Door Window Weather Strips

ilbert

Hi People, I have  a new set of weather strips - the ones that go on the stainless steel trim at the top of the door where the glass slides up and down.

The old ones are stapled on, with a metal backing strip.

Has anyone replaced these and knows how to re-staple them.

I am about to start making little wire staples and then try to flatten the backs off using a knife or similar, but this seems like a bit of a mission!

Are there places that do metal stapling? I'm in Melbourne

Cheers

You're on the right track, i did a set on mine. Once you have the right size staples you can fit it up and bend them over easy with small pointy pliers. Keep your old bits and use them for a template to drill the new bits and that way you can fit the staples without using force.

I did mine over 3 years ago still going strong.

Just on this topic, has anyone been able to find a rubber extrusion with the right profile from a supplier in Aus? And if so, where from? I had a look in Clark Rubber a while ago and didn't find anything close.

I ended up getting some complete aftermarket chrome trims and seals from O/S. As mentioned on some other forums, they don't have the right curvature on them to follow the line of the door neatly. I'll probably just try and transfer over the rubbers from these to the original trims, but it would be nice to be able to get some more rubber in case I stuff it up.

Mine are from Scott's old auto rubbers.

They LOOK fairly close, but not field tested yet.

Just fitted one, needed to slice off one Bead then sits nice and flat.

3/8 staples with 10mm legs work a treat.(drill out old holes with a 1mm bit to get all pieces to align)

• 1 year later...

I got a set from Rare Spares and although they're a little bit wider than the original ones they're settling in well.

I used a couple of different sized flat screwdrivers to slowly open up each staple and the old strip as a template. You can reuse the original staples if they're still in decent condition too. It's a fiddly process but you'll get there, takes about an hour per side.

post-106822-0-84644500-1519460491_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What are people doing to replace the inner felt "weather" strips on their doors that is attached to the top of door cards?

Mine have seen better days :  post-105219-0-38785000-1520246426_thumb.jpg  post-105219-0-01331900-1520246528_thumb.jpg

I have found a company in the UK that supplies what looks to be very good replacements however it appears they only supply in bulk lots.

http://www.automobiletrim.com/popup_ws132.html

http://www.automobiletrim.com/images/windowchannels/ws132.jpg

I will see if I can get the minimum order down to something more reasonable than the current 100 x 2 metre long strips (at a very reasonable price of AUD$6 per length! ex shipping) !!

Edit: I emailed Rare Spares and asked if they stock this and if not then they should get some in.

Edit#2 : Apparently Rare Spares do have the door inner belting :

"They are supplied as part number RDB0019, but are a non-stocked item. The last price was $30.85 each, but that may change slightly. Delivery to our shop will take anything from 4 -8 weeks from ordering, and we will require a deposit."

Edited by AndBir

• 2 weeks later...