aj_

Hi - 74 260Z Coupe - Sydney

After a few months searching, I've just picked up the attached.

It's currently in Vic but will be transported to Sydney next week. Drives really well, but it will make a stop at the mechanics first for a day of rego prep (nothing major).

I'll be using as a semi-daily driver and look forward to coming along to a club day soon.

Other than the side mirrors and retro wheels, it's super original - complete with the original AM radio (in glorious mono).

And, to be disappointingly dull, I don't plan on changing much either - other than refurbing the dash (cracked on the top, but the front is perfect) and a few v small internal cosmetic fixes. Well, I say that now ...

Cheers,

Andrew

post-104930-0-90022300-1458619501_thumb.jpeg

post-104930-0-84186800-1458619576_thumb.jpeg

post-104930-0-28643900-1458619823_thumb.jpeg

It looks nice and honest from the photos, good hunting. I quite like the wheels and stance as it is, although they wouldn't be my first choice they have a certain charm about them.

It looks nice and honest from the photos, good hunting. I quite like the wheels and stance as it is, although they wouldn't be my first choice they have a certain charm about them.

Delorean vibe.

Looks like a great car

Edited by Dionysus

Delorean vibe.

Looks like a great car

Exactly what the seller said (the Delorean thing). I wasn't mad on them from the pictures, but they did (to me) look way, way better in the flesh. Kinda felt 'right' and, as Gav said, a nice stance too. I'm happy.

The whole package looks very nice! The wheels may be a bit fiddly to clean perhaps but I think they suit the car given it's silver paint scheme, with a nice amount of dish to them. And may well be unique on a Zed.

Your demister lamp blue lens is missing. The wiring & lamp itself may still be there, perhaps laying underneath the console?

Did the Aussie 260Zs not get the hazard warning switch? It would be centre bottom row.

Your demister lamp blue lens is missing. The wiring & lamp itself may still be there, perhaps laying underneath the console?Did the Aussie 260Zs not get the hazard warning switch? It would be centre bottom row.

Ahh, good tip. I'll hunt 'in car' before I try & buy the part. The console has a crack around the choke lever, so will be replaced pretty quickly too (so, I'll be poking around under there anyway).

Your demister lamp blue lens is missing. The wiring & lamp itself may still be there, perhaps laying underneath the console?Did the Aussie 260Zs not get the hazard warning switch? It would be centre bottom row.

My 77 2+2 has the hazad switch.

FWIW both switches in mine are rotated180 degrees so that the switch part is nearer the gearshift.

post-102365-0-23949400-1459848188_thumb.jpeg

As is mine, the symbol being further away. But they can be installed either way around, wiring length permitting.

On much the same topic, does anyone reproduce those blanking plates?

I'm missing the upper centre small one, there's a redundant aftermarket warning lamp in mine, bit annoying.

Edit: I came across advice on this forum that on the Aus-new cars the hazard switch was an option.

Edited by gilltech

My 75 260z 2+2 didn't have a hazard switch either.. So it is possible only later Australian cars had them fitted as standard.

Congrats Andrew, great zed! Last time I saw an early 2 seater 260 I noticed a few differences to my late 76 2 seater. No hazards, no passing light/flasher on indicator stalk. Instruments font on the early 260 same as 240z whereas late had different font. The later 260 also had changes to suspension, lower / beefier chassis rail, door strikers, lock knob position as well. Personally I much prefer the early 260....you can almost pretend you are driving a 240 ;D

If anybody would like to add hazard lights to their 260Z, the procedure described in this topic should work the same as it does for a 240Z;

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/6506-240z-hazard-switch/page-2

The best bet might be to look on US eBay for a 280Z switch (not particularly cheap but a valuable addition). All you need is the switch and an extra flasher unit. 

*edit - I just had another look at the topic mentioned above and saw that peter t successfully added hazard lights to his 75 260Z.

Edited by GongZ

The later 260 also had changes to suspension, lower / beefier chassis rail, door strikers, lock knob position as well. Personally I much prefer the early 260....you can almost pretend you are driving a 240 ;D

Hi

So does an early 260 weigh the same, or thereabouts, as a 240 ?

Yes an early 260z ( '74) weighs the same as a later 240z which is the attraction of running one of them as a Group Sc race car. Same minimum weight but you can run the bigger capacity engine. Running a 280Z in Sc has a 100kg plus weight penalty. Unfortunately that short production run of the early 260 coupe has draw backs such as its really difficult to find door cards which are unique to the model.

How low was the production number?

I had 3x 1974 260z 2 seaters and they seem more common than later years

How low was the production number?

I had 3x 1974 260z 2 seaters and they seem more common than later years

Generally speaking this is true, the later 76/77 model 2 seaters were imported in very low numbers. The 2+2s out sold them something like 10:1. If I recall correctly.