Challenge Bathurst 2016

24 Dat

• Administrators

Someone from Sydney might want to start a thread and organise a place to meet up and travel out together, 

Entry if Free and you will be able to drive the the top of the mountain to watch all the action. 

Camping is available in the main camping area behind the pits, the sites are not powered, please see the Challenge Bathurst website for all the info on booking.

So is anyone else from Sydney thinking of driving out to go see this? I am dropping my RX-7 down at a local mechanic for pink slip / rego renewal on Thursday morning. So not sure if I'll be able to bring it down yet.

I don't think I can make the Saturday, but would love to see some S30Z's going around Bathurst.

Hope you camp blokes, err campers, have lots of fun but don't discredit us other more respectable Datsun punters :) Bugger roughing it, we are staying in a motel, toilet, shower, fridge, microwave, boiling water, who would want all that  :P

HARDEN UP. My Eski is full, camp site set up. Bring on the racing

post-103469-0-93298900-1480070586_thumb.jpg

Next year Mofo's!  >:D

Do it if you can !

Best motorsport experience I've had. The Qld Z club guys are OK to hang with as well.....

Flag marshalling on Thursday and Friday wasn't bad either - standing about 2 metres off the side of the track at the bottom of conrod straight with Chad Mostert / Mark Skaife and others screaming past in BMW M6 GT3 cars

Edited by 1600dave

Hi all, 

Some great photos and video, and please keep posting, 

Awesome week, great catching up with so many z fanatics 8) ,  and a few from this forum whom i haven't meet before, like ScottyD (i know you had a good time and you can sort the starter motor quickly)

24Dat having a go around Murrays Corner on the last run!

I'm total stoked with my 2:38.882 on one of the laps on the last runs, i have the video but i need to teach myself how to seamlessly join the 2 clips together, before i put it up on YouTube, got back late last night, still trying to comes to terms with just what happened, over the past week so many great times.  

If you want in for next year please P.M me as the EOI list has already been started  8)

First of all congrats to those who mastered The Mountain, it certainly takes doing laps to another level and requires a special type of commitment to do well. What an experience, to those who missed it this time make sure you don't in 2017.

Me and my car basically failed. Due to a number of significant problems I just could not push myself hard enough, no engine braking with the auto, front end lift at high speed, severe drivers side window shake. The 'jump' at Mountain Straight was the worst, an attempt to keep to the left resulted in the car veering off to get two wheels on the dirt before I could get it back under control. Conrod Straight was not so bad but I had to back off as the plastic window threatened to shake itself loose but at least I was not lifting through The Kink which was fun. Lack of engine braking made the wriggly bit prior to Conrod very difficult and slowed me there. And so on.

Top speed on Conrod? Will have to review all the incar footage but on Saturday the GPS read 245kph which was pushing it safety wise, see above. So the lesson for everyone is if you build something different make sure it is tested at high speed before trying Bathurst. Funnily enough the minumalist rear aero was fine, just a bobtail S30 type spoiler with a Gurney flap added. 

EDIT: Rather than do another 'boring to most' post, I'll mention that we are already looking at an auto transmission engine braking option which has only become available recently. Also looking at locking fourth (top) gear for greater high speed transmission efficiency. I'll say it again, Bathurst reveals everything about you and your car.

Edited by 260DET