Muscle Car Masters Oct 29-30

Brett240

finished outright 4th, top 3 porkers too much grunt, too much grip, way bigger brakes. 

we had 4 Z's running which is a great turnout. Wayne Potts got caught up Porsche dicing otherwise we would have had a fun battle. 

the car has a master cylinder problem which meant the brakes occasionally dropped to the floor, happened to me twice going into turn one which is scary to say the least. 

ill post vids and photos later 

the car has a master cylinder problem which meant the brakes occasionally dropped to the floor, happened to me twice going into turn one which is scary to say the least.

Brown pants moment for sure.

Was it just the first pump hit the deck then you got pressure or nothing at all?

Great results though and look forward to some footage.

Mick

First pump hit the deck, then a second pump gave full pedal. Was an intermittent problem.

Ita running again at eastern Creek in two weeks time at the tasman. Going right over it with new seals throughout before then.

ots un-settling when it does that. Second pump would give half height redal, around 5-6 laps.

These cars need a brake solution.

They are a "workplace" and assuch should be safe for the requirements they are now being subjected to, which is far above the original engineering requirement when they were built new.

Porsche -over-engineered, greater margins

Datsun basic engineered, meeting basic requirements.

ots un-settling when it does that. Second pump would give half height redal, around 5-6 laps.

These cars need a brake solution.

They are a "workplace" and assuch should be safe for the requirements they are now being subjected to, which is far above the original engineering requirement when they were built new.

Porsche -over-engineered, greater margins

Datsun basic engineered, meeting basic requirements.

from what i gathered over the weekend we will never get better brakes. i think we will have to put up with pounding through pads, discs and fluid every meet. 

its so odd that it goes to the floor and only needs one pump of the brakes to come back. the first time it happened i overran turn 1 and only just kept it on the black stuff. lets see how a total seal overhaul goes. 

Edited by Brett240

from what i gathered over the weekend we will never get better brakes. 

its so odd that it goes to the floor and only needs one pump of the brakes to come back. the first time it happened i overran turn 1 and only just kept it on the black stuff. lets see how a total seal overhaul goes. 

didn't you have new twin master cylinder setup?

didn't you have new twin master cylinder setup?

yep, though we had a balance problem with the pedal connection to the cylinders so if the front cylinder gave way the rear would not hold the pedal up, we couldn't get decent pressure to the rears. still a mystery to be solved over the next week.

Did it only happen on T1? What's it like coming into T17?

yeah only on T1 and once on T2 ( which I think was a coincidence ), after going all the way down the straight and only happened 3 or 4 times all weekend. so its not a cooling problem of the caliper/rotor, if it was you'd think it would happen over the back somewhere..

rock solid on T17 and every other corner all weekend.

I suspect the front master cylinder must be sucking air in around the reservoir, we found a small leak there. if it is its hard to bleed out, you have to bleed the whole line. that's one of the things that will be fixed for the next race.  

Edited by Brett240

from what i gathered over the weekend we will never get better brakes. i think we will have to put up with pounding through pads, discs and fluid every meet. 

New seals should fix it, can't imagine that it's solely the result of heavy race use. Has anyone tried cyrogenic treatment of the rotors to extend their life? On brake pads, I ordered a set of Project Mu club racer pads and was shocked to see that they had a lot of metal bits in the compound so they were sent back. Good high temp compounds don't have metal bits in them period. I'm sold on Carbotech pads, they just about stand the Zed on it's nose, the big rotors get hot enough to have tiny surface cracking but rotor wear is not a problem.

Edited by 260DET