8 replies to this topic

#1 aj_

aj_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:29 PM

My recently acquired 260 (early '74) doesn't have the standard air cleaner installed. I did get one though, included with a small bunch of parts that came with the car. However, I don't believe the one I have is the perfect fit for the early '74 260 (I've seen some air cleaners with 2 x "pipe things", but mine has 3).

I've attached some pictures - the aqua colour one is mine, with 3 x "pipe things" / the orange one is a comparison picture, with 2 x "pipe things" / plus, for context, 2 pictures of the engine, as it is now.

Questions!

1. Is mine missing the air pump, or was it a non-standard bit of kit at that stage?
  2. Should I put one on?
  3. Can I use the aqua one?
  4. And, if I do put one on (and can use the aqua one), are they all meant to be orange anyway (so, paint the aqua one)?

Cheers,

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5519.JPG
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 3.21.19 pm.png
  • IMG_5521.JPG
  • IMG_5522.JPG

#2 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,384 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:10 PM

Questions!

1. Is mine missing the air pump, or was it a non-standard bit of kit at that stage?
  2. Should I put one on?
  3. Can I use the aqua one?
  4. And, if I do put one on (and can use the aqua one), are they all meant to be orange anyway (so, paint the aqua one)?

Cheers,

Andrew

1. I believe that by 1974 our cars had air pumps fitted. North American market cars had air pumps on 240z's. Where as we didn't get emissions until 1974 (I'd have to double-check to be 100% sure on exact date we got this stuff).

2. The stock airbox generally performs better than the aftermarket ones that soak up heat from the exhaust like the ones in your picture. I personally would fit it.

3. The aqua 1 looks like the correct style of airbox for a 260z, but I'm not sure without cross checking that they work for all years 260z or if there was a difference between say North American air boxes for 260z's and our market. The orange cleaner shown is a North American delivered 240z style airbox. You can tell because it has the funnel / flapper at the front for cold air setting. Our market never got the flapper. (Ven did you get zee clapper?)

4. I believe they came in both colours, personal preference but most 260z's I've seen had the light blue / aqua colour. Personally I like the contrast of the 'orange' box though. It's sexy.

• aj_ likes this

#3 aj_

aj_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:06 PM

Brilliant, thanks Gav. Re Mr Powers, I could watch this for days - https://youtu.be/iLKR9tCiwvA?t=17s
  • gav240z likes this

#4 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:18 PM

The aqua one is correct for a 260, note it has square ports to match the square ports on your 260's flat-top carbs.

On my NZ '74 260 the original airbox is orange; but I've seen both colours on 260s in NZ & here. Whether the colour signifies something in particular I don't know.

And I've seen some variations in the 260 airbox 'plumbing' & cover across different cars, tweaks for different markets I guess.

Anyway, you can fit the aqua one in the first picture for your flat-tops, but if you eventually run ex-240 round-tops you will need the orange style one with the round ports as in your second picture.

The upper 'pipes' connect to the carbs, the lower pipe to the rocker cover vent IIRC? (Mine's packed away, haven't seen it in a while).

The backing plate bolts to the carb flanges with 6 bolts, the lower 2 being a special type with a threaded female head to receive the wing nut bolts that hold the cover on, if that makes sense. Hopefully you have all those.

FWIW, I have ex-240 round-tops & airbox on my 260, & the airbox has the same manual flapper, so must have been a colder-climate spec fitment.

Edited by gilltech, 13 April 2016 - 11:05 PM.

#5 aj_

aj_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 02:27 PM

^^ Thanks so much, all good. I'm not sure about the bolts (if I have them, especially the special ones) - I guess that's all part of the fun though.

• smugley likes this

#6 richard260

richard260

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 08:49 PM

Yes you got run the aqua one as it has squre ports for those flat tops su,s 

• aj_ likes this

#7 Mr Camouflage

Mr Camouflage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Tagline:www.wazcars.com

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:52 PM

I wouldn't have thought any Australian bound S30 would have had an Air/Smog Pump.

#8 Mike260LW

Mike260LW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:45 AM

All three '74 260Z I have had run an orange air box with square port ram tubes. I have one which is surplus to needs if you are interested.

#9 aj_

aj_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:45 AM

All three '74 260Z I have had run an orange air box with square port ram tubes. I have one which is surplus to needs if you are interested.

All good, thanks Mike. I have an aqua one that came with the car - still pondering if I should install or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users