Topy Steel / Spare Wheels - Eoi?

gav240z

Yep that's the same set-up a family friend had with his early-80's 280ZX he bought new in NZ way back in the day. That's why I threw the idea in the ring. There are a number of trashed 280ZXs around but whether such cars were all supplied in Australia with full alloy wheel sets or had space savers I wouldn't know.

Edited by gilltech

Yes same thought occurred to me B2.....

But what about other Datsuns of the period with 14" wheels? 240C & 260C had 5-stud, & many like 1600s for example had 13" IIRC, but what about 180B or 240K?

Would have to have the right slotted-hole pattern though of course.

Edited by gilltech

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

No problem, bit of an update though. I recently had some large expensive bills which has put a dent in my plans to ship large items from the US back to Australia. At least in the short term. I will let everyone know when this is back on again.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Just an update got my invoice today for the 69 date stamped Topy's which are due to clear customs in the next week or so. Total shipping cost from the Warehouse in the US was $134.00 (provided no additional quarantine fees come in). Which is very good. I think the shipping costs within the US were the same if not higher!

• Administrators

Recently brought 5 wheels in.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/11264-safari-brown-i-mean-gold-the-nsw-project/?p=194045

Shipping was cheaper because the tyres were removed.

I wonder if folks are interested in the original tyres or not? Some of the wheels I have access to in the US were original spares and therefore still have the original tyre.

For the 73's I am after I wouldn't mind either way - however if one of the rims had the original spare tyre on it still I would be keen, as long as the additional cost for freight wasn't extortionate. The other 4 would make more sense to send without tyres

• Administrators

Price difference isn't huge. I think it's like $10 cheaper per wheel or something but to remove the tyre before shipping would likely be more of a pain than paying the extra to be honest.

I was keen on importing the original tyres - particularly if it was to become a spare for originality sake.

I was keen on importing the original tyres - particularly if it was to become a spare for originality sake.

You could put an original set of wheels/tyres on for display purposes after transporting the car on a trailer, but personally I wouldn't go driving on 45-yr old tyres, no way.

• 3 months later...

Hi Folks.

I may be doing a bulk shipment of Topy steel wheels from the US.

Current inventory of date stamps looks like this.

1970 = 3*
1971 = 1
1972 = 2
1973 = 7
1974 = 2
1975 = 5
1976 = 0
1977 = 0
1978 = 3

*I'll probably keep the 1970 date stamp wheels for my own car and maybe the 1971 until I find another 70.

I may be able to find some 1969 date stamped TOPYs off a Datsun Roadster (with the little tabs for the caps which can be removed) and are 14x4.5j wide.

I would guesstimate that a set of 4 would cost around $1,200 - $1,500 each. Factoring in shipping costs + import duties on this end etc.. This may or may not include powder coating them to appear as new. To be honest it's difficult to quote a final price until I've done this at least once. So this price might be on the higher side, as I'd rather over quote than under if that makes sense?

If you're interested just reply to the thread or send me a PM.

As you know these are almost impossible to find locally. 

Hi Gav,

Would the 73's still be available ?

• Administrators

Hi Gav,

Would the 73's still be available ?

The guy I'm trying to import stuff from is slow moving, he's up in the air as to what he wants to sell and keep. I haven't been pushing it too hard because I have had tax returns, bills to sort etc.. I have got a couple of roof turrets on their way and importing a bonnet etc.. I already imported 1 set of wheels (keeping for myself at the moment) and a rear 1/4 panel to get familiar with the process and costs etc..

I've been in touch with a couple of other folks stateside with panels etc.. but always difficult when you haven't met them in person. Their communication sort of drops off. I find eBay good because sellers are willing to ship within the US relatively easily and they have confidence in eBay ratings etc.. but often I'm not dealing with a bulk shipment so it's 1 off items here and there.

I think a couple have expressed interest in the 73 wheels, but I can try find more. A guy in LA has a bunch also, but they tend to be spare wheels out of parts cars so hard to find a set of 73's with the same month stamp, if that's a concern? I guess it's a bit like rivet counting at that stage..

Side note: My first 73 240z had all it's Topy's on it when I went to see it (no hubcaps fitted as 1 had fallen off and the owner didn't want to lose them so he removed them all and put them aside) and I just keep thinking how much I regret not taking them years ago! Still kills me inside...