Installing New Rear Wheel Bearings

vspecrob

Hi all,

I have a set of 260z stub axles which I am about to fit to my 240z with a new set of wheel bearings.

My question is... Is there a thread somewhere on the forum that explains how to perform this task, and any tricks to make the process easier??

or

Can anyone enlighten me on how to do it?  I have heard of placing the stub axles and bearings in the freezer overnight and placing the rear casing into the oven on the highest heat and then fitting them together... ??? 

Please help  :-\

Cheers

No, they aren't that tight.

Just drift the bearings in with a large socket and a decent directional accelerometer or use a shop press.

Make sure the housing is clean, and after the bearings are fully home, tap the seal right in otherwise it binds on the stub flange.
Tighten to 'FT'.

Axle's will just tap in - they are only a light interference fit with the bearings.

You can reuse the nuts if they are in reasonable condition with Loctite. New one's are available from Nissan, but they only come in packs of 5...

Edited by Lurch ™

Well I just pressed my new rear bearings in using a borrowed press & an old school expert fitter & turner mate of mine told me off when he found out! He believes that the correct way is to heat/cool the respective parts so they more easily install to each other & little pressing force is required. My bad. Your call.

The bearings should just knock on. No pressing or shrink fitting required, if that kind of excess force is required something isn't right!

Clean the shaft and inspect, if there is any sharp edges or marks you will need to file them out. Grab some GP grease and put a light smear on the shaft then place the bearings on. Knock them on with a socket or peice of pipe try to knock the inner bearing race.

A press could be used but only to assist in making sure the bearing is being pushed on square. Although it can be difficult to judge the force being applied.

Good luck

Chris

Edited by blu260z

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/rearwheelbearings/index.html

This may help? Not exactly how I would do it but it gives you a good idea of the steps and processes. It also has some good tips.

This is one of those jobs that some people will tackle with little thought or concern and others will get completely messed up about. Depending on your confidence and abilitys it's quite straightforward.

Jeff

If this is a 240Z then make sure you use the original 240Z spacers.

They will be stamped 'A', 'B' or 'C' and the original 240Z stub housing will be stamped with a MATCHING 'A', 'B' or 'C'.

The 260Z axles may have come with spacers, they will only work if the markings match those of the axle housings.

Pretty sure I've got this correct but confirmation would be reassuring.

Another bit of advice, if you are taking the struts out of the car run a honing tool through the holes where the spindle pin goes to make it easier to insert and remove the pin in the future.

Also 280ZX stub axle nuts are the same as 240/260Z but are an upset nut and don't need to be peened on like the originals. I have the part number at home somewhere and Ferntree Gully Nissan in Melbourne were happy to sell me just 2 of the nuts instead of the 5 pack.