Hello From Tassie

Hi,

I live in Tassie and have recently bought a 240Z. It a bit of a project because it's just a bare body on wheels, but it did come with a lot of parts.

I've previously owned a 240Z and 260Z and so have a bit of experience with them, but this one is quite a big project for me. It needs everything from the body work, suspension, brakes through to the drive line. My plan at this stage is road/club day car with a NA L28 with EFI.  It's all manageable for me, but it's going to take me a while.

I've found the forum a very good source of information and I'm sure it and it's members will be a good help to me in getting it back on the road.

Just thought I'd say hello.

Greg

• Administrators

Welcome Greg, what year is your 240z? Any photos (attachments are not working right at the minute) but would love to know which car it is?

I did try putting a photo up, but couldn't get it to work.

It would be an unknown car as it was sitting outside under a tree for about 10 years in a stripped condition rusting away. I suspect it's been a long time since it was on the road. I was really looking for a project that was a bit more complete, but you have to take what you can get these days.

Chassis no. is HS30-00741.

Edited by GregTas

• Administrators

It will have the solid pillars (no vents in hatch). It's a 71 model.

Would love to see photos of it!

Closest I have to that number is HS30 00745

https://goo.gl/photos/Bvce1juMKTCiG5pi6

I wonder how many other rare gems are hiding in Tasmania - a couple of early cars have come from there!

Yes it was. It looked very similar to the one in your avatar, except the paint was less shiny.  :)  Thanks for looking after it. Happy to buy it back at the same price.   ;)

I saw the l28 turbo manifold on gumtree the other day for $180.

I've been waiting to see the old girl back out at Baskerville.

Edited by GregTas

I couldn't quite let it go for the same price sorry  :)

Mick Williams told us the bug had bit and you had bought another one as a project.  I see a roll cage inside which is a good sign  ;)   

The guy I sold the engine to had replaced the old manifold so he must have still had it kicking around.

The old girl is just about going again.  It's been on the dyno once but blew a head gasket.  We worked out why and fixed it but it has now developed an electrical gremlin.  I've been busy with family and work but hopefully I'll find some time to get it sorted and get back out there soon.

Good luck with the new project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Welcome

Got to say I love your choice of project name "Black Hole" really captures the essence of car restoration.

Good luck with the project, keep the photos coming.

Cheers

PB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks Gavin. I had seen some other post of the original owners, but  hadn't seen that photo before. Quite moving to see a 40 year old photo of your car.

I only recently moved it into the garage. Its new permanent home. Now I can really get stuck into the body. Only really the floor and sills to sort out before I can paint it. Got one floor sitting in place ready for welding. Been working on the rear struts the last couple of days so I can put the threaded tubes and R31 brakes on. New wheel bearings on way.

I've bought quite a bit for it so far. I'm doing all the work myself so just paying for parts which saves a lot. I've decided to put reasonably good stuff into it so it'll be a good car when done. For this one it just costs what it costs  :D

Edited by GregTas