#1 Balinski

Balinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

Hey all, 

Has anyone seen an early 70s Hakosuka Skyline (non GTR model) sell in Australia before? Just curious to see what they're worth as I've never seen one listed anywhere. More interested in knowing what 2000 GTX's (most common model) sell for over here. 

Thanks, 

Attached Thumbnails

• 8_24_13-038r.jpg
  • 575212_630227517008547_1329011628_n.jpg
  • 11_10_12-031.jpg

Edited by Balinski, 03 January 2017 - 07:17 PM.

#2 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Tagline:Datsun obsessed

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

I don't know but I'm interested as that would complete my Datsun stable.
I recommend you try getting in contact with Babalouie who has a GTX in Sydney. He is on various forums. I know he is on Performance Forums. Here's his build thread over there. It's a long but very in depth read.

http://www.performan...akosuka-Skyline

#3 Balinski

Balinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:22 PM

Thanks mate, will try get in touch! 

I don't know but I'm interested as that would complete my Datsun stable.
I recommend you try getting in contact with Babalouie who has a GTX in Sydney. He is on various forums. I know he is on Performance Forums. Here's his build thread over there. It's a long but very in depth read.

http://www.performan...akosuka-Skyline

#4 Retro Z

Retro Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  • Tagline:73' 240z and 72’ 240z

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

$35-70k is what ive been quoted by some importers for a replica gtr with a L series engine. The 4 doors are a little cheaper.

#5 Balinski

Balinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:52 PM

So this is from what he wrote in that thread: 

"Bought it for Y2.7mil [roughly $27,000 AUD] in Japan, and as it stands, before rego/engo it probably owes me $35k."

And,

"To get a car landed for early 20s you'd have to buy at about Y1.3-1.4m, and while there are cars at that level, that's at the very, very bottom of the market. There seemed to be 3 tiers of cars: Y1.5~2.0m (unrestored) then a big jump to Y2.5~2.8m (restored but stockish), then another big gap to cars Y3.5~4.5m (which are full-house showcars like say, which have had RB26 conversions etc).

Cars in the lowest band looked like they needed work, the cars in the Y2.5-2.8 band were the "nothing to spend" cars (which hasn't quite turned out to be true in my case!)."

35k landed/registered in Aus sure doesn't seem like much for a Hako.. However, he bought that one in 2008 - they've risen a lot in value since then. If a decent looking 2000 GT/GTX were to be sold in Australia today, I'd assume it would fetch around the 55k mark, but I'm no expert. 

#6 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:02 PM

One came in, along with a proper GTR and a 432Za couple years ago, into Brisbane.
The GTX was around to $70k AUD figure.
It turned out that it had had some fairly below par rust repairs in it, but has now been very well repaired by a oldschool type Brisbane resto shop.

#7 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,381 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:19 PM

Basically what Jason said above, you're looking at 70k for a clean example and then once you've imported it pray you don't discover the bad rust repairs done to many of them. Remember they were once cheap cars.

Honestly if looking for a very good example that isn't badly botched in it's previous life. I'd almost bank on a figure closer to 80-100k...depending on what you wanted done to it and at what level.

Many will think I'm mad, but honestly... that's what it costs for a good example.

Quite a few for sale here in Japan.

http://www.goo-net-e...katashiki=KGC10
http://www.goo-net-e...atashiki=KPGC10
http://www.goo-net-e...0&katashiki=C10
  • Balinski likes this

#8 scott

scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:11 AM

i would get it well inspected as alot may look pretty but will be hiding many sin's. Prices are rising sharp and u will be hard pressed to find anything under 40 del for something rough. If u want something good 50-100k will be the going  factory. U need to decide if u want a project car to start with or something pre done.

• Balinski likes this

#9 Balinski

Balinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:33 AM

It's not too easy to book an inspection for a car in a foreign country haha.. I can definitely handle some minor fab work. But does anyone here know Japanese and have a Yahoo.jp account? I'm interested in one that's listed on there, but judging from the pictures it has some rust along the side and is bubbling in a few places. Unfortunately they didn't take any close-ups of the bad bits, only from a distance..argh.. 

i would get it well inspected as alot may look pretty but will be hiding many sin's. Prices are rising sharp and u will be hard pressed to find anything under 40 del for something rough. If u want something good 50-100k will be the going  factory. U need to decide if u want a project car to start with or something pre done.

What shop is it that you speak of? I've been meaning to look around for a body shop in Bris, but would prefer to take the car to a shop where they're familiar with Jap classics..

One came in, along with a proper GTR and a 432Za couple years ago, into Brisbane.
The GTX was around to $70k AUD figure.
It turned out that it had had some fairly below par rust repairs in it, but has now been very well repaired by a oldschool type Brisbane resto shop.

#10 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

I've been meaning to look around for a body shop in Bris, but would prefer to take the car to a shop where they're familiar with Jap classics..

