Replacing Headlights 240Z

Hey guys as stated I was chatting with my mate today about changing the bulbs in the headlights on the 240 as they are not very good at night and seem to need replacing. 

He mentioned that they are not bulbs, they are... sealed beams?? (excuse me if i've butchered the name here) and would need to replacing as there are no bulbs. 

Now I am not sure if I need to get H-4 head lamps or what it is I specifically need/ what is best? (not interested in HID stuff) Just nice and bright and effective. 

Have been poking around here for the answers..

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/classic10d03

Any advice to put me in the right directing would be great. 
Thanks guys! 

VNE 

You are correct about the "sealed beam" description. And you are also correct that the common upgrade is to replace them with units that take H4 bulbs.

Make sure that you don't buy headlights intended for a left hand drive car, as they will not have the correct beam 'cut off' pattern and will be illegal here.

You should also be aware that the factory wiring puts all of the headlight power through the headlight switch which can cause failure of the switch/wiring and also contributes to the dimness of the headlights.

The best solution for you would be to install H4 units and modify the wiring to use relays for the headlights. You can either do this by wiring it up yourself;

http://www.zhome.com/DaveRelay/DaveBuild/DaveInstruction.htm

or by buying a 'plug and play' kit like this one; 

http://datsun-240z-upgrades.net/product-info/

PS - If you have the original sealed beams (Koito brand I think) they are sought after by strict concours restorers, so you might not want to bin them.

Edited by GongZ

• Moderators

Hi

The standard lights on both 240 & 260's are Sealed Beam units, but that is only part of the cause of dim lights. The other problem is voltage supply.

To fix these you need:

- A pair of H4 headlamps and bulbs - Something like these or try your local auto shop

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/10373-new-oem-h4-headlights/?hl=headlights

- Add in a double relay for the lights.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/14602-best-method-to-fit-nlr-132-twin-fused-relay/?hl=relay

Cheers

PB

Edited by PB260Z

• Moderators

You can get H4 High/Low bulbs in some rather high wattages,

Not fully sure if some are legal,,,,

Absolutely, I went with 55/100 in my car.

Was tempted to go 90/130 but felt I would attract less attention if I stayed with 55W low beams ;)

FWIW the Narva website suggests that only 55/60 are ADR compliant.

http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/h4

• Moderators

55/100w once the relays are added is the way to go.

90w low beam is way too bright.

I had 55/100 on a Bluebird years ago and the high beam was like turning on the sun.

Agree, I have done 55/100 H4's and NLR-132 relay conversion a few times and have always been very happy with results.

Alright. So ended up purchasing new aftermarket H4 globes and headlamps today.

Was tricky doing it with the wheel on (like 3 hours tricky) and needed to go somewhere in it so put it back together without 2 screws (the left inside top and bottom) as I just couldn't get them to line up! I will give it another crack tomorrow, taking the driver side out again and hopefully putting it back together then doing the left (hopefully in less than 6 hours ahaha) 

I had a bloody hard time trying to put the metal plate around the light back into the unit itself. I imagine the whole job would be so much easier with the wheel off!

Here are some pics. On the job/ the new and one and the light difference at night. 

post-104718-0-25088600-1459676601_thumb.jpg

post-104718-0-57433200-1459676630_thumb.jpg

post-104718-0-65936600-1459676667_thumb.jpg

post-104718-0-84080800-1459676696_thumb.jpg

post-104718-0-44188900-1459676741_thumb.jpg

post-104718-0-99328500-1459676771_thumb.jpg

post-104718-0-97964200-1459676800_thumb.jpg

Edited by VintageNissanEnthusiast

• Moderators

Makes a difference doesn't it ? - even more when you fit a relay to deliver the required amperage to the bulb.

I had a bloody hard time trying to put the metal plate around the light back into the unit itself. I imagine the whole job would be so much easier with the wheel off!

Assuming you had the wheel off the ground and turned to full lock ?

It is easier if you unplug the three pin connector on the inner guard and remove the entire assy from the car.

Cheers

PB

Edited by PB260Z

So I managed to do both today. Ended up just taking the wheels off as it was considerably easier just to spend a 5 more minutes on it. 

Now I have put on the new lights but there is a bit of an issue. The lamps I purchased were universal ones (178mm) and they did not totally fill the metal bracket that surrounds them (seemed a couple of mm off) so I put in some slight bits to help fill it out so it doesn't move, now only problem is I think they look a little...off. Not sitting quite right in the terms of the style of light is a bit...shit.

There seems to be a white line around the lamp that is visible (probably due to its size) I was told that they were generic and they would suit great but...they do not at all. The are some brand called autopal. 

Does anyone know the actually measurement of the original lamps? Have attached some images of lamps that are now in. Any recommendations for better lamps that can incorporate the semi sealed beam design with the globes? 

post-104718-0-49258300-1459751716_thumb.jpg

post-104718-0-34884200-1459751844_thumb.jpg

I can't quite see well enough in your photos - but do you have the headlight rings in front of the headlight 'glass' or behind? The rings should be in front, holding the headlight unit in place.

You can see this reasonably well in the photo below ('borrowed' from Matt Drago's website (http://240z.drago.com.au/?attachment_id=139).

IMG_3578.jpg

As far as I know all conventional round headlights are usually 5 and three-quarter inches (146mm) or 7 inches (178mm) diameter, so your 'Autopals' should be the correct size.
Edited by GongZ

Yeah the metal rings are indeed in front. It must either be the rings them selves or the style of these top of the range "Autopals" that make them look off, and not fit perfectly. 

Note* apologies for the pictures, seem to change angle on upload. 

post-104718-0-18853400-1459755817_thumb.jpg

post-104718-0-84945000-1459755859_thumb.jpg

Edited by VintageNissanEnthusiast

OK - I can see that it all looks correct now, and they look fine to me.

I am not sure what you meant when you said "I put in some slight bits to help fill it out so it doesn't move".

As previously mentioned - did you find that you had 'Koito' sealed beams?

Are you thinking of doing the relay upgrade to further enhance your headlights and save your precious switches and wiring?

Slight bits were just some double sided foam tape cut slightly between the outside of the lamp and the metal, as when I put it back together it was a bit loose on both sides. 

Originally it had sealed beams either side, one IKI and one Lucas (no idea why they were different). 

Didn't know I needed too! I was told when I purchased the globes and the headlamps that I wouldn't need to upgrade any of the relays etc, just swap the lamp over for a semi sealed and get a globe....

...Didn't know I needed too! I was told when I purchased the globes and the headlamps that I wouldn't need to upgrade any of the relays etc, just swap the lamp over for a semi sealed and get a globe....

It is not compulsory - but if you have time - look at what Peter (PB260Z) and  I said in replies #2 and #3 and the pages linked to in those responses.