Wtb: 240Z Drivers Door Glass - Blue Tint

specialp3

Looking for an NOS or very clean unmarked drivers door glass in the US blue tint colour.

Can anybody help.

Happy to pay good money ($1000+) as all the glass I have is NOS except the drivers door.

Same part number as the image attached even better.

post-101180-0-53429800-1477386147_thumb.jpg

It is an Australian delivered car but has been restored with mostly NOS parts. I could not find new clear glass at the time. 

I prefer the look of the blue tint and have been able to find NOS except the drivers door.

Does anybody know where I might find the glass I need ???

Warren (all z) had an NOS drivers side glass many years ago and sold it to someone in QLD, foolishly I did not buy it. 6 months later I came across all NOS glass except the the drivers.

Since then I have bought every NOS part I have come across.

I agree that the blue tint looks better.

Have you got the blue windscreen as well?

Seems lucky you have found NOS blue tint at all when you say it wasn't generally used on Aus-spec 240Zs.

Or was it spare stock for 260Z 2-seaters - did the Aus-spec 260Z 2-seaters get blue, like NZ cars did?

If so do the 240 & 260 2-seater use the same bolting pattern; I've noticed variations in 2+2 glass on eBay & Gumtree hence my question.

If you can just find a good used blue window without deep scratches & have it polished.....

I can recall, as a youngster, my father, and my uncles, having quite a few USA left hand drive cars, including Pontiac GTO, Buick Skylark, Caddy Eldorado, Mustamgs, AMC-AMX, Corvettes, all had the blueish tint to windows along with the blue fading top of windscreen band.

Must be a USA thing!

The glass tint, or alternatively just the tint band at top of windscreen, were both available options in lieu of plain clear glass spec at the time my early Mustangs were built.

I can't imagine why Aus-new 240Zs would have been generally spec'd with clear glass, for a country with this much sunlight?

Edited by gilltech

All the glass I found was from Japan.

I am very confident that 240/260 2 seaters have the same bolting pattern.

A few years ago I purchased the glass from a US 280z 2 seater and it does not work with the 240. Exactly the same shape but the holes in the bottom of the door glass are in different position.

• Administrators

I can try and help find a good blue tinted glass in the US for you, I have a contact in SFO who helps me locate parts. I have been wanting to get early S30z vertical defrost glass. Only concern with shipping is breakage. But my contact is pretty good with packaging things up so they don't get damaged.

I have also been looking at importing whole cars and bulk panel shipments also. Which might be a better way to transport glass.

A few years ago I purchased the glass from a US 280z 2 seater and it does not work with the 240. Exactly the same shape but the holes in the bottom of the door glass are in different position.

I can try and help find a good blue tinted glass in the US for you,

If Specialp3 is correct though then only a 260Z glass will fit his 240. And the 260 was a one-year only model in the USA.

But if there was a change in the bolting pattern for whatever reason then I suspect it was done part-way through the 260 & 280Z production years.

Toughened glass can't be altered, but maybe the mounting bracket can be?

Specialp3, have you touched base with the NZ Datsun Z Club? NZ has a variety of 240/260/280/2+2 Zeds, some sold NZ-new, but many others are used car imports from Australia, the UK, Nth America, Japan, Asia, wherever, often brought in by returning expats. It shouldn't be impossible to find a blue-tint door glass, I could be wrong but my impression when I was a club member there - many years ago now - was that clear glass was less common in club cars than blue-tint. Worth a try, or check out TradeMe.com the NZ equivalent to eBay.

Edited by gilltech

It's subtle, but you can see the difference when you put a blue tint beside a clear (which if anything has a very slight green tinge to it).

The original blue screen on my 260 got double bulls-eye stone damaged on the open road (NZ) so I claimed on my insurance as it had free windscreen replacement. The replacement which was installed gratis though wasn't a Nissan screen, but an aftermarket Australian-made screen, & it's clear. The original was too far gone to repair, so I purchased a good used blue screen (in NZ) to install if I ever get around to restoring the car.

So I guess my gratis screen was made clear to suit Aus-new cars & was all that was available.

Hi Gav,

I will take some photo's this weekend and check the part number on the watermarks (photo in the first post is from the blue tint) too see if they are the same.

If you do have contacts in the States I would be very grateful for you to contact them. Also would be interested in a horizontal dismeter hatch glass as the one I brought in from Japan was not packed well and has many marks.

If Specialp3 is correct though then only a 260Z glass will fit his 240. And the 260 was a one-year only model in the USA.

But if there was a change in the bolting pattern for whatever reason then I suspect it was done part-way through the 260 & 280Z production years.

Toughened glass can't be altered, but maybe the mounting bracket can be?

Specialp3, have you touched base with the NZ Datsun Z Club? NZ has a variety of 240/260/280/2+2 Zeds, some sold NZ-new, but many others are used car imports from Australia, the UK, Nth America, Japan, Asia, wherever, often brought in by returning expats. It shouldn't be impossible to find a blue-tint door glass, I could be wrong but my impression when I was a club member there - many years ago now - was that clear glass was less common in club cars than blue-tint. Worth a try, or check out TradeMe.com the NZ equivalent to eBay.

The 280z door glass is a different shape at the bottom, I did try to modify the 240 window regulator but not even close to fitting.

Never thought about NZ, shall do some investigating to see if anyone can help.

I have contacted this shop in the UK (http://www.mzr-roadsports.com/en/) but no had no reply. They do build some very nice cars.

This car is for sale at the moment http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C803136

Very nice for $65K + shipping.

• Administrators

Hi Gav,

I will take some photo's this weekend and check the part number on the watermarks (photo in the first post is from the blue tint) too see if they are the same.

If you do have contacts in the States I would be very grateful for you to contact them. Also would be interested in a horizontal demister hatch glass as the one I brought in from Japan was not packed well and has many marks.

Yes I have a contact in SFO that has helped me with several parts. He has a few vertical defrost glass, the only problem is shipping and making sure they don't get broken. I am trying to get him to put together an inventory of sorts with all the panels he has etc.. Topy wheels etc..

I'm looking to do a bulk import (container) at some point. Since roof turrets, 1/4 panels, doors, bonnets are all in demand I'm sure. Not to mention original steel wheels.

If we know exactly what part no's to look for when it comes to this glass I'm sure he can find it.

By the way how bad are the marks in your existing vertical defrost glass? Sure they can't be polished out?

I have contacted this shop in the UK (http://www.mzr-roadsports.com/en/) but no had no reply. They do build some very nice cars.

This car is for sale at the moment http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C803136

Very nice for $65K + shipping.

I believe Alan (HS30-H) knows the workshop and their owners. So if you don't get a reply maybe ask him to help out?

• Administrators

They're the ones.

I am looking for NOS to match the rest of the glass, I do have a few pieces of second hand I have purchased over the years but all have defects. I have tried to have some polished professionally and the result is terrible.

Note: I highly recommend not having any glass polished, the glass becomes "distorted" and looks worse than having scratches.

I am open to any "old school" polishing solutions. I have tried toothpaste and ladies rouge make up, neither were very successful.

• Administrators

RE: Polish, good to know... I won't attempt that then!

I will ask my contact in the US to find a near mint glass if he can and let me know if he does...