Rear Demister

Huw

Hi all,

Well, to plug the hole in my 71 zed console i have mamaged to get my hands on a US demister switch. . . . Now all I need is the actual demister elements!

Does anyone have experience woth the stick on kits or otherwise?

It would be great to actually have a demister set up on rear hatch as it is one of my pet hates in my zed.

Huw

• Administrators

I would love to know if anyone is able to reproduce the early style rear vertical defrost lines on a non-defogger glass. If you find anyone who can do this please let me know?

I can import the early style glass from the US, problem is shipping and chances of damage + changes of the defrost working are slim...

I can import the early style glass from the US, problem is shipping and chances of damage + changes of the defrost working are slim...

Adam (Brown Hornet) imported one and it arrived safe and functional.

• Administrators

Adam (Brown Hornet) imported one and it arrived safe and functional.

I have a contact in the US who wants non-defrost glass in return (has a couple of Fairlady Z's), but I imagine the shipping costs alone are going to be expensive. Plus risk of damage was a concern for me.

Is Adam where you sourced your defrost glass from George?

• Administrators

http://www.frostfighter.com/index.htmI have looked at these defrosters, the kits come in many different sizes and could be customised to match the original defroster. They also do repair kits.

Thanks I had a look but wasn't able to see any photos of their kit installed to see if it would look like the stock set up.

I have a contact in the US who wants non-defrost glass in return (has a couple of Fairlady Z's), but I imagine the shipping costs alone are going to be expensive. Plus risk of damage was a concern for me.

Is Adam where you sourced your defrost glass from George?

Yes. I missed out on it initially but whoever was buying it pulled out. Nice piece of glass and I'm a sucker for that vertical demister look.

• Administrators

Can't argue with that, I love it also. Along with the 432-R 'ribbed' rear wing on the hatch it's 1 of my favorite early car features.

• Administrators

Thanks looks promising.

@George if you get a chance can you measure up the size and number of grid lines on the OEM glass?

Any detailed photos would also be good. So I can see if I can recreate it.

Shot off an email to the Frostfighter business in the US.  

It appears that they may be able to help with either horizontal or vertical demisters.

Does anyone have the measurements of the window on hand?  (I am based in Japan with my car in Australia...thus it is hard to check).

The detail they have asked for is  the Height and width of the outside area on the glass and of the area you would like the defroster.

Huw 

• Administrators

Excellent, time to bomb George's inbox with requests for measurements! :). Since he has an OEM glass to take measurements from.

Excellent, time to bomb George's inbox with requests for measurements! :). Since he has an OEM glass to take measurements from.

I'll get on it ASAP. Just had a wisdom tooth extracted a couple of hours ago so feeling a bit rough at the moment.

What's  the time where you are George ??? tooth hurty ?? sorry.

Is this info any good for a start

Top of glass is straight, sides are parallel , the corner radius varies ( not sure if the glass is genuine or after market ) bottom right R45 bottom left R38 top both sides R20.

Should be able to read the sizes from the photo. The outside vertical dimensions are measured at 65mm form outer edges. all dimensions are in millimeters.

can't help with measurement inside the rubber at the moment. 

post-101020-0-94876300-1463639446_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...