Can You Bolt On The Drive Shaft To The Wheels First When Replacing Diff?

• Moderators

Yes you can.

If its a r180 diff there is a flange on the diff side. But you need some thin,short open ended spanners as there isnt much room.

The R180 in my bus does not have the flanges, the half shafts push into to diff and are secured by a central bolt.

I suspect that my car has been altered from factory though.

Does your diff have the flanges or not ?

Edited by PB260Z

The R180 in my bus does not have the flanges, the half shafts push into to diff and are secured by a central bolt.

I suspect that my car has been altered from factory though.

Nope, yours is probably all original. R180s I've seen in both Zeds (& 240Ks too) use a central bolt at the diff head, while the R200s in 260Zs like mine have the 4 bolts.

But no doubt Nissan built R180s with 4 bolts like RetroZ says.

There were various diffs installed depending on whether car was 240, 260, 2+2, manual or auto.

The stub axle is bolted in on 240z (r180) and clipped on 260z (r200)

But aircobras question is can he bolt in the driveshaft afterwards, Which is yes.

Either diff has the flange on the stub axle to bolt onto the halfshaft (drive shaft)

If you loosen the rear control arms you can move the whole assembly (strut and brakes) out of the way but the shafts have enough compression and extension to clear the studs on the stub axles to install/uninstall the diff)

spir6e.jpg

Edited by Retro Z

• Moderators

The stub axle is bolted in on 240z (r180) and clipped on 260z (r200)

But aircobras question is can he bolt in the driveshaft afterwards, Which is yes.

Either diff has the flange on the stub axle to bolt onto the halfshaft (drive shaft)

If you loosen the rear control arms you can move the whole assembly (strut and brakes) out of the way but the shafts have enough compression and extension to clear the studs on the stub axles to install/uninstall the diff)]

Yeah, I lost sight of aircobra's original question.

That is exactly how I did mine, and it was a simple enough job.