• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jthompson165

jthompson165

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:10 AM

Hi guys, i've been looking around but couldn't really find anything specifically on 2+2 engine swaps with an Rb26.

Its going to be a long project with the goal of being able to drive legally on the streets and maybe the occasional track. 

Ive currently got a 1975 260z 2+2 with a L28 with twin SU carbs and an auto transmission. 

The plan is to completely swap the engine out for an Rb26, convert to manual (not sure of what transmission will work) and upgrade everything that needs to be upgraded with the added horsepower... (Breaks, diff etc.)

The problem is there are a few posts on 260z coupes doing this but little on 2+2's specifically. I'm not sure of the differences between the 2 when it comes to certain parts, and what can work on a 260 that cant on a 2+2.

Sorry for the vagueness, just trying to get an idea of the important factors before I get to specifics.

Cheers,

Jordan

#2 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Tagline:260z coupe in slow build, Now with RB25DE powah!!

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:57 AM

the wheelbase is longer and the ass is a little wider, the doors are different and there is a back seat (obviously)

As to parts specific to the conversion, the tailshaft will be slightly longer.
Thats pretty much it.
Given that your probably going to have to get a custom tail shaft made up anyway, its really not a bid deal, you'll be able to use pretty much any RB conversion as a guide for yours.
for the transmission you have 2 initial choices. Either a RB25DE tansmission will fit between the gear box crossmember mounts in the tunnel with the downside of being weaker, so no good if your turbo charging it, or you go with a RB25DET box and modify the tunnel mounts, and then it'll handle the power. The DE box is cheaper, the DET box is pretty sought after. I have seen DE boxes selling for $300-600, whereas a DET box generally costs round $1000-1400
You may be able to fit a different gearbox, eg 300zx, Supra, S15 6 speed ect, but you'll need to investigate bellhousing adaptors, box strenght vs application ect

Before you source an engine you need to ask yourself a few questions.
1. Will it be turbo or modded for big power?
2. If your keeping it turbo, do you want a single turbo or twins? (leads into question 3)
3. Do you really want a RB26? Or will a RB25 tick the boxes? The RB25 can be found as a package a lot easier and more affordable than a RB26.
The RB26 will also require a new sump because the front differential for the AWD system is built in (same with the RB25 if you source it from a Stagea)

I would also highly reccomend keeping the stock ECU to run the whole thing, at least for the purpose of installation, inital tuning/bug hunting, engineering and rego.
It'll make emissions testing a lot easier to pass.
The ECU wiring loom is reasonably simple to isolate from the skyline wiring loom and set up as a stand alone system.

(any questions, hit me up)

Edited by nizm0zed, 16 February 2017 - 12:01 PM.

• jthompson165 likes this

#3 jthompson165

jthompson165

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

Thank you thats a big help!

I've already bought a Rb26 with twins. Managed to get a deal I couldn't pass up so I guess that answers those questions haha!

Still deciding whether to stick with the twins or a larger single as well as how much power I really want to get out of it.

Big thanks again! 

Edited by jthompson165, 16 February 2017 - 01:14 PM.

#4 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Tagline:260z coupe in slow build, Now with RB25DE powah!!

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:01 PM

no worries, anytime.

the factory twins will make it very responsive and fun to drive, its going to be lighter than a skyline anyway ;)

#5 garvice

garvice

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,9260.0.html

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

Can also use 300zx gearbox with rb26 transmission bell housing. Check my thread linked below (stalled a long time ago).

#6 garvice

garvice

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,9260.0.html

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:51 PM

^ Just realised there want much info in above link. Essentially rb26 bell housing bolts to 300zx gearbox. 300zx gearboxes were about 500 as opposed too 1000 to 1500 for a rb25det gearbox (when I bought mine a few years ago). I also managed to sell the rb26 gear box for about 600 sans bell housing.
  • jthompson165 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users