Photo

Which Rubber Compound Or Cork For Fuel Tank Gaskets?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KatoKid

KatoKid

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts
  • Tagline:Split loyalties between the M and the Z

Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:33 PM

Hi all.

I had to pull the fuel tank from my car as I had a problem with the sender and luckily I did as the rubber gasket I had make was badly damaged by the petrol.

I had bought some rubber sheet from Purple Pig which they recommended for fuel and I think it was nitrile but it obviously wasn't robust enough. Instead I'm thinking of going with good old fashioned cork but have no idea where to buy small sheets. Any suggestions on where to buy appropriate cork or good fuel resistant rubber gasket material would be appreciated?

Cheers 

#2 elcarter

elcarter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:26 PM

O-rings in the aviation industry used for fuel are Buna-N. The term impervious is used to describe it's ability to operate in fuel applications.

Nitrile might be an easier term at local retailers to source.

We also use the old fashioned cork with a liquid "red" buna-n to seal both ends in these applications. Permatex have a good gasket sealer that's rated for fuel.

Cork might be an easier alternative as it's a low pressure application and possibly readily available in sheet form to aid in easy manufacture.

Not used this brand but looks to be what your after

http://www.superchea...75-x-400mm/8516

Edit; sorry didn't notice you were in south mexico? Not sure if it's accurate location but super cheaps not down that way.

Edited by elcarter, 06 February 2017 - 06:28 PM.

#3 KatoKid

KatoKid

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts
  • Tagline:Split loyalties between the M and the Z

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:51 PM

Thanks EL.

Bursons had rubberized cork but it was  a big roll and $50 so went with the Supercrap stuff although I'm highly suspicious of the quality of anything they sell. Feels robust enough but I will also run some side by side tests with another nitrile rubber I sourced today from Powell Industrial (who took over Purple Pig).

#4 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:59 PM

so went with the Supercrap stuff although I'm highly suspicious of the quality of anything they sell.

Yeah, Experience has taught me that, aside from known brands, Supercheap productsare exactly that - cheap and poor quality.
What amazes me if the amount of stuff they sell that is not ADR approved, surely there is some sort of legal exposure if something goes wrong ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users