Turn Signal Flasher Unit Repair

Andrew_L26

So my flasher unit has died. The previous owner did some funky wiring to bypass the turn signal flasher and use the hazard flasher unit. The problem with this is that the hazards only function when the indicator stalk is switched on one way or another. I've pulled apart the Niles turn signal can and I'm thinking that considering everything looks fine inside it may just be the capacitor that needs to be replaced. I'm going to give it ago when I get a new cap. I was also looking cheap generic flasher units as I don't particularly feel like spending 60$ on a NOS flasher unit! Has anyone replaced the cap in one of these units/used a cheap generic one?

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew_L26

Hi Andrew,

It sounds like the previous owner has over-complicated the hazard lights setup.

I believe that all Australian delivered 240Z's and 260Z's can be fitted with hazard lights very simply.

Have a read through this topic to see how;

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/6506-240z-hazard-switch/

On the topic of flasher units, I recommend that you just buy a generic electronic unit. These should provide a longer life and the flashing rate is unaffected by the load, eg. if you fit LED bulbs.

Hi Andrew,

It sounds like the previous owner has over-complicated the hazard lights setup.

I believe that all Australian delivered 240Z's and 260Z's can be fitted with hazard lights very simply.

Have a read through this topic to see how;

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/6506-240z-hazard-switch/

On the topic of flasher units, I recommend that you just buy a generic electronic unit. These should provide a longer life and the flashing rate is unaffected by the load, eg. if you fit LED bulbs.

It looks like it had hazards from factory it's just the indicator flasher unit died and they just used the hazard flasher. I'll have a look at that Narva flasher unit. I'll give the cap replacement a go and if it fails I'll grab the electronic one.

Cheers guys!

• Moderators

I thought they were the same unit ??

I agree the same units for Flasher and Hazzard, well they are in my '77.

I just grabbed two electronic ones from the auto parts store, cheap and work well.

Cheers

PB