Living Standards Across Australia

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,652 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:48 PM

Well the audience for JJJ tends to be young hipsters. So that's probably half the reason.

I'm all for doing a trade, shame my IT job pays so much better.

#22 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 24 June 2016 - 04:16 PM

So you're a hipster Gavin lol actually except for the rapcrap I like most JJJ music and one thing's for sure, moi is no hipster. 

• gav240z likes this

#23 andyk_79

andyk_79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/12055-andrews-1972-240/
  • Tagline:Useless Pest asking clueless questions

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:37 PM

Ha ha come on Gav we know you ride a fixie to go get a kombucha whilst wearing an obscure hat ironically

#24 Brabham

Brabham

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:47 PM

I agree with you Gav, I will most likely give my first preference to sustainable Australia or similar and then preference labor as they are prepared to make some changes to negative gearing, and are not handing out tax cuts to businesses when the budget is nowhere near balanced. None of the major parties possess the gumption to make the tough choices to reduce the deficit and have resorted to lies and scare mongering.

I think the issues faced in the UK are similar to here, and while the UK will face pain in the short term I am certain it will be better off in the long term when it regains sovereignty.
As Kennedy said GDP captures everything but that which is important, and higher population with higher GDP is actually lowering living standards as the good folk in the UK have realized.
The problem with GDP is it does not capture the negative externalities of population growth ie, higher house prices, smaller lot sizes, congestion, lower quality of life. In fact, it may measure the sales of more cars and fuel as a positive, yet the value of time lost in commuting and traffic is not captured. I would argue these costs far outweigh a few percentage points of GDP, and are significant if you assign a value to this time lost.
One of people's key motivation is also intergenerational equity, and it is clear to me that the next generation will have a lower standard of living due to unaffordable housing, denser living, congestion etc. I can't see any leaders here at the moment with the fortitude to tackle these problems. I think other countries will leave the EU too as they are being conned.

Edited by Brabham, 24 June 2016 - 07:04 PM.

#25 Brabham

Brabham

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:24 PM

PS an intake of 70,000 people a year is still far too high, we should be aiming at negative population growth in order to see the benefits flow through to people in the major cities. Japan's population is declining and while their growth is stagnant, I suspect living standards in real terms have improved as people have been able to afford to move back into Tokyo rather than commute. Imagine how much better off you would feel if you could now afford a 40 Sq meter apartment in Tokyo rather than 20 square meters. Japan is smart, negative interest rates are a bad idea though.

#26 HomeBuiltByJeff

HomeBuiltByJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:01 AM

We are moving towards a new style of world. Where a lot of people these days, are more mobile, so they want an apartment or a town house, over the old 1/4 acre block so they can come and go as they please, without worrying about the lawn being overgrown, etc. Kids aren't paying outside as much as they used to, just spending more and more time in front of screens (not saying that is a good thing). 

I grew up in Adelaide, and my family is still there. It is a very liveable city, and I could possibly see myself living there again (fantastic driving roads!).

I think we are heading into a time where people don't need to live in a city anymore, they can work from anywhere as long you have a good internet connection.

For me, after living in Sydney for almost 20 years, I moved to the NSW Southern Highlands, and I will never move back. I have the benefit of not having to live in the city, so I don't. I live on over half an acre, I don't have to deal with traffic, and I can walk to cafe's and restaurants, etc.

Unfortunately the world is changing, and it is nice to reminisce about how things were, I think, like it or not, the only real option is to adapt with it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users