#1 Dionysus

Dionysus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

Hi Guys

I've been trying to find some info about E88 head variety and differences. The Head Thread was helpful but I can't find much info regarding the differences (if any) between a E88 260z head and the E88 efi head out of a 280zx.

It's easy to assume that the E88 head that came on the 260z would be similar to that of the 280zx but at the same time we're talking a difference of 6+ years of production so it would not surprise me to see some changes.

Thanks
John

#2 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:51 PM

That head was used on quite a number of different models,, some had injection, some didnt, the milling/machining jigs jst milled the injection notches in, with no concern as to what model body, or, what international or domestic market it was to be used.
  • gav240z likes this

#3 Dionysus

Dionysus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:27 AM

Appreciate the info dat2kman.

#4 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,621 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:09 PM

Kidney shaped chamber on E88 head can be seen here:
http://www.viczcar.c...ce-up/?p=178531

Not sure if it's the Early Skyline R30 EFI head I'll have to ask. But you can see the chamber shape is definitely different to the earlier open chamber.

#5 road rider

road rider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Tagline:Life is like a bowl of hot soup.You need to be hot to get blown

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:02 PM

Kidney shaped chamber on E88 head can be seen here:
http://www.viczcar.c...ce-up/?p=178531

Not sure if it's the Early Skyline R30 EFI head I'll have to ask. But you can see the chamber shape is definitely different to the earlier open chamber.

You're right on the money Gav.

These heads came on the MR30 Skyline and had the fuel injection slots cut into the intake ports. Not sure if it was just the early MR30's that had the closed chamber head. I was lucky enough to have parted out about 6 MR30's many moons ago and I have definitely got 2 of these heads. Can't remember the year/model of the cars they came off though.     

A true performance head with hardened valve seats to suit unleaded petrol.

Surprised that these heads haven't really been mentioned about the forums more as they are better suited to a naturally aspirated engine where decent compression is needed. I'd even go so far as to say it's better suited than even the more well known P90 head. A great head in it's own right, better suited to turbo applications, as the factory intended.   

:)  O0

• gav240z likes this

#6 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 09:58 PM

A true performance head with hardened valve seats to suit unleaded petrol.
Surprised that these heads haven't really been mentioned about the forums more as they are better suited to a naturally aspirated engine where decent compression is needed. I'd even go so far as to say it's better suited than even the more well known P90 head. A great head in it's own right, better suited to turbo applications, as the factory intended.

I think a big part of it is just the way these things work on the Internet, someone mentions the P90 is the "best flowing head" which means what exactly? And then all of a sudden that's the head everyone wants. Not really considering what they want from the car or the build. It's a shame so many R30's were junked, those E88's along with them!

#7 Mike260LW

Mike260LW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:30 PM

You're right on the money Gav.
These heads came on the MR30 Skyline and had the fuel injection slots cut into the intake ports. Not sure if it was just the early MR30's that had the closed chamber head. I was lucky enough to have parted out about 6 MR30's many moons ago and I have definitely got 2 of these heads. Can't remember the year/model of the cars they came off though.     
A true performance head with hardened valve seats to suit unleaded

:)  O0

The E88 EFI only comes on the MR30 5 door hatch model. The MR30 sedan came with the hideous N47 head with sleeve lined round exhaust ports.

#8 Dionysus

Dionysus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:42 PM

Good to hear..

I obtained a L28 EFI E88 F54 from a member on here so will soon commence a strip down and see what I've got.

#9 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:35 PM

Odd that you have that on a F54, i'd say it was fitted later!

#10 Dionysus

Dionysus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:34 PM

100% positive this engine did not get released in the 280zx?

#11 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,621 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:37 PM

Yes positive, my 72 240z has an L28 bottom end and the E88 head that was originally on the L24 block was put on the L28 block.

The later E88 heads were fitted to L24 in Nissan Skyline's (R30).

#12 Dionysus

Dionysus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:25 AM

Pulled the head off over the weekend..

Appears to be in quite good condition but I'm yet to take an measurements.

