Topy Steel / Spare Wheels - Eoi?

gav240z

• Administrators

Hi Folks.

I may be doing a bulk shipment of Topy steel wheels from the US.

Current inventory of date stamps looks like this.

1970 = 3*
1971 = 1
1972 = 2
1973 = 7
1974 = 2
1975 = 5
1976 = 0
1977 = 0
1978 = 3

*I'll probably keep the 1970 date stamp wheels for my own car and maybe the 1971 until I find another 70.

I may be able to find some 1969 date stamped TOPYs off a Datsun Roadster (with the little tabs for the caps which can be removed) and are 14x4.5j wide.

I would guesstimate that a set of 4 would cost around $1,200 - $1,500 each. Factoring in shipping costs + import duties on this end etc.. This may or may not include powder coating them to appear as new. To be honest it's difficult to quote a final price until I've done this at least once. So this price might be on the higher side, as I'd rather over quote than under if that makes sense?

If you're interested just reply to the thread or send me a PM.

As you know these are almost impossible to find locally. 

• Administrators

Hey Ash,

It should be stamped into the face of the rim. I think I looked at your 1 and it was from a 260z (75/76) I think. You can just see this 1 says 69 after the TOPY.

s-l1600.jpg

• Administrators

I got a set of 72+ hubcaps (Z center) in rough shape.

I might try importing a set of 4 first and see how that goes and costs etc.. then I'll be in a better position to say exact prices.

• Administrators

There is only 1 (71) wheel at this stage. But I'm looking at multiple sources for these wheels. Going to see if I can co-ordinate shipping them all on 1 pallet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

So some news on this, been looking into logistics and have my first set of Topy Wheels (this set of 5 are 68 date stamped from a Datsun Roadster. 4.5j x 14inch - TOPY 10-684 1/2 J x 14 62H) on their way to a Warehouse. Once I confirmed they have arrived. I'll look at sending more to the same location for shipment.

A couple of folks have asked, but Roadster wheels are the same, apart from little nubs or tabs on the inner rim surface for fitment of the earlier style hubcaps. These can be ground off if required. The 65 and earlier roadsters had 13" wheels and different offset so ideally you want 66+ Roadster wheels which are 4.5j like early 240z's.

Nubs/Tabs. You can just see them in this pic.

s-l1600.jpg

Roadster hubcaps.

DSC05452-e1348456139992.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to check with fairlady wheels (if you are searching for 100% originality)  is the centre bore for the hub. Not sure on zed's, but fairladies have quite a large hole to allow the wheel to fit over the massive hub.

I know R31 skyline wheels fit perfectly OK on my 1600 (of the 510 variety) but don't even go close to fitting on my 1600 (of the fairlady variety).

Edited by 1600dave

• Administrators

I bought a set of 5 of these. Here is a photo of 1 of them. Which happens to show a tape measure also.

I can't visually see any major difference with the S30Z style wheels, apart from the tabs on the front.

FYI: These just arrived at the Warehouse. I'm looking to add more to the shipment.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Administrators

Yeah I can get all kinds of date stamped ones. The earlier ones are hardest though! But as you say they look pretty much the same throughout the years.

I suppose it all depends on just how "original" you want your Z to be.

Date stamp on a wheel is definitely beyond my originality desires!!

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

So far I've bought 5 wheels (all 1969 date stamp) in 4.5j I'm looking to buy more and import but waiting on some cashflow to make it happen.

In the interim just found this image.

s-l1600.jpg

Same car but with Kobe Seiko Rally Mags.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Found via eBayer:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/raceandrallymemories

• Administrators

Whats the deal with these rims. ?

Were they a limited factory release or something?

Topy steel wheels were fitted to all cars from the factory (exception is later 260z's with alloys, PS30 with Kobe Seiko wheels), most were turfed, removed, fitted to trailers or lost to eternity of steel in the sky (or is that ground?).

Like original hubcaps, now very hard to get.

I know this is the wrong date range for you personally gav240Z, but perhaps useful to someone at a stretch - I noticed that early 280ZXs came out with space saver spare wheels, steel rims; perhaps same 4.5 size? Or was that space saver wheel a NZ thing & your Aus cars came with 5 alloys?

• Administrators

Yes I believe the North American 280z's with Fuel Injection had a different fuel tank set up and as a result had a smaller spare tyre well.

They still came with a Topy wheel but had a space saver tyre with a tube to inflate it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-s30-inflatable-spare-flat-tire-kit-tool-240z-260z-280z-Nissan-280zx-tools-/192135182634

s-l1600.jpg

77-789falsefloorMedium.jpg

Not sure about the false floor thing, never seen it in an AU market car.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/63630-identifying-true-year-of-s30/