• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Hokin

Hokin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Tagline:If you can park and walk away from it a without looking back you got the wrong car

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:10 AM

Gav,

The Foresters are pretty good, haven't had any issues with them and have found them easy to work on (not sure if its due to ride height and being able to fit under). They are essentially Lego cars so parts are easily interchangeable and accessible with liberty, impreza\wrx and sti models. It never ceases to amaze me the combinations of parts people use for upgrades.

My Forester is an 07 XT model, the only bad thing and i've become used of it now is the tractor engine sounds from the boxer. Quite a difference given i've driven Z's with L series engines since i got my licence and still do.

Check out the ozfoz.com.au forum, the community is pretty good and there is an abundance of information on there (much like here).

Edited by Hokin, 19 August 2016 - 08:11 AM.

• gav240z likes this

#42 Riceburner

Riceburner

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:56 PM

We tried the Mazda 6 with the rear facing baby seats in the back today. We found it didn't have enough room in the front for either of us to be able to drive. If your short it may be ok.

#43 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:23 PM

We tried the Mazda 6 with the rear facing baby seats in the back today. We found it didn't have enough room in the front for either of us to be able to drive. If your short it may be ok.

That is a true "real world" test for a family car, but not one you ever see in any major magazine reviews.
When the kids get a little bigger it is how easily can they kick the seats in front.

Edited by PB260Z, 20 August 2016 - 07:24 PM.

#44 Riceburner

Riceburner

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:55 PM

That is a true "real world" test for a family car, but not one you ever see in any major magazine reviews.
When the kids get a little bigger it is how easily can they kick the seats in front.

Yeah spot on PB.

I guess it could be a little out of the ordinary as we have twins so you can't offset the seat behind the passenger or driver (which ever needs the room) or in the middle. We had quite a few sales people come out to look. They were very surprised to see how little room there was left in the 6 wagon with two people over 6ft and having looked at it last week I was shocked it wouldn't work. 

Just for the record we are using rear facing baby seats as these were smaller than the smallest capsule available currently.

I must say, I'm very impressed with Mazda's, The Mazda 3 hatchback has been bulletproof. We ended up going for the new CX-9. Sub 40k with a trade in, from test drive and first impressions it's great. The value for money, styling and drive quality are wonderful.

#45 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Tagline:Datsun obsessed

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:36 AM

Your next test will be fitting 3 forward facing seats across the back seat.
It is quite difficult to find a car that will fit them. I normally find the outer seats foul on the inner wheel arches as they protrude into the back seat somewhat.
Many cars don't even have 3 tether points.
Quite surprisingly we have our 3 squeezed into an '04 focus

#46 Riceburner

Riceburner

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:34 AM

Yeah Cozza those wheel arches are a bugger! It's something I wasn't bothered about until recently. Good work with the focus, surprising that they all fit.

I'd definately recommend taking seats with you to try before you buy.

#47 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:48 AM

Yeah Cozza those wheel arches are a bugger! It's something I wasn't bothered about until recently. Good work with the focus, surprising that they all fit.
I'd definately recommend taking seats with you to try before you buy.

Better still, ask the dealer to let you take the car home then you can try fitting them at your own pace.
This also gives you a chance to see how you getting prams etc in as well.
Unless the vehicle is in extreemely tight supply, a good dealership will agree to this. If they don't agree take your business elsewhere.

#48 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Tagline:Datsun obsessed

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:24 AM

I was in the used car market looking at Santa Fe's and found that dealers were very wary of letting us take the car home. Normally they would want to come for the test drive. All seemed a bit weird when we were fitting our 3 car seats and kids then had to put the sales guy in the 3rd row of the Santa Fe.

#49 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:28 AM

Good point, I was reffering to New Cars. Used cars is a very different situation and generally don't like letting the car go for more than a quick lap.

#50 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:43 AM

The Cherokee which is really a mid sized SUV has two rows of seats, there is no interference from the wheel wells because they are further back. From armrest to armrest it measures 1320mm wide.

#51 Bloozed

Bloozed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

Guys
Interesting discussion, I would have to support the Subaru choice, I had one of the first diesel Outbacks followed by a automatic one and just thought they were great. Roomy, frugal and good off road ability but great on long drives as well. Hate to say it the auto was the pick. It was very smooth and I towed the red Zed with it quite regularly, it was only after I changed jobs I saw that it was only supposed to tow at 80kph. Whoops!
They are quite good value new as well but think there should be some good ones coming through the auctions by now.
I thought they were quite different to the forester which I didn't like as much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users