Your 'favourite' Used Car Ad Cliche

260DET

'Barn find', and what exactly constitutes a barn, is wide open to a very broad interpretation, just like other catchwords in car ads like 'mint' and 'original condition'.

I suspect all too often it means a vehicle that was only recently recovered to shelter in or under some kind of structure, just for ad photography purposes, after several decades of outside storage.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

Not a used car cliche, but I was asking about a car part. Guy said to me I'm looking for offers, but I'm an enthusiast so I'm not really in it for the money.

So I make an offer which I think is reasonable considering it's missing some bits and is usually sold in pairs but was a single item.

Says no thanks...

Just tell me what you want for it... And don't give me the I'm an enthusiast line FFS....

I hate it when people won't list a price.

I hate it when people won't list a price.

It peeves me to. I had a similar situation.

I placed a wanted add up for some parts. Someone said they had the parts. I ask for some photos and a price. I get the photos, but no price.  Parts looked ok so I ask "How much do you want for them?"

Answer from seller "Make me a 'genuine' offer". WTF. How is any offer of money I make for something not genuine? What they really meant was I think these items are worth something so I want a bit of money for them, but I won't tell you what I want in case you offer more than what I was thinking.

End result if the seller knows how much money they want, but won't tell me how much it is, then I'm not go to bother making an offer.

A bit like cars for sale at 'POA'. I feel with these the seller knows it will seem over priced sot they want to give me a sales pitch first to try an justify it before disclosing the price.

Edited by GregTas

• Administrators

Yes exactly, they are hoping you'll make an offer above what they want. They don't want to list a price in case you're willing to pay more than that.

But in my case the idiot tells me he's an enthusiast not in it for the money. You can't not be in it for the money but knock back a genuine offer...*sigh* I'll let him offer it to the market and wait and see if nobody buys it.

Not that I’m supporting it but, I do think the part market for our model cars moves so quickly, most people are probably unsure of market value so wait for the market to set the price rather than set it themselves and either look like a swindler or lose money if they underprice them.