IMAG0006.jpg  IMAG0007.jpg

#13 240z71

240z71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:53 AM

Looks good from the pics, would be keen for some measurements as ive also got this head and i think mines ported but im not 100%

#14 600Z

600Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:44 AM

Hi Dionysus,

I also have the E88 closed chamber head I'm going to be using on a L28 that I'm building up, I'm thinking that it should be quite a good head and wondering if you have any feedback on how the engine went with it on there.

Justin

#15 Dionysus

Dionysus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:45 AM

Looks good from the pics, would be keen for some measurements as ive also got this head and i think mines ported but im not 100%

Sure,if there's anything specific let me know..

any feedback on how the engine went with it on there.

Justin

Hi Justin

Unfortunately don't know anymore than the fact that it was a running engine before removal.

#16 600Z

600Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:47 PM

Hi Dionysus,

No problem in time I'll find out ;)

#17 240z71

240z71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:27 PM

Just a measurement of the ports, even a photo inside the ports would be awsome.

Thanks

Edited by 240z71, 28 June 2016 - 08:28 PM.

#18 600Z

600Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:26 AM

Hi 240z71,

Mine is standard at the moment but the intake ports I guess are the ones your interested in and they are 35-36mm diameter.

From what I have been reading and obviously depends where and what you read but there are calculations to work out port size for a certain displacement but also for valve size as from what they say no point having huge ports with lower air velocity when the valve size is the restriction.

The book I have been reading says for the intake ports must not be more than 0.82 of the valve size, so with 44mm valves the ports should be 36mm and looks like Nissan knows that too as that's what they are. I know there will be people who don't agree and I guess I'm one of them to a degree but with this head I'm going to try it and follow what they are saying.

No doubt if it's a race engine running between 5-8k rpm 90% of the time it might be different and your after all out power but not so good for the street where and we have to admit even if we don't want too is where 90% of our driving is .... Bigger lol

I'm certainly no expert though have built a few Datsun four cylinders and ports a few heads, my own being a 219 SSS head which I did a lot of work too for a 2.1L bottom end and running twin 48 dellorto's with 41mm chokes along with quite a few other various things to suit. When put on the dyno the guy was first off a bit cocky after asking who built it and I said I did but soon changed and said that all the rally guys would love to be producing what it was and the only other 4 cylinder naturally aspirated he had that had more was a fiat race car and it wasn't much.

Anyway point of that was it didn't really produce anything much exciting until about 4000rpm and then it came alive, was a fun car but not a great street engine and like most at the time I thought bigger was better when it's not always the case.

I'd be keen to hear others thoughts and ideas or experiences on head work before I start on this one as there isn't too many around and I want to do it right the first time. I know the bowl area and the diameter, radius / turn in and out is the most important for flow to aid the air to flow properly as straight walls in this area kills flow.

The carbruators I have for the engine are a set of early 45mm dellorto's with 34mm chokes, probably prefer 36 or 38 chokes but is going to be a street car and my wife's though I'm sure I'll take it for the odd blatt lol

There are some very knowledgeable guys here and be great to get some feedback on what's best on these heads.

Justin.

Edited by 600Z, 29 June 2016 - 09:39 AM.

#19 240z71

240z71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:38 PM

Hey guys

Does anyone know the chamber cc size of the efi e88 head?. Would putting the efi e88 on top of a flat top piston l28 result in to much compression or would it still be within a usable range?. My l28 that had the efi e88 head on it was a dished piston motor and I was wondering if this was done to keep compression down a bit or just because a dished piston motor was cheaper to get a hold of and I should now upgrade it to flat top.

Thanks Matt

#20 CBR Jeff

CBR Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Tagline:Often lost

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:57 PM

Hey guys
Does anyone know the chamber cc size of the efi e88 head?. Would putting the efi e88 on top of a flat top piston l28 result in to much compression or would it still be within a usable range?. My l28 that had the efi e88 head on it was a dished piston motor and I was wondering if this was done to keep compression down a bit or just because a dished piston motor was cheaper to get a hold of and I should now upgrade it to flat top.
Thanks Matt

Hi Matt info is here http://www.viczcar.c...6-engine-heads/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users