3 replies to this topic

#1 Kirby

Kirby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:08 PM

So I have to assemble my quarter windows '76 2 seater. I have clean glass, repaired and tidied up frames and all new rubbers & fasteners.

The assembly of parts is pretty straightforward. But my question is about tricks to doing it right.

It's obvious that previously someone had a go with sealant in all the corners to try and stop where it was rusting. I've treated it with acid and an epoxy paint where there was damage, but what can I do to assemble properly?

E.g. what weatherstip sealant to use? Should I run a bead between the glass and the rubber? Should I run a bead between the rubber and the frame? Or just in specific locations (corners)? What other suggestions do people have to have for me to do it properly?

I'll post some photos tomorrow.

#2 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Tagline:Often lost

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:12 AM

The guys from Precision just started uploading install guides of their weather seal products for 240 260 280.. not that I'm endorsing or anything just a video is a lot easier to follow :D

https://www.youtube....arch?query=260z

mspecr posted this during the week. It might help?

Jeff.

#3 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

My approach is to treat the quarter window like a mini windscreen and use a modicum of common windscreen sealant (not black silicone) when I bed the glass in the rubber moulding and the rubber in turn into the stainless steel frame, mostly to deal with the sharp and folded corners.

The metal angle stakes that hold the stainless steel frame together are prone to rusting, particularly the lower front corner one. If in doubt I fabricate a new one. Then metal treat and paint any exposed steel as you say.

Ditto when I install the whole thing into the body with the external rubber seal, I seal it well against the bodywork. Obviously the painted bodyshell has to be mint and ready before I do so.

Sounds like you've got it pretty well sorted. Using windscreen sealant is messy work but once it's all cleaned up and the window well sealed in place I can rest easy. And as the windscreen sealant retains some softness I shouldn't have any trouble in future should I want to remove it for any reason, whereas silicone would pretty much glue it in place.

#4 aircobra

aircobra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:02 PM

yep, i had to replace the lower front corner brackets with stainless brackets screwed into the stainless steel trim. mosture accumulates in this section and it will eventually go. factory used black sealant in the corners of the frame only. check that both lips are tight against the body

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users