Nissan Heritage Parts Scheme

Andrew_L26

Found a few articles mentioning that Nissan is going to begin to produce OEM replacement parts for the R32 as well as the R33 & R34. They also mentioned that they will be reproducing parts for "various Fairlady Z generations" which certainly indicates that the S30 & S130 could be getting some OE parts remanufactured!

Nissan Is Restarting Official Production Of Skyline Spares : https://www.carthrottle.com/post/nissan-is-restarting-official-production-of-skyline-spares/

https://drivetribe.com/p/b4RvFVtASraLESsOVPUJEQ?iid=Eqc1SjCaR-mo_osOSHljzw

These sources may not be accurate but we can still hope!

Andrew

• Administrators

This is awesome news if it's legit.

We expect that to include the R33 and R34, plus the various generations of Fairlady Z, the best-known of which was otherwise known as the 300ZX.

Best known? Really? Hmmmmmmm.... I'd say the early S30Z is the most legendary but of course I'm biased.

This is awesome news if it's legit.

Best known? Really? Hmmmmmmm.... I'd say the early S30Z is the most legendary but of course I'm biased.

Haha I would say the same! Though the 300zx did sell the best so perhaps they are more common (certainly are on the roads anyway)

• Administrators

Depends on which 300zx also, Z31's have gotta be hard to keep on the road now. I was in Caulfield at the start of the year when I saw a rough and ready "California" bodied Z31 drive past me. I was surprised it wasn't on fire. :D

be interesting to see what parts they'll offer.

obviously body panels would be wanted by most, but I'd say that the tooling has long since gone unless they go to the the enormous expense of making new tooling?

you never know.

be interesting to see what parts they'll offer.

obviously body panels would be wanted by most, but I'd say that the tooling has long since gone unless they go to the the enormous expense of making new tooling?

you never know.

I know some other manufactures do keep many of the stamps etc for body panels and perhaps Nissan is one of those manufactures, especially considering they were making plenty of rust repair panels for many years after production ceased.

I wonder if the sports option parts will become available too?

Would be awesome!

• Administrators

I wonder if the sports option parts will become available too?

Somehow I doubt that... I imagine it will be a lot of service items and maybe/hopefully/fingers crossed panels.

Nissan toyed with the idea of restoring 240Z's at one time back in the 1990's and then reselling them through dealerships. I think it was for the American market only.

I may have an article somewhere in my old collection of Z car magazines. Will try and find it this w/end and try and post it up. 

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that Nissan still had the tooling back then to produce panels.

So you never know what they may offer with this new plan they have.  

• Administrators

On that topic I saw this the other day.

http://jalopnik.com/what-happened-to-all-the-datsun-240zs-nissan-restored-i-1583370936

I've seen a few pop up on the Internet from time to time.

I recall quite a bit of hype about it when I was looking for a 240z back in 1997. A few sellers informed me about the program (Australian ones) and I was well aware of it as I had just started using the old Google's back in 1997. Back then nobody knew what Googling was though!

Let's hope Nissan is as committed to these cars as we are! :D

Yes sometime in the early '90s Nissan USA went about buying up early 240Zs and completely refurbished them through restoration shops for sale through a number of their specified dealers complete with warranty.

The trouble was that they were pretty expensive once the extensive re-work had been done, and Nissan eventually pulled the plug.

From what I have read the plan had been for 200 cars, but IIRC I read that in the event only about 40 or so were produced.

Ah, there you go, Gav has just come up with an article on them.

Edited by gilltech

I know some other manufactures do keep many of the stamps etc for body panels and perhaps Nissan is one of those manufactures, especially considering they were making plenty of rust repair panels for many years after production ceased.

Would be awesome!

generally tooling by the end of a car's build cycle is ready to be scrapped to make way for new model tooling (stamps, dies etc). It would be nice to think Nissan have kept Z tooling somewhere for almost 50 years, but I doubt it. I remember reading somewhere when the Mitsubishi plant closed in SA, someone found some old Valiant tooling sitting out in a field with other junk. How they knew what it was and what it was for always intrigued me.

• Administrators

There was a company in Taiwan that was producing guards and bonnets in the 80s/90s perhaps they got hold of said dies and stamps? Seems an awful waste to throw stuff like that out especially when it costs a fortune to produce it in the first place.

Yep, costs a fortune to produce the tooling, but the cost is factored into the development and production of the manufacturing run.
By the end of the run the investment in tooling has been returned and the tooling has no financial loss when its disposed of.

When I worked at a Holden / Nissan / Mitsubishi spare parts distributor back in the 80's / 90's, we did the same every year or two. I recall seeing (amongst truckloads of other stuff)  L6 cylinder heads,  Datto 1600 panels, etc pulled off the shelf and dumped. Once the list of "obsolete" parts was produced and agreed on between the dealer and the manufacturer, it was too late to change anything or "acquire" stuff before it got dumped. It was a requirement that someone actually went to the dump with the truckload of parts and ensured that the stuff wasn't just dumped, but was covered with topsoil and compacted to ensure it was almost impossible to rescue anything. It was a financial decision, it cost money to keep old parts in the warehouse, it cost money for the manufacturer to take the back, so it was easier and cheaper to just dump them. The dealer got a refund from the manufacturer so they were happy, manufacturer didn't have to worry about restocking or destroying truckloads of dirty old parts, so they were happy.

I was in IT at the time, and had a nice little sideline where I worked out roughly what the criteria was for a part to be destined for the dump, wrote my own program to go through our inventory (stored on reel-to-reel tape at the time !!) to make a list of stuff before it appeared on "obsolete" lists and arranged with the warehouse manager to take ute / trailerloads of these parts to swap meetings. If I sold stuff, I could retrospectively "buy" it at a vastly discounted price and pocket any profit (less a "donation" to the warehouse guy), if it didn't sell, I just put it back on the shelf. Most of the memorable stuff was holden, the place I worked had been a holden dealer for many years. I recall selling panels for very early model holdens (right back to FX), crate motors, so much stuff that was starting to be worth money at the time to enthusiasts and would be worth a fortune now.

I just wish I'd kept more stuff for myself :-\

Interestingly, I reckon Nissan have reproduced / remade some spares over the years. 1600 bonnet chrome mouldings available in more recent times are poor fitting when compared to the ones I have from back in the day, same with taillights (chrome surrounds are "off" by quite a few mm in a few spots).

Only thing I can put it down to is that they re-made (badly) the tooling for some popular parts once the stock of spares ran out ???

Edited by 1600dave

• Administrators

I've heard similar stories in Melbourne from Lindsay Drife re: Wayne Couacaud.

He began his career working for the Rolls Royce driving, eccentric, wealthy racing driver "Rocker Box" John Roxborough's Datsun dealership in South Melbourne. His first job there was to clear out all the old junk in a storeroom. (It was crammed with Datsun genuine factory racing parts - all off the planet priceless today).

Interestingly, I reckon Nissan have reproduced / remade some spares over the years.

But were Nissan actually involved? Surely Nissan wouldn't allow their branding attached to poor quality parts, what would be in it for them? More likely to be brand rip-off manufacturers.

For years there was a similar scenario with Mustang parts, poor quality repro stuff - well short of OEM standards - churned out by various mostly Asian suppliers, but unless one could find NOS parts (impossible outside of the USA anyway), or better condition used, there was no option but to buy them if the original parts were missing or beyond saving. But eventually Ford got onto it and instituted a licensing program for parts intended for their branded cars. Needless to say the quality of OEM parts for Mustangs has, in my own experience, improved a great deal.