29 replies to this topic

#21 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:13 AM

But for a race car why do need fuel sender????

Not being a smart arse, serious question...

The Zed never ran one. I knew roughly how much the fuel burn was and then just put that plus a bit to cover the number of laps to be done. At the end of the weekend, drain the tank of the avgas and put in the road ute or Fairlane for a bit of oomph.

Depending on dash and other electronics being used, couldn't you work out fuel level from use and then fill from there based on number of laps to be done?

And the foam bricks won't move around or break up when you shove enough in the tank, hardest part is getting the bricks to the corners away from the opening where you put them in. Not sure who got the tank from the green Zed, but it still had the foam in it when I sold it.

#22 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:46 AM

Why a fuel gauge? Why not, particularly when actually doing laps with a new car and you are not sure how much fuel is being used or the fuel is not going to be drained after. With the VG turbo bitch used to devour fuel when using a lot of boost.

#23 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:15 PM

Mines because I do endurance racing with 2 hour stints in the car.

#24 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 01:32 PM

But with "smart" dashes that measure fuel used through the injectors it should be easy enough to set an alarm when x amount of fuel is used and you know you put y amount in, just make sure that y > x or you could have problems  :)

Problem with in tank fuel senders is that they are inherently inaccurate when driven on the track due to the cornering forces involved.

I know it is dependant on using said data capable dashes/loggers ecu to do this, but the cost of them makes it easily attainable for most people no days. Especially when a brand new ECU with all the latest wizz bang tech is the same price I paid for a Haltech F9 computer 20 years ago to be one of the cool kids with injection.

#25 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:10 PM

Dip hole, with cap.
Pour in 20L, mark a bit of dowel
Lght, simple, no fuss

#26 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:37 PM

Sorry standard JZZ30 ecu and dash doesn't seem to support this....

#27 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 01:14 AM

Don't you have litres of fuel used come up in the dash like Holdens and Fords since for ever?????

#28 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:13 AM

Hi tech is not always the best, a conventional fuel gauge setup is clear and simple, clearer than any digital dash. Have not decided yet but the Z31 may have a traditional analogue dash plus a shift light, lap timer and analyser, maybe a GPS speedo and a big low oil pressure light. The beauty about designing a dash layout from scratch is that everything can be placed in it's optimal position.

Enough of that, is a sumped fuel tank with foam going to work using a EFI pump only, no surge tank or pickup pump.

EDIT Just had a brain wave. How about having the tank outlet run directly into one of those big glass bowl filters which will act as a reservoir with the EFI pump pulling fuel directly from it. Vent the filter back to the tank to get rid of any air that comes through.

Edited by 260DET, 05 October 2016 - 08:28 AM.

#29 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:03 AM

Don't you have litres of fuel used come up in the dash like Holdens and Fords since for ever? ????

I don't think so, it's a 1990 and we aren't using the factory tank anyway.

#30 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 12:27 PM

To answer your question Richard, maybe....

The Green Zed ran a standard 240 tank with an internal "swirl pot" welded around the pickup, was just a small barrier to prevent sloshing fuel and cavitation of the pump pickup. The fuel then went into a large glass truck filter and then up to the engine. Worked reasonably well, but had to run a minimum of 15 litres for a race to stop surge and cavitation.

When the motor got rebuilt up here I then went to a more traditional low pressure, high volume pump into a 2 litre surge tank and then high pressure EFI pump from surge to motor all tucked up under the floor. This worked much better as I able to use all the fuel down to the last litre without surge.

And for the dash, the new dashes are great, configure to show only what you need with warnings and auto shut downs that can be configured.

I only ran the gauges in my car due to the regs at the time, now these have changed, so configurable data logging dash for me.

If I was running analog gauges i would have the following:

Tacho

Water temp

Oil temp

Oil pressure

maybe volts, and

Big red light for oil pressure and a big yellow light for charge for if a belt is thrown.

Lap timer maybe for sprints, but as my priority is race times are less important in wheel to wheel.

GPS, probably not for old analog dash, but with the new car, as it is part of the system I will have it for data analysis for car set up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users