Ahoysandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:58 PM

Hey guys,

I thought i'd post in here before i commit to any major work on my block.
To those who have had their L series engines rebuilt, either to factory specifications or upgraded, what final costs did you come to with the engine pieced back together complete?

I have a seized L26, complete, that i wish to have rebuilt. No goodies, no fruit, no upgrades. Just factory parts.
Stewart Wilkins motorsport gave me a real quick rough quote of $5-6k and i just wanted to confirm the pricing of what a complete rebuild should cost. I am expecting it to be a little higher due to the engine being seized.

any other suggestions for this process? places i could take it, thoughts on doing it in my own garage? i haven't done a rebuild before at all but did swap the engine once before?

Cheers, Alex.

#2 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:14 PM

Give James at MIA Engines Brookvale, a call,
You can keep it stock, go a little bit fancy, or go silly.
Depends on what you want to do with it.
Maybe a bit of a cam, some light porting, with port matching to manifold, a set of extractors!

Siezed motor is not an issue, it'll require an overbore.

#3 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Tagline:Datsun obsessed

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:02 AM

Give James at MIA Engines Brookvale, a call,
You can keep it stock, go a little bit fancy, or go silly.
Depends on what you want to do with it.
Maybe a bit of a cam, some light porting, with port matching to manifold, a set of extractors!

Siezed motor is not an issue, it'll require an overbore.

+1 for the boys at MIA
Straight shooting honest guys that are happy to build to YOUR budget.

#4 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:57 AM

I'd budget 6 to 7k.

I also suggest you purchase a new Scorcher Electronic dizzy from Performance Ignition.
I havn't seen an old points or 280ZX/MR30 electronic dizzy yet that isn't stuffed... 

#5 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:26 AM

Have around 4-5 points dizzys here, all low mileage/low wear, been in storage for some 20 years, due to Z racecars being upgraded to EI dizzys, many years ago.
Will sell !

#6 Ahoysandy

Ahoysandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:10 PM

Thanks guys for your responses.
I have decided to go with James at MIA and will be in further contact with him in the near future. 

In regards to the build itself, I was thinking of having factory internals with a set of triple Webber carbs. Is there any downfalls to this or any suggestions you guys would have to support the triples? keep in mind i do already have a set of extractors and 2.5" headers back exhaust, an Exedy HD clutch with a set of chunky Toyo R888's and am hoping to stay within the 5-6k budget. Not looking to build something quick by any means, just something with a little roar when i feel like it :) street driven.

Cheers, Alex.

#7 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:37 PM

Do you know anyone who has rebuilt an engine before?

I've done both of mine in a garage. Get a factory Datsun manual there's a lot more detail in them.

I'd say decide on your engine build specs. Tear down the engine, send the head off to MIA for porting/cam (get him to set it ready for assembly) and when completed rebuild it yourself. Money spent on the head is the best bang for buck. 

EDIT: Sounds like stock bottom end will be fine for what you need. Scorcher dizzy is a great upgrade. Spend the rest on the head, it'll transform the car.

Edited by Gareth. J., 24 July 2016 - 10:42 PM.

#8 Ahoysandy

Ahoysandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:47 PM

Do you know anyone who has rebuilt an engine before?

I've done both of mine in a garage. Get a factory Datsun manual there's a lot more detail in them.

I'd say decide on your engine build specs. Tear down the engine, send the head off to MIA for porting/cam (get him to set it ready for assembly) and when completed rebuild it yourself. Money spent on the head is the best bang for buck. 

Unfortunately I don't know of anyone who has done a rebuild in their own garage, I have however been in contact with a few who have sent theirs off the be done at a shop.

Having a workshop manual has definitely come in handy before as i have 2 Haynes that i keep around the house and garage. Not sure if these specify a complete rebuild though.

I also am slowly understanding what each component of internals varies and to what specifications means what. I do still have a lot to read and catch up on in terms of knowledge in engine components. Hence, at the moment, i think having an engine built by someone who knows what it need is best and then me having my spare L series up on the bench for me to figure out whilst i'm tearing down.

When you say money spent on the head is best bang for buck (I've read this on pretty much every engine rebuild thread on the site) what kind of work does this involve? *excuse my novice questioning lol*

#9 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:07 PM

What tools do you have? Torque wrenches, feeler gauges etc? 

Most head work will comprise of porting, chamber work, cam and valve train. On a stockish engine it'll give you a big upgrade initially, high hp is a different level. 

I'm no expert but have attempted a few engine rebuilds and a gearbox rebuild due to a low budget. With the help of some knowledgeable people, my brother and the forum it has saved me a heap. I've learned a lot in the process. 

I'd say have a go yourself, some fellow Sydneysiders might be able to help and if it all ends up being too hard send it off to be finished.

Have another chat to James and explain your choices, if you spend the money with him he may go the extra mile with you and help you out with other tips/info.

Peter Mac did this with me, he went way above and beyond what I expected. I'd suggest talking to him as well!

#10 Ahoysandy

Ahoysandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:18 PM

What tools do you have? Torque wrenches, feeler gauges etc? 

Most head work will comprise of porting, chamber work, cam and valve train. On a stockish engine it'll give you a big upgrade initially, high hp is a different level. 

I'm no expert but have attempted a few engine rebuilds and a gearbox rebuild due to a low budget. With the help of some knowledgeable people, my brother and the forum it has saved me a heap. I've learned a lot in the process. 

I'd say have a go yourself, some fellow Sydneysiders might be able to help and if it all ends up being too hard send it off to be finished.

Have another chat to James and explain your choices, if you spend the money with him he may go the extra mile with you and help you out with other tips/info.

Peter Mac did this with me, he went way above and beyond what I expected. I'd suggest talking to him as well!

I have a pretty basic tool kit as of the moment, I had enough to a previous engine transplant in the garage if that depicts the type of tools i have accessible? 

It sounds as though i would be able to strip the head then send it off the have the adjustments made and later piece it back together myself. maybe this is something i could do after the initial build and im after a little more out of it? or is it best to do this in one hit in your opinion?

The guys local to me who are Zed owners ABSOLUTELY know copious amounts more than me hahah, I mean, i've only just been doing this for almost a year and these guys have no doubt had many more on top of that!

I'll be giving James another call during the week to see where he's at and talk more about the build. Where can i find Peter Mac at?

Thanks for your advice @Gareth :)

#11 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:37 PM

I'll PM Peters details through.

• Gordo likes this

#12 Ahoysandy

Ahoysandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:11 PM

If anyone is interested, I did end up taking an engine over to james at MIA and he's currently conducting a full rebuild on it for me.
the full thread of my build is over here;
http://www.viczcar.c...atsun/?p=183874
will be posting up on here more instead :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine, rebuild, L26

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users