#1 msparrow88

msparrow88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:47 AM

Hey guys,

I am an American in Australia. 

I have a 240z from the States that is left hand drive etc.

It has made it over here, passing all paper work and registration etc.

My question is, would it be worth it for me to sell while in Australia?

I notice a decent Australian 240z runs you guys about 50k.

With good body, interior, decent miles etc, what could I expect to sell one here?

Thanks!

#2 theremm

theremm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:13 PM

Hi mate and welcome to the forum,

LHD cars generally are a difficult sell in Australia unless that particular make/model was never released in a RHD variant.

I imagine you would be hard pressed to get anything much over 20k for a good original example like you described, even with today's prices.

LHD Z cars don't come up for sale too often here so it is hard to reference other sales as a guide. I would be interested to hear what other members think is a fair valuation but I imagine many others would agree.

#3 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,387 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:53 PM

If I couldn't find a good S30z locally in RHD I'd have no hesitation buying a LHD example to drive over here.

I'm not sure why others find it such a deterrent? In a weekend car in my opinion it's hardly a big deal. I wouldn't even bother doing conversion or if I was going to I'd do it over a long period of time. Collect all the parts I need and when ready and saved the coin convert.

Only problem is finding a good example in the US at a reasonable price. Then shipping etc.. basically means you're better off starting with RHD if you can find 1.

But if I wanted an early early 240z I'd look in the US since options here are limited by these greedy collectors with more than 1 ;).
  • curtis 240z likes this

#4 Mark B

Mark B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Tagline:Old enough to know better !!

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

There has been a LHD 280Z for sale on Gumtree for a while at $18k ( about a 76 from memory), and was previously on ebay at $15k without a bid, so I guess that gives you an indication. I am with Gav, would have no hesitation myself for a LHD car which is a weekender, but the majority of people prefer RHD.                    Mark B

#5 aircobra

aircobra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:44 PM

how much are you asking and what condition is it in?

• road rider likes this

#6 road rider

road rider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Tagline:Life is like a bowl of hot soup.You need to be hot to get blown

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:02 PM

how much are you asking and what condition is it in?

Only thought it a matter of time before someone asked the question!

#7 road rider

road rider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Tagline:Life is like a bowl of hot soup.You need to be hot to get blown

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

So are you a permanent resident now or a temporary visitor to Oz(might have restrictions on selling a car imported by a temporary visitor)
But then I could be wrong :)

#8 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

The 50k cars you speak of are generally the better end of the spectrum, often with serious $$$ spent on restoration.

To put it bluntly a LHD car just won't suit the majority of people when they have the option of RHD. Probably not even me, and I have a LHD Mustang.

Despite Zeds being built in both LHD and RHD form there's still a fair bit of work and time and expense converting from one to the other, it's not that straightforward, I looked into it a few years ago when I discovered that a contact had a tidy non-rusty 240Z sitting in his LA yard.

It all comes down to preferences and competitive $$$, as always. A LHD car would, IMO, be worth the same as an equivalent RHD car less the conversion costs should conversion be req'd down the track in order to on-sell it. My opinion, I think realistic, but others may disagree.

#9 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,387 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:24 PM

I've been trying to find evidence that the AU market ever received a HS30 with a Blue on Blue interior/exterior combination. So far to no avail. I was surprised to find a 907 Green delivered car with the butterscotch interior, but so far only seen white/blue combo cars sold here (very rare also!).

I'd love to have an original blue on blue car (especially an early 240z with vented hatch etc.. 1969/70 model) and as far as I'm aware they were only HLS30's. I don't think I've ever seen it in the Japanese market or European market cars either. I am pretty sure they went with it for North American markets because of other cars at the time that had it such as the Corvette.

http://suncentralzcl...ue_on_Blue.html

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I really love it.

I'd say if you can find a unique LHD 240z like this or a low number car, it won't matter to a person seeking such a car. As for the more common later S30Z's like 260/280's etc.. I would guess it would suppress their values for a while. Having said that all S30Z's are rising in value and in North America recently also!

Blue_on_Blue1970_010.jpg

Blue_on_Blue1970_006.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users