#21 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:56 PM

Everything is better about the RB crank apart from the cost, but as highlighted previously the difference is insignificant to the rest of the build. Neither does staying with a stock bore in my opinion. Are you planning on driving 300,000km in your stroker zed?

• CBR Jeff likes this

#22 Howdy

Howdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:58 PM

Great thread Jeff, most of all thanks for sharing the info, something I wondered about years ago but never had the two cranks sitting side by side. It's great to keep the L series - the best sounding engine EVER. Looks like a nice engine, hope it serves you well Mate.

#23 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,381 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:07 PM

LD cranks are getting hard to find and based on what one was being sold for I don't think the cost differential would have been anything by the time you had it prepared and ready for installation. With the RB crank you can grind it for a few stroke options you don't have to go to 89!

That's why I sold my LD28 - I was originally going to build a 3.1 ltr stroker for HS30 00150 - but something else came up (which will be revealed in time) and I decided to go a stock rebuild to keep the budget under control. I also decided to go with an L24 block and retain SU's.
But my car is not about horse power either, got other cars for that sort of thing.

The rarity of the LD28 is also what put me off using it, RB cranks are far more available and if anyone complains about it not being an 'original' L-series part, well there is nothing really period correct about the diesel crank anyway.

#24 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:31 PM

Is the RB crank available by itself and what's the go with the flywheel or spacer setup?

I assumed it was an LCR only build and no parts available for the DIYer? Unfortunately for me that's not an option, one day I hope so!

#25 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:22 PM

You can just get the crank and flywheel setup (it needs a custom one) but if you are buying a stroker kit worth this much, do you trust yourself to assemble the rest to a high enough level?

You already have the head which is over a third of the cost. I don't think building the bottom end was that much maybe around the 1/3 of the project cost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users