#1 GregTas

GregTas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:03 PM

Hi,

I was planning to run throttle body injection on my car (when I get it back together) and was after people's thoughts on throttle body injection setups. It'll be NA L28. I have a good understanding of Weber DCOEs and efi. so not after the pro and cons of each, just people's thoughts on what throttle bodies are about with DCOE mounting pattern. I will also be able to set the efi up myself and so that's not an issue.

I've done a bit of searching and what looks like the best option are these ones from Engineered Performance in Aus. They look similar to the Jenvey ones from the UK, but a little cheaper.

Here's the link.

http://www.ebay.com....-oAAOSwPCVX2dQT

I've found them on the ALI wholesale website for $210 USD posted. I was going to order from there  but you need to be  a registered company and the minimum order is four. Being over $1000 I would also get hit with the import tax. So the margin on top to buy locally is less than $80 AUD each  which is not that much. 

Has anyone got any experience with these? If so what did they think?

Regards,

Greg

Attached Thumbnails

• Engineered performance DCOE throttle body.jpg

Edited by GregTas, 16 May 2017 - 01:04 PM.

#2 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

They look interesting, I wonder if they are taper bore and available in bigger sizes? Just looking at them the quality of the machining would be my worry, but i'm sure this is exactly what you are thinking hence the thread.

At least having a fuel injector means you dont have to rely on the quality of ITB to control the fuel. Might be one of those suck it and see things? Please post your findings :D

#3 munters

munters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:27 PM

What about the Jenvey Heritage?

TDS_v1a.jpg

• gav240z likes this

#4 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,532 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:41 PM

When I saw this thread I was trying to find they Jenvey Heritage carbs, I kept looking for Fuel Injected Weber DCOEs and couldn't see them. I do like the idea of having the classic aesthetics but drivability of fuel injection.

http://www.jenvey.co...mm-single-tds45

#5 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Tagline:Datsun obsessed

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

They look interesting, I wonder if they are taper bore and available in bigger sizes? Just looking at them the quality of the machining would be my worry, but i'm sure this is exactly what you are thinking hence the thread.

At least having a fuel injector means you dont have to rely on the quality of ITB to control the fuel. Might be one of those suck it and see things? Please post your findings :D

The sellers description notes parallel bore.

They are significantly cheaper than the Jenvey option but I am always cautious of eBay purchases. I know it's a massive generalisation but, typically I find products sold on eBay to be rubbish.

Following this thread with interest.

Edited by Cozza, 16 May 2017 - 05:00 PM.

#6 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,532 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:06 PM

I know it's a massive generalisation but, typically I find products sold on eBay to be rubbish.

Sadly I tend to find the same..

#7 GregTas

GregTas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:39 PM

So if I don't buy them from ebay and from the supplier in Hong Kong will they be better quality then?  ;)

Hong Kong supplier https://wholesaler.a...4838.0.0.d6IYnA

I do like the Jenvey heritage throttle bodies, but at $1000 each that is way too much fro me. I'm hopiing to get the complete efi set done with a decent computer for about $3500. 

This is another option. I made a throttle body some years back out of two 1 3/4" SUs. I had no use for it at the time. I just did it to see if it would work. I could make a set like this for little cost, but I yet haven't worked out a good way to mount the injectors. In the manifold is a possibility.

DCOE%20throttle%20body.jpg

#8 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:38 PM

https://www.efihardw...e-manifold-45mm

PRO-STREET-SERIES-Nissan-L-series-6-cyl- ? ? ?

Edited by Lurch ™, 16 May 2017 - 07:38 PM.

#9 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Tagline:260z coupe in slow build, Now with RB25DE powah!!

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:52 PM

The machining doesnt look too bad, but it could leak badly past the shaft seals while looking perfectly fine.
Its a risk you take with cheap performance parts.

You mentioned the tapered bore?
What is that for in regards to an EFI setup?
I know you need a tapered bore\venturi in a carbie to create vacuum to draw the fuel through the ports, but what is the benefit in EFI?
I may be overthinking this but I would have thought it would be irrelevant?

Edited by nizm0zed, 16 May 2017 - 07:53 PM.

• gav240z likes this

#10 GregTas

GregTas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:10 PM

Hi Lurch, I had looked that complete set up. It looks very nice, but it was quite a bit.

I had also considered the individual pro street throttle bodies. They look good too and the air bleed is a nice thing to have. I did wonder about the method for retaining the injectors as didn't look as sturdy as the other ones I was looking at. I also wondered with the injector appearing to sit well out if they may foul and air box. A couple of options there.

#11 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:49 PM

The machining doesnt look too bad, but it could leak badly past the shaft seals while looking perfectly fine.
Its a risk you take with cheap performance parts.

You mentioned the tapered bore?
What is that for in regards to an EFI setup?
I know you need a tapered bore\venturi in a carbie to create vacuum to draw the fuel through the ports, but what is the benefit in EFI?
I may be overthinking this but I would have thought it would be irrelevant?

First off i'm talking about natural aspiration and peak performance. I thought it is all about creating a smooth transition from the required throttle plate size to the back of the valve and accelerating the air into the chamber regardless of how the air is getting mixed with the fuel. Usually throttle bodies are really short so it's not a big deal, where as these are long. Could be wrong though.

• nizm0zed likes this

#12 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:32 AM

That Ebay unit, in the OP, states its from Ballarat Vic.
Isn't that Steve Newing at EFI Hardware?
Just buy it direct from him!

A not so often on here chap from Sydney, told me about his LO-Budget alternative to these expensive TB+ Inject units,, brilliant dea, and so simple!
Get a decent triple Weber type manifold, weld bosees on, at near to head, at an angle, fit injectors, hook up a rail, run the usual high pressure fuel control, then, just bolt on a old set of 45dcoe's, dont need to be matched, no need for chokes or aux venturies,, run them dry, and gutted, they just control air!
A TPS, a MAP or similar, air temp sensor, hooked up to any basic type ECU, controlling injects and ign.
Best bit, compared to all these TB+Inj, you are shooting the fuel steaight at the backside of the intakes!

What problems would arise from this?
  • d3c0y likes this

#13 GregTas

GregTas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:56 PM

The throttle bodies I showed from 'Engineered Performance' appear to be a different company to 'EFI hardware' and the ones made there.

I am still thinking my cheap way with the home made throttle bodies and injectors mounts on the manifold placed close to head may be ok. Unfortunately the manifold I have is a Redline one and use the NA bolt pattern. These mounting bolts will probably get in the way of teh injectors mounts. The better alternative was the Harada manifold that uses the EFI mounting bolts. I did contact them through their website email address about buying one but didn't get a response from them, which is why I went with the Redline manifold.

http://www.jcy.co.jp/hrd/intake.html

#14 ilbert

ilbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

It's not Steve, he's in Mitcham Victoria.
I have seen these in person ( the Ballarat ones). They LOOK fine. So I bought 3 a while back, have not run them yet so can't vouch for them.

#15 GregTas

GregTas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:48 PM

Thanks for the info. As long as the butterflies look like they are in sync and seal up properly I can't there being any issues with them. They might be my pick.

#16 TomC18

TomC18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Tagline:Old Racer

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:06 PM

Fyi, my car has always run injectors in bosses welded to the top of the manifold to shoot at the valve directly - supposed to be good.  They just blanked off the holes in the TB's.  So if you can weld and machine alloy then no problem with this approach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users