Wtb 260Z Project

GodZilla

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum well even more so new to the club and for a while now I've been looking for a 260z 2+2 or a 260z coupe. I'm interested in any unfinished projects, any condition is fine even if it is furtherly incomplete that's not a problem at all, I don't really have much to spend so I can't go anything over $2000. if your interested in selling pls call me on 0423821921 or give me a text and I'll reply back. 

Thanks mate she looks perfect and all but the problem is that I'm in Queensland, and the cost of fuel to get there and back is a lot when the zed already exceeds the amount I can spend.But anyway thanks for your help gav240z it's greatly appreciated. 

• Administrators

No problem, but finding any S30Z now for around $2000 is going to be very difficult or very very rusty. Good luck.

Thanks, but just curious about if a rolling shell would fit the bill ? It's just that I thought to myself about it before and I was wondering if that a rolling shell would be a better bet for my price range?

• Administrators

Well a rusty rolling shell might be an option, but then you'll spend a lot more money in the long run sourcing all the missing bits + motor. Also buying a rusty shell means you'll have expensive rust repairs to deal with. Not sure what your skill set is or abilities to do that sort of thing yourself? But it generally works out much more expensive in the long run starting with the cheaper stuff.

• Administrators

No problem I gave similar advice already here:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/1924-cars-for-sale-3rd-party-sites-ebay-carsales-etc/?p=177619

for the same car.

The white car above for $23,000 in comparison would work out much cheaper in the long run..

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/1924-cars-for-sale-3rd-party-sites-ebay-carsales-etc/?p=177607

Just the way things are, of course everyone's circumstances are different and therefore you may want a project car to chip away at over the next few years and not be prepared to sink $20k into a car right away.

Good afternoon GodZllia.

Good luck with your quest. If I can indulge in some advice? As Gav has said or indicated, don't underestimate the amount you will need to spend to complete a project.

Even if you have endless free time the cost of consumables to complete a project when added up can be quite staggering. 

A rolling shell could be a good option as long as all the parts are with the shell!!. If its missing parts remember some are hard to get.

I would suggest having a look through (if you have not already) some of the build threads, do some quick maths and see what you come up with.

And remember if there is rust in a car then you can bet the sills will have some as well.

Jeff

Hi GodZilla, fully concur with the sound advice profered by gav240z and CBR Jeff. I'm currently restomoding a 260z coupe which was a shell with "complete" car in boxes...apparently. It was a reasonable shell but new floors, dogleg, battery recess, and front rail patch and the dollars rapidly mount up. All zed bits are getting hard to get and yes there are repro bits in the states, but they are limited and big bits cost a bomb to ship. You are better of talking to your friendly bank manager and getting a loan for $20k and buying a car someone spent $40k on a few years. Then you get to enjoy it straight away and still have a life! But I was given the same advice and ignored it too! Good luck with your hunt. If I can be of any help....Mike

Well I'm sorry to tell you that 2K will go next to nowhere in this day & age. I mean, what can you buy for that? Even if you find a stripped shell it will be pretty far gone - very rusty and/or crashed - or it wouldn't have been stripped of it's parts. Certainly not a 2-seater either.

So you have to fix the shell, only a limited number of 'patch' panels are available, so much fabrication is often required. Then you have to find all the missing parts, & the correct ones for the year of car, there were numerous running changes made across the years. Some parts are very hard to find new or used even in the USA. And look you'd need 2K just for the most basic materials for a paint job.

FWIW a set of the interior rear plastic trim panels for a 240Z have just sold on eBay for somewhere north of 400 bucks, they were used parts not new.

Take the experienced advice proffered above & buy a good complete running car with as little rust as possible, to start with.

Back in 2010 i bought my empty shell 240z for what i thought was a bargain at $2000. I have since spent over $35k and put in well over a thousand hours (5 years part time) of labour on it without outsourcing any of the work. The challenge is finding all the missing parts and figuring how it all goes back together. Most of the parts are year specific and dont interchange either, which you will find out the hard way.

Also things like sandpaper, welding gas,masking tape,grinding discs etc all add up aswell. Spend a little more and get something more complete.

I recently bought another 240z for 12k, rough condition but complete at least and is what i would recommend for you to look for..but dont look for too long as prices are rising fast!

Edited by Retro Z

Thanks everyone for your kind advice I'm glad to have heard it here now from people how have experienced the difficult process of restoring an early Z from the bare bones than to have learnt it a harder way in the long run, I sort of figured it when reading the comments and I realized I kinda got good ahead of myself due to the worry of the rarity, as well as the rising prices on the market that's sort after zeds and regarding before my eagerness for a 260z got in the way, I guess when your in your late teens you sort of tend to do that more often usual and forget that there's a lot more to it. but I'll quit babbling on, thanks again guys for the advice and wishing me luck which I know I'm definitely going to need cause none the less I'm going to continue searching my Fairlady has to be out there some were.