skills on the mechanical side, and zero space to do anything. My mission with the Z was simple: I wanted a car that would make me smile, for a few drives each week. After 3-4 months hunting (which seems quick these days, and that was only a year ago) I spotted this online and flew to Melbourne the next day. I did pester PB with a bunch of questions too - and, as I've seen with many other new-ish members, he went above and beyond with help and input.

Anyway, this one ticked a lot of boxes: Silver, original/no mods (inc original radio), 2 seat, black interior. After a mad, mad, MAD test drive with the previous owner I was sold ... and smiling.

She (he?) was plonked on a truck and arrived in the middle of the night a week or two later.

Gh6eQbL.jpg

Since then I've outsourced a bunch of work (as per above - I don't have the skills or space ... or time!) and figured I should start logging that here.

Work to date:

Electrics (rewired & replaced headlights, fixed pressure sender, temp sender & indicators)

Replaced armrests

Replaced dash -

RrtJL0U.jpg

Rvr3Qa7.jpg

Replaced seat foams, shift boot, hand brake boot and centre console (all from the Z store) - console is the US style with lid (I couldn't find a "non-lid" version)

New seat covers 
(black leather / black stitching)

2 ½” stainless exhaust, with new extractors (it's actually having this done right now)

Js0hug4.png

A/C regas / repair heater & control cables

Replaced fuel sender 

New radiator

A few pics attached (the headlight covers have been removed, as they just didn't float my boat).

I'm casually hunting for a decent bonnet, if anybody knows of one. My current bonnet is looking particularly nasty on the leading edge - and whoever put the badge on had the fidgets that day. But that seems to be the only nasty stuff found so far. If I can't find a bonnet I'll probably take him (her?) off-road over winter and get the full respray done.

The Z gets out as often as I can, which is nowhere near as often as I'd like. But - I still smile every time.

The interior is pretty much done - though, if I'm going to be picky, the back carpets could do with a tidy-up. There's an engine rebuild on the horizon, but the aim on this one is to keep things as original as is I can. If there was a sliding scale from boy-racer to showroom-original, I'm definitely leaning to the original side of things, but happy to throw in the odd nod to modernity here & there.

Anyway, there it is. Occasional posts to follow - and I'll definitely get along to a Sydney get together at some stage.

8r44ZHE.jpg

Cheers,

AJ

Edited by aj_, 27 May 2017 - 03:48 PM.

• gav240z, potter260, Ponyo240z and 1 other like this

#2 Retro Z

Retro Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  • Tagline:73' 240z and 72’ 240z

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:36 PM

Wow, very nice. Don't hesitate to PM me if you need help with anything..i've pulled apart so many of them that im sure i can help in some way.
  • aj_ likes this

#3 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,394 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:21 PM

Nice looking car.
  • aj_ likes this

#4 AndBir

AndBir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

Very nice, and with air con as well.

What muffler(s) did you get on your new exhaust system?

• aj_ likes this

#5 andyk_79

andyk_79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/12055-andrews-1972-240/
  • Tagline:Useless Pest asking clueless questions

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

I can certainly relate to the "no skills" aspect, and outsourcing as a result.  Look forward to seeing this in the flesh at a drive day.

• aj_ likes this

#6 aj_

aj_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:56 PM

Very nice, and with air con as well.

What muffler(s) did you get on your new exhaust system?

The muffler is made by these guys - http://www.hitechmufflers.com.au/ - it's their own brand. I can dig into that a little more if you like. I'm hoping to have the Z back this week and can get further details then. Just let me know.

The air-con is an odd little thing, bolted on under the glove box - but, it does have a retro charm to it too.

Edited by aj_, 17 May 2017 - 08:30 PM.

#7 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:15 PM

Nice car, I really like the wheels too, whatever brand they are. I think you've done a great job with the car's repairs/tidy-ups too in just one year.

Personally I also like the headlamp covers, I find the bare sugar scoops a bit raw. But to each his own taste. I had a set of covers on mine a while back but they got broken. Will buy a new set when the opportunity presents itself.

Edited by gilltech, 17 May 2017 - 07:18 PM.

• aj_ likes this

#8 aj_

aj_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:29 PM

Nice car, I really like the wheels too, whatever brand they are. I think you've done a great job with the car's repairs/tidy-ups too in just one year.

