14 replies to this topic

#1 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:23 PM

Looking to buy a battery charger with maintenance mode for both car and bike batteries. Just had a look at Jaycar and they have one for $90. Is there anything else you guys recommend or are they all about the same in this price bracket?

http://www.jaycar.co...rated)/p/MB3604

#2 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:31 PM

Hi George

I use Projecta brand 900ma units for my bikes.
Never had a problem.

http://www.superchea...Recommendations
  • George likes this

#3 GongZ

GongZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Tagline:Watanabe wannabe

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:29 PM

I have two CTEK chargers, which is one of the leading brands, and available at Batteries Direct. They have a shop at Peakhurst.

http://www.batteries...gqybRoCQFXw_wcB

• George likes this

#4 aussie240z

aussie240z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:08 AM

I also have one of the ctek units. not the cheapest but certainly works well. I fitted a surface mount waterproof cig plug and ran the lines to the battery. In the garage, the ctek then plugs into that connector and all good. when i want to get the car out, just unplug and cobver with the waterproof boot. since the zed only gets out every few months currently, has proven very good.

• George likes this

#5 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Tagline:Datsun obsessed

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:13 AM

I also have one of the ctek units. not the cheapest but certainly works well. I fitted a surface mount waterproof cig plug and ran the lines to the battery. In the garage, the ctek then plugs into that connector and all good. when i want to get the car out, just unplug and cobver with the waterproof boot. since the zed only gets out every few months currently, has proven very good.

Sounds like a good setup.
Cig plug? Is that a cigarette lighter plug socket or a special waterproof type connection?
Pics?

Cheers

#6 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:51 AM

I have two CTEK chargers, which is one of the leading brands, and available at Batteries Direct. They have a shop at Peakhurst.

http://www.batteries...gqybRoCQFXw_wcB

Thanks Ian. I had read about the Ctek being the bees knees. Good to know they have a distributor close by to me as well.

Having a look at the Jaycar one today. It appeals to me because it has 3 different charging modes whereas with the Ctek you'd need to buy separate chargers for bike (0.8A) and car (3.8A).

#7 GongZ

GongZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Tagline:Watanabe wannabe

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:18 AM

Thanks Ian. I had read about the Ctek being the bees knees. Good to know they have a distributor close by to me as well.

Having a look at the Jaycar one today. It appeals to me because it has 3 different charging modes whereas with the Ctek you'd need to buy separate chargers for bike (0.8A) and car (3.8A).

My CTEK chargers have bike and car modes too. They are an older version of the CTEK MXS 3.8 model.

Batteries Direct has the MXS 3.8 on special at the moment for $103.54 (regular price $165.66).

CTEK MXS 3.8.JPG    CTEK MXS 3.8 panel.JPG

http://www.batteries...tek-mxs3.8.html

The CTEK chargers also come with two types of leads as shown below. One has alligator clips to connect to the battery posts, and the other has ring terminals which can be left connected to your car to allow a simple plug in set-up like the other Ian (aussie240z) mentioned above.

CTEK connectors.JPG

Edited by GongZ, 28 April 2016 - 09:50 AM.

• George likes this

#8 Dionysus

Dionysus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:03 AM

Ride more  ;D

I just disconnect the battery if I know I won't be riding for over a week.

#9 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:40 AM

Ride more  ;D

I just disconnect the battery if I know I won't be riding for over a week.

Haha. Fair point!

I ride every day but one of the bikes is a weekender and sometimes that turns out to be a month...er? Battery drains very quickly. It is an older bike so not the best of electrical systems. Mind you, it has a kick start but after dropping it trying to kick it I've given up... :(

I'm not lazy but disconnecting it is a bit of a pain and again, being an older bike, stuff wears out that way.

#10 Dionysus

Dionysus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:14 PM

Ahh yes, kick starting on a cold morning is fun..

Isn't the battery just under the seat with and remove a clamp with a screw driver?? Same effort to disconnect a charger and pack it away..

#11 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:09 PM

Isn't the battery just under the seat with and remove a clamp with a screw driver?? Same effort to disconnect a charger and pack it away..

Yes but the chargers come with extra leads that you can clamp on to the battery and leave on the bike. See Ian's photo attachment.

Plan is to route the cable connector under the seat or have it secured so that it pokes out somewhere for easy access.

#12 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:12 PM

Yes but the chargers come with extra leads that you can clamp on to the battery and leave on the bike. See Ian's photo attachment.

Plan is to route the cable connector under the seat or have it secured so that it pokes out somewhere for easy access.

That is exactly what I have done. The socket is neatly attached to handlebars, by having it on the handlebars it is a visible reminder to unplug it before riding off.

#13 Enzo

Enzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:19 PM

Hi George,

I use both Projecta and Ctek.

My Projecta will also charge Calcium batteries.

The Ctek will also charge gel batteries which I have in the offroad buggy.

David

#14 Dionysus

Dionysus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:21 PM

I totally missed that pic, I have a elcheapo charger from aldi that I hook up to the skyline every few weeks.

Could you get a inline fuse switch from jaycar that you could mount in the negative line along the frame? Flick a switch to disconnect the battery?

#15 aussie240z

aussie240z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:06 PM

I set up mine with a waterproof /marine plug and went into the lift panel near the battery as more concerned with easy access than other. have spare lids regardless if needed to bring back to 'standard" (which my zed isn't anywhere near), so works well, easy to connect/disconnect when back in the garage and waterproof for use when out on the beaten track. I will try and grab some pix and post next week. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users