• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:28 PM

In the  interest in originality.

This is where I first saw this...

http://www.xenonzcar...efinishing.html

My first attempt at it.......

The hubcaps that I have done were the ones on the car when I bought it....very corroded on the inside...one had even rusted through in  few places.... 

I had them re chromed ..UGGHHH!!! not cheap and then went through the process.... 

re plate

mask

etch prime

prime

colour coat

I have another set, re chromed, that I will have done when I do the grill and taillight surrounds.

As for the colour.... My local paint shop colour matched from a set of original hubcaps and my tail light surrounds...

I only had an aerosol can mixed and sadly have lost the formula.... I also had the air cleaner and engine colour matched   ...

Still have the air cleaner colour formula

The centre caps seem to be the biggest hurdle here 

Hope this is of interest to some....

Attached Thumbnails

• aaIMG_0642 (002).JPG
  • aIMG_0644.JPG
  • bIMG_0641.JPG
  • cIMG_0658.JPG
  • dIMG_0659.JPG

• gav240z and Ponyo240z like this

#2 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:38 PM

Fantastic job! They look excellent. A few years ago a bloke showed me a NOS set, & even they weren't mint perfect as had obviously oxidized a little over the many years despite careful storage. Yours actually look better & fresher. A lot of work but you must be pretty pleased with the results & justifiably so.

I suppose I'll have to dig up the courage to do the same some day...

Edited by gilltech, 23 August 2016 - 07:44 PM.

• gav240z likes this

#3 PeterH

PeterH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:42 PM

Yeah ... a bit of a fiddle ....dear wife is away for a week..... gearbox on the dining room table tomorrow night....SHHHH!!!

• gav240z likes this

#4 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:11 PM

Bloody hell...you're a brave man...but keep up the good works.

What are you doing next, polishing your gearbox?

#5 PeterH

PeterH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:26 PM

I shouldn't joke about the dining room table....while the body shell needs my attention I'm doing other things...the gear knob resurrection....

Attached Thumbnails

• before (1).JPG
  • before (2).JPG
  • before (3).JPG
  • before (4).JPG

• gav240z likes this

#6 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:52 PM

Great work!

I tried to buy a set of NOS center badges / emblems a while back but got beaten to the punch!

Who re-chromed them and what did it cost per cap? I'd imagine about $250 each? Did you re-chrome the rusty one with holes in it or source better ones?

I am interested in the air cleaner paint code / formula if you can share it?

Did you get the gear knob billet piece from Jake?

#7 PeterH

PeterH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:20 PM

The paint code for the air cleaner....the numbers mean nothing to me.. a local paint supplier matched it to a good air cleaner using ???  I think it's a specrophotometer .

I tried to spray a sample to photograph next to an air cleaner but it's a bit too cold and damp here at the moment.

As for the hubcaps ... they all had a bit of corrosion on the inside...the worst one with the holes is the finished one in photo.... I etch primed, taped the front where the holes and filled from the back with body filler, removed the tape and finished painting. This was pretty much a trial to see how the masking went. I have another set that have been stripped and chromed in much better condition so I'll have them painted ( by some one better than I am at it) when I have the grill and tail light surrounds done. I also have a set in very good original condition which I'll keep that way....pretty sick really...three sets and Ill probably never drive the car with them on....when I had my original Z in the '70's I went out one night and lost a hubcap ...went out the next day to look for it and lost another one....the hubcaps were then about $30 each and " alloy" wheels were about $25...so that was that.

CCF24082016_00001.jpg

• gav240z likes this

#8 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:30 PM

Yeah ... a bit of a fiddle ....dear wife is away for a week..... gearbox on the dining room table tomorrow night....SHHHH!!!

We had a gearbox on our foyer for over a year. It strangely felt... strange when I moved it. Wife finally had enough :(

Great work as usual Pete!

#9 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:57 PM

We had a gearbox on our foyer for over a year. It strangely felt... strange when I moved it. Wife finally had enough :(

LOL, I've got S30Z parts in the bedroom... It's best we don't talk about that.

#10 PeterH

PeterH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:42 PM

" How long is that big box going to be in the garage ??"  until I put the dash back together......That is what really is on the dining room table....getting there..Friday night and will be back in  "the big box in the garage " hope fully complete..

and yes SHHHHH !!! the wardrobe in the spare room   ....

#11 PeterH

PeterH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:46 PM

This post may be in the wrong place by now.... after posting the paint formula that I have for the air cleaner ( I had an aerosol can mixed ) I painted a test piece to compare to an original part. It came out a bit darker. 

The original air cleaner from my car has been blasted and primed and the unit that I compared it to is one that I bought from some one else. I recall painting a test piece at the time and it was a good match for my original.

Any paint experts out there have any ideas?? the paint has been in the spray can for a few years.

If you are going to use the formula be careful 

Pete 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users