R180 Diff Options

Gareth u beat me to it :(

Anyway i found a site explaining the difference of vicious, helical and torsen.

http://www.trak-life.com/basic-introduction-helical-torsen-viscous-mechanical-limited-slip-differentials-lsd/

Sorry locklock, I thought you were going for the Subaru diff? You'll need the billet output shafts for those diffs. I read dat2kman's post as being for standard output shafts.

I haven't bought them yet, I only asked for a price. If you need them they're all yours :)

If it's a 4.11 and 2.0L car it will be an R160 and not from an STi. To my knowledge Subaru didn't use 4.11 R180s. The type of LSD center you want depends on what you are using the car for. All three will work and be better than an open diff especially on the street, but I would probably rate Mechanical, Torsen, SureTrak with mechanical being the best if you are going to the race track. Torsens only come in 3.5 ratio and are found in the GDG hatchback shape, but i think that is a bad ratio for any zed. 3.9 ratio Suretracks are the easiest to find and came in all GDB - GDC models excluding the STi Spec-C models which came with 3.9 ratio mechanical diffs.

If you want an R180 LSD this is the easiest way to do it.

I thought you had a SureTrak?

For the record Suretraks have smooth carriers and mechanical are cast from memory.

Nah both Torsens, I've just been searching my phone for pics of my centres but don't seem to have any. From memory they are cast but can't be sure.

I'll try to remember to get a couple pics next time I do a swap over.

• 4 months later...