#1 Enzo

Enzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

Hi Guys,

With all of the different conversions that people are doing to their Zed cars, I thought that I would post a couple of pictures of a work in progress  at the moment. A bit unconventional and different.

I have removed the L26 from my 260Z and replaced it with an L28 that I had in a 280zx. The engine had been rebuilt by the previous owner some years ago and had been only been used for a short time before storing the car. I bought it with the intension of putting it back on the road, but as usual with projects I got side-lined with other things. So eventually it got fitted to the 260z. It had flat top pistons but had a P90 head. It ran really well with the original EFI with good economy but not a lot of get up and go. I sold the P90 head to a club member and to up the compression ratio I rebuilt a N42 head that I had spare. New 72 degree cam, rockers , springs and lash pads, that I had purchased from Stewart Wilkins a few years earlier. I had also been redoing some of the electrics adding fuse blocks and relays.

Anyway I purchase a FiTech 40003 4 barrel throttle body from America to go with the Arizona Z 4 barrel inlet manifold that I already had. Since I didn't want to modify the fuel tank for efi I also purchase the FiTech Fuel Command Centre from a company in NSW. The original low pressure fuel pump supplies full to the FCC ( in the engine bay) and then the internal high pressure pump supplies the throttle body at 58psi. This reservoir holds about 1.5 litres. Because the throttle body is a non return fuel line system, I used the original fuel return line to the tank for the FCC vent line. The FCC must be vented. ( This is a mandatory requirement for safety as stated by FiTech ). I have been working on this in my spare time and is a work in progress. I snapped these pictures today, but due to work commitments and a wedding in NSW next weekend it will be at least 3 weeks before I get to touch the car again. I will post a video for those interested when I have got it finished. Costs so far were about $1400 for the FiTech 40003 throttle body delivered from USA and about $750 for the Fuel command Centre from NSW. I already had the Arizona Z manifold.

David (Enzo)

Attached Thumbnails

• FiTech EFI L28.JPG
  • FiTech EFI L28 Throttle body.JPG

#2 bjszed

bjszed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:46 AM

Very nice Enzo,

You will like it once you get it out. Glad you vented the FCC it into the fuel return line. I finally created a thread on hybridz  but didn't seem to be much interest. http://forums.hybrid...body-injection/ My saga getting the port vacuum working properly is in the thread.

What do you have connected to the intake manifold...vacuum distribution block ?

Brent

#3 road rider

road rider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Tagline:Life is like a bowl of hot soup.You need to be hot to get blown

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

I think it will work really well and it's a little different also.

Always wanted one of those manifolds from Arizona Z car.
Wanted to run a 4 barrel 390 Holley carb with it.

Had a 2 barrel 350 Holley/heavily ported 240K manifold(still very restrictive in airflow though)
Yes, a Holley in a 240Z!!
It did it's job well and would have been even better with a Arizona Z car manifold.

#4 Enzo

Enzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

Hi Brent, I have read your post on Hybrid Z and I think we had talked about a month or so ago. I got delayed on my installation. We talked about drilling the manifold under the throttle body for the PCV fitting. I also drilled and tapped above the PCV for a vacuum fitting so I wouldn't have to use the block on the front runner. It was your idea to use the return line for the vent because of the fuel exiting the FCC instead of just fumes. Cheers for that.
Roadrider. I did have a 390 Holley fitted to the Arizona Z manifold when on my L26 engine. It ran well but I want to put the car on the market later in the year and a FiTech 4 barrel throttle body will make the car more user friendly to someone with limited experience with a car with carbies. Some people have no idea about using a choke to start (Hitachi carbs) or tuning. With the self tune FiTech system it is get in and drive.
David.

#5 bjszed

bjszed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

Looking forward to the video ! Nice to see someone else using the system on the L6.

Edited by bjszed, 20 March 2017 - 11:47 AM.

#6 Enzo

Enzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:10 AM

L28 FiTech installation
L28 FiTech installation side

Slowly getting the FiTech EFI fitted. Spent the day polishing the lettering on the powder coated valve cover and the alloy tube for the spark plug leads. Fuel command centre is now mounted properly and fuel line brackets fitted. The low profile Spectre air hat fits nicely and attaches to the carbon fibre air cleaner with a rubber joiner off a Holden Commodore. I also had to stuff around and find a radiator cap that would seal properly. Two alloy radiators and both caps were faulty. Only have to complete some wiring and should be ready for a start maybe next weekend if time permits. Work schedule has been pretty hectic for the last couple of months and also trying to get my 1984 Suzuki Hatch finished.
David.

• 260DET likes this

#7 bjszed

bjszed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:55 AM

Looking good, I like the cold air ducted snorkel with the air hat. Might do that next year

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EFI, FiTech, Fuel command centre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users