For an old school shop that does good work I would recommend Gasoline Alley at Brendale. Excellent quality work, done right and with plenty of care, unfortunately not cheap, but very much worth it.

http://www.gasolinealley.com.au/ or https://www.facebook...90255934432909/

At the moment they have a Zed in for major restoration work, it is a bare shell on a frame at the moment.

They have also done panel work on other Zeds and a few other Jap cars.

Work I have had them do includes my Charger restoration, still ongoing and a full strip back to bare shell and no expense spared restoration, a closed door respray and panel work for my MX5 and some electrical work on my 240Z race car when I didn't have time to sort it out due to work.

The shop mainly does American stuff, typically Mopar and Ford with some GM and also Australian muscle cars. 

The shop is also in the fortunate position of being flat outwith plenty of work booked up and they can pick and choose what they want to do.

The work is top quality with some very nice cars being restored/built and pretty much all done in house, with only some trimming having to be outsourced.

#11 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,381 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:39 PM

To get a car inspected in Japan, try getting in contact with Kristian Appelt at Iron Chef imports.

http://www.ironchefimports.com/

He helped me import my FD RX-7 (from Europe) and whilst I can't vouch for his body work inspection skills he knows the process very well and may have contacts to help with inspection of vehicles you're interested in.

#12 Balinski

Balinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

Thanks Gav, just sent an email - mentioned you directed me their way. How reasonable were they with fees/charges when you imported? 

To get a car inspected in Japan, try getting in contact with Kristian Appelt at Iron Chef imports.

http://www.ironchefimports.com/

He helped me import my FD RX-7 (from Europe) and whilst I can't vouch for his body work inspection skills he knows the process very well and may have contacts to help with inspection of vehicles you're interested in.

#13 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,381 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:58 PM

Very transparent with all charges and up front about the process. Nothing was hidden or buried. I was advised on all the headaches if I decided to do it myself and as a result I was happy to pay their fee for their expertise to avoid getting caught in bureaucratic red tape. I would use them again if I was to import a car which is usually a good indication of how things went I'd say.

They will give you a quote in advance with a breakdown of all expenses, most are not their fee's. So you'll see where all the money goes... Basically Australian import duties are a rip off.. But not their fault for that. So I would come up with a price range you're looking at then ask them for a quote based on that price range if you imported said vehicle. You may adjust your budget after that.

Importing a car is a bit like buying a block of land and building on it (instead of just buying a block with a house on it), everyone always has a figure in mind as to the costs which is a gross underestimate of the actual cost when all is said and done. Since there is always going to be a surprise along the way.

If you can find a local example for sale it's almost always going to work out better, the problem is there is only a handful of these cars in the country and most who own them probably don't want to sell them anytime soon.

• Balinski likes this

#14 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:39 PM

If Gaso Alley cant do anything, try Senco on Kenwood Pl Brendale.
Another bloke also in Brendale is Joe Farmer, ( called Classic & Restorations, something?)

#15 Balinski

Balinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

Onto an entirely different topic now that there's some attention gained in this space.. How much do you fellas think a complete L28 (F54 with P90 head and 280zx 5 speed box) setup is worth? Theres a guy near me selling one with everything including ecu and turbo setup (he's willing to separate it from engine) but it's in serious need of a tune and the gearbox needs a rebuild. Also has an oil leak coming from the gasket near the timing chain at the front. If I were to buy it, I'd ditch the turbo setup, give it a proper rebuild and put some carbs on. Thoughts?

#16 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:33 PM

Just make sure it is a correct and proper turbo exhaust manifold, for L28ET
There have been cases where the much smaller, and very poor flowing 2 litre turbo exhaust mani is used, as a substitute.
They dont work so well.
How much? Well, I got this piece of string, not sure how long it is,,,,,!

#17 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,381 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:27 AM

I think you're getting ahead of yourself (not that we haven't fallen victim to this ourselves in the past) and I'd worry about getting the car first and when it arrives seeing if you got what you thought you were getting? Then I'd look at engine options and what you want to do.

• Balinski likes this

#18 curtis 240z

curtis 240z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:26 AM

A friend of mine bought a c10 GTR replica mid last year, over all its a relatively tidy car but as said it has had rust repairs at some stage and they were on the rough side, in saying that we are fastidious with rust and maintenance. Buy the time the car was landed and registered it owed around 80k. Its had mods done like most of them and has had some engine work. What we understand is this was a fair price given the condition of the car and what the improvements were and yes it is hard to find an honest example as most have had a Mexican restoration. As a few of us have being saying for over 12 months how the Z car prices are rising, the c10 has risen faster as I remember Phil Lee advertising a tidy c10 GTR replica for 45k roughly 5 years ago, that same car would probably retail for around 90k now!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2903.jpg

• gav240z likes this

#19 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:43 PM

That Edward Lees thing was definitely a mexican resto.

• andyk_79 likes this

#20 alex.a

alex.a

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:35 PM

Haha I remember putting that Edward Lee c10 on a hoist and marveling at where the chassis ended and the fiberglass began.. shame as it was such a nice looking car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users