Personally I also like the headlamp covers, I find the bare sugar scoops a bit raw. But to each his own taste. I had a set of covers on mine a while back but they got broken. Will buy a new set when the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks! I'd be very interested if you can find a 'snug fitting' headlight cover. I tried 2 different sets but part of my problem with them was gaps around the rubber edges (not seating properly) + they cracked very, very easily (both sets were plastic - which I'm guessing yours were too). If I could find a snug & sturdy set I'd definitely give them another go. On the wheels, I'll claim zero credit (they were there on purchase). I wasn't mad on them to start, but they've really grown on me now and I can't imagine it with anything else. The previous owner even chucked in a spare.

Edited by aj_, 17 May 2017 - 08:31 PM.

#9 Mike260LW

Mike260LW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:17 PM

Nice early 260Z. I'm a big fan of the '74 260. What is the VIN # AJ?

#10 aj_

aj_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:16 AM

Nice early 260Z. I'm a big fan of the '74 260. What is the VIN # AJ?

Hey Mike - yep, me too. It's RS30 000543

#11 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:41 PM

Mine's 115, so built what a month or so before?

Yeah I like those wheels, they look very Corvette-ish to me. Is there a brand on the back, & what size are they?

Edited by gilltech, 18 May 2017 - 05:46 PM.

#12 aj_

aj_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:35 PM

Quick update - 

I got the car back today and am beyond happy with the new exhaust setup. It sounds just how I wanted it to too - not too angry, not too snarly ... "quietly confident". The new extractors have definitely improved the performance too. The guy from the muffler shop was all over the Z with glee - and turned out to be a Datsun guy too (he did the London - Sydney marathon in a 1600). 

Edited by aj_, 18 May 2017 - 10:08 PM.

#13 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Tagline:Manana!

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:13 PM

Thanks! I'd be very interested if you can find a 'snug fitting' headlight cover. I tried 2 different sets but part of my problem with them was gaps around the rubber edges (not seating properly) + they cracked very, very easily (both sets were plastic - which I'm guessing yours were too). If I could find a snug & sturdy set I'd definitely give them another go....

Just use a hot air gun and massage them to the correct shape.

#14 Mike260LW

Mike260LW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:42 AM

Thanks! I'd be very interested if you can find a 'snug fitting' headlight cover. I tried 2 different sets but part of my problem with them was gaps around the rubber edges (not seating properly) + they cracked very, very easily (both sets were plastic - which I'm guessing yours were too). If I could find a snug & sturdy set I'd definitely give them another go. On the wheels, I'll claim zero credit (they were there on purchase). I wasn't mad on them to start, but they've really grown on me now and I can't imagine it with anything else. The previous owner even chucked in a spare.

Just bought Two sets from Motorsport Auto in the USA. They were put on back order because the getting a new supplier as they weren't happy with the fit of the old ones. I have to tell you if the new ones are better the old ones must have been appalling!
  • aj_ likes this

#15 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. I fitted mine (from same supplier) sometime maybe 1990-era and they fitted fairly well shape-wise, but were prone to coming loose. The problem was that they got brittle in cold weather (like on ski trips etc) and cracked and broke away around the screw holes. I couldn't find anything to successfully repair them with, so in time I gave up and they were discarded. Hopefully the plastic compound has improved by now. So I will try again!

#16 aj_

aj_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

Mine's 115, so built what a month or so before?

Yeah I like those wheels, they look very Corvette-ish to me. Is there a brand on the back, & what size are they?

I'm guessing we're the same month. The build plate on mine is 1/74. Ditto for you?

The wheels are American Racing. I'm still trying to find the model name though. Size = 14 inch 195/70.

#17 AndBir

AndBir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:23 PM

I'm guessing we're the same month. The build plate on mine is 1/74. Ditto for you?

The wheels are American Racing. I'm still trying to find the model name though. Size = 14 inch 195/70.

My plate is partially covered by some electrics so I have yet to "see" what the build date is. As mine is RS30 000467 I suspect as similar build month. Will have to check it when back at the "farm".

• aj_ likes this

#18 aj_

aj_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

Just spotted this - the new exhaust from underneath ...

https://www.instagra.../p/BUAnxyOjlGl/

#19 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:08 PM

Nice job of that exhaust!

Those big rubber bungs in the rear valance do look better in body colour.

#20 AndBir

AndBir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

Nice job of that exhaust!

Those big rubber bungs in the rear valance do look better in body colour.

I agree re the bungs, I hope to get mine permanently filled in prior to the repaint.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users