6 replies to this topic

#1 260Lowe

260Lowe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:16 PM

Hi All,
After a little bit of advice, I've just gotten my dash back from the Dash Doctor and am really happy with the result.
However, the gauges don't even go close to fitting back in properly.The speedo fits but falls short of the mounting screw being able to take up position, same for the tacho.The other gauges are really difficult to even get started.
Does anyone have any advice on getting them back in place with care so as not to damage the work that's been done?

Thanks in advance,

#2 reverendzed

reverendzed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Tagline:I'm Dave & Yes! I'm a real Revhead..er Reverend...

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:46 PM

Hi All,
After a little bit of advice, I've just gotten my dash back from the Dash Doctor and am really happy with the result.
However, the gauges don't even go close to fitting back in properly.The speedo fits but falls short of the mounting screw being able to take up position, same for the tacho.The other gauges are really difficult to even get started.
Does anyone have any advice on getting them back in place with care so as not to damage the work that's been done?

Thanks in advance,

You can try heating up the dash with a hairdryer applying plenty of heat in the area that the gauge needs to fit.  This should give you some 'give' to ease it in.  This is the problem with a reskin unfortunately.  I think I ended up at one point on one of my dashes not getting it all the way in and securing it with a couple of 'dobs' of sikaflex, although you need to make sure it is in far enough to connect your speedo cable!

Cheers,

Rev.

#3 KatoKid

KatoKid

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts
  • Tagline:Split loyalties between the M and the Z

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:46 PM

Ditto, had the same issues.

Bit of vaseline to ease the way and dont be afraid to use some force!

Edited by KatoKid, 10 September 2016 - 06:46 PM.

#4 Scoota G

Scoota G

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Tagline:Mark

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:07 AM

I suppose sending it back is not an option. Put them in the fridge and then try it.

http://physics.stack...ld-temperatures

#5 Scoota G

Scoota G

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Tagline:Mark

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:09 AM

You can try heating up the dash with a hairdryer applying plenty of heat in the area that the gauge needs to fit.  This should give you some 'give' to ease it in.  This is the problem with a reskin unfortunately.  I think I ended up at one point on one of my dashes not getting it all the way in and securing it with a couple of 'dobs' of sikaflex, although you need to make sure it is in far enough to connect your speedo cable!

Cheers,

Rev.

Hey Rev if you apply heat to the dash the covering will come free and go hard as a rock. It's how i remove the old dash plastic vinyl.

#6 260Lowe

260Lowe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for the info guys, some struggling and swearing ahead!!

#7 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Tagline:260z coupe in slow build, Now with RB25DE powah!!

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:44 AM

put new globes in the gauges before they go in!!!
Because you'll be super cranky if one of them blows in 6 months time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users