Got My Old 240Z Back

Hi all, just introducing myself.

So my dad owned a 240z since new and 20 years ago he gave it to me...maybe I'm just being silly but a part of his soul has always been in that car...he has always loved it and so have I. So I drove it for 10 years and after moving to Canberra, 10 years ago, I had to upgrade it for a new car due to work and other reasons. Gladly I kept it!

Now 10 years down the track she is still in ok condition and still runs!

Long story short, I now 'think' I have the money to restore it and perhaps modernise it a bit...still original engine and chassis, but newer tri carbs, new sports exhaust, modern suspension, modern brakes etc

Question is, what sort of money am I looking at for a restore and rebuild? 30-40k?

Also, I would be prepared to take it anywhere to get the right guy on the job...I need an obsessive compulsive perfectionist that doesn't have the 'that'll be good enough I reckon' attitude. Can anyone recommend someone that will take it all the way for me? I have neither the time, skill, or garage space to undertake it myself.

Wags

• Administrators

Welcome Wags,

What is the body work like? It sounds like you want to do some mechanical work to it but usually the majority of money and effort will need to go into the bodywork.

Also photos are a must! What year is she?

• Moderators

Welcome Wags

Great that you managed to keep the car, not many one owner Z's around.

$30K - $40K is solid budget number, is it enough ? obviously that depends on what is needed. How is the rust situation.

I agree, Ledge has a solid reputation and a look on his Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/CustomAndClassicCars/?fref=ts or his website http://www.customandclassiccars.com.au/ will show his work.

Another great source of restoration work is Lurch have a look at his Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Classic-Auto-Fabrications-588753937823811/?fref=ts  Lurch did my car.

One last thing - would be great to see photo's, maybe even start a build thread ?

Cheers

PB

Edited by PB260Z

• Administrators

Hey guys thanks for the quick replies. I will try to reply in no particular order.

No photos atm, the car is at my parents place in the NSW country. I will be sure to post some photos as soon as I get her back to Canberra.

So her condition:

I had it totally bare metal resprayed 15 years ago. All the rust and issues were ironed out then. I'm sure some rust has crept in since then but overall she looks pretty good. From 10m away she would look restored.

Recent work:

I have had new floor pans put in due to a fair bit of underbody rust.

The engine has been regularly serviced but I still want the rebuild.

The dash has been repaired and is now crack free. (Console in the centre has cracks near the ash tray)

Had it recarpeted and the trim on the doors spruced up.

New wheels and tires (strictly not low profile...very much in tune with the period)

She's a 71 I think (it's not something I looked at when I was young and enjoying it.

I am thinking an entire strip down bolt for bolt, respray, engine rebuild and improve, gearbox and diff refresh/rebuild, modern carbs, pipes, radiator, easy starting device? (It was a nightmare to start her in Canberra winters), new seats and other interior components refreshed or replaced, new suspension, new brakes...basically I want her to feel and look like she did when my dad drove her off the lot but with a modern twist. That's why I have budgeted about 35k.

• Administrators

She's a 71 I think (it's not something I looked at when I was young and enjoying it.

Would be interested in knowing what chassis number, I'm keeping count here:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/13773-early-girl-bingo-with-photos/

As you can see not much left now. So would be good to account for another!

• 2 weeks later...