#1 andyk_79

andyk_79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/12055-andrews-1972-240/
  • Tagline:Useless Pest asking clueless questions

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

Have done a search and couldn't find anything so hopefully I'm not covering old ground.

Does anyone have any tips for freeing up the standard choke cables? Mine require more pressure than I would have thought normal. Are these like old motorbike cables that need lubricating?

I was a bite nervous to put stiff choke lubrication into Google - never sure what might come back.......

#2 aircobra

aircobra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:54 AM

after 45 years, most of them are rooted. this is becuase they're just plain mild steel, without the various coatings and seals that are common today. they're basically bicycle cables. would you ride you bike with 45 y.o cables?

my solution - send them off to a place called con-wire to be replicated -  no friction at ll.

• gav240z likes this

#3 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:05 AM

Remove the lot, pull out inner, if it is single wire, and squirt silicon spray lube down inside the outer, hang it vertical for an hour, re-insert inner.
If its a fine multi strand inner, chances are it'll be a bugger to get back inside, so dont remove.
Pull it out 1-2", make a rough funnel around outer, useing kids plasticene, fill funnel shape with spray silucone, hang for a few hours, bit more spray, work inner in and out a bit.

#4 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,394 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:40 AM

my solution - send them off to a place called con-wire to be replicated -  no friction at ll.

Got any photos of the work they did? Would love to see it.

#5 Andrew_L26

Andrew_L26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Tagline:That Purple Zed

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

All I did with mine was get some bicycle gear/brake cable lube and pour it down inside (unbolted from the carbs, held them up in the air and fed oil down inside. Quick fix and a year later they are still silky smooth!

Andrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users