Introduction 1973 Fairlazy Z

Hi everyone.

I've been the proud owner of a 1969 Fairlady/2000  and recently acquired a 1972 Fairlady Z. It comes with the original running gear (L20A and 4 speed) and appears to be in good nick. Pretty nasty paint job though. Both cars are JDM cars that have found their way over here in the past. I have limited pics of the Z yet although the interior has cleaned up nicely. Will be embarking on a restoration project on the Z, starting with the body which is pretty decent.

post-104912-0-16850200-1454513538_thumb.jpg

post-104912-0-68696300-1454513687_thumb.jpg

Edited by MichaelT

• Administrators

Nice cars, your Fairlady Z has the same wheels as my early 240z, and I've seen them on a lot of S30z's here. I kind of loathed them at first, but have started to actually like them a little.

Do you know if your Fairlady Z is a Z-S or Z-L? Does it have a Rally Clock and foot rest in passenger foot well?

Thanks gav240z, 

I hope for the Z to eventually turn out like the 2000. I agree RE the wheels. i saw them and thought...well they'll go. But at the same time I have already started to like them. I'll let time sort that one out. RE the car - no footrest or rally clock :(.

I'm looking forward to getting stuck into them.

Theremm -  yes I'm sure we'll meet up soon. I've also heard a lot about your car and look forward to seeing it. Just gotta get the RWC on the Z.

• 1 month later...

Hello Michael,

it looks like you have two very nice Nissans/Datsuns there.

Why do you believe that the Fairlady Z is a 1972 model?

I know there is some confusion about build numbers versus dates etc., but if it is HS30-103679, then I would have thought it was a 1973 model.

My 9/73 compliance-plated 240z has a very close serial number of HS30-103724 - only 45 higher than yours.

Hi GongZ.

I have also myself noticed the discrepancy. My car is a JDM. It was stamped 1972 on the plate and has been recorded as 72 for the last 23 years with Qld Transport. I have the papers at home. Seems the previous owner pursued this and there is a letter from Nissan saying this model number, according to their records, places the car in 1972-1973. I'm presuming that the lag between manufacture and local distribution in Japan and export to Australia has muddied the waters with chassis numbers. What are your thoughts. Interesting how cars with very close numbers went to different markets with different engine/gearbox setup and badging.

If the zeds are in any way built as organised as the Fairlady Sports, then anything is possible.

My plan is to rebuild the Z over time. I'm currently enjoying driving it.

Thank you and thank you. At the moment the sports in very stock form embarasses the Zed. Such a great motor the u20. But I have respectful plans for the Zed. Might take a while tho.

The L series motor is up there as far as great engines go, but the U series(U20) is something else again. 

Talk about bullet proof!

Hi GongZ.

I have also myself noticed the discrepancy. My car is a JDM. It was stamped 1972 on the plate and has been recorded as 72 for the last 23 years with Qld Transport. I have the papers at home. Seems the previous owner pursued this and there is a letter from Nissan saying this model number, according to their records, places the car in 1972-1973. I'm presuming that the lag between manufacture and local distribution in Japan and export to Australia has muddied the waters with chassis numbers. What are your thoughts. Interesting how cars with very close numbers went to different markets with different engine/gearbox setup and badging.

If the chassis number is indeed 'HS30-103679' as quoted, then the car is actually a 'Fairlady 240Z' or 'Fairlady 240Z-L' rather than a 'Fairlady Z' or 'Fairlady Z-L', and came from the factory with an L24 engine rather than an L20A.

The chassis number certainly puts it right at the end of 1973 production, too. In fact the chassis number is higher than the range of chassis numbers with the 'HS30' prefix recorded by the licensing authorities in Japan, which makes me wonder whether it really was originally built as a Japanese market model. Are you 100% sure of that? 

'S30-103679' (no 'H' prefix) would also have been built (late) in 1973.

• Administrators

MichaelT if you post a photo of the engine bay ID plate we could confirm pretty quickly if it's a Fairlady Z or AU delivered car.

• Administrators

If the chassis number is indeed 'HS30-103679' as quoted, then the car is actually a 'Fairlady 240Z' or 'Fairlady 240Z-L' rather than a 'Fairlady Z' or 'Fairlady Z-L', and came from the factory with an L24 engine rather than an L20A.

The chassis number certainly puts it right at the end of 1973 production, too. In fact the chassis number is higher than the range of chassis numbers with the 'HS30' prefix recorded by the licensing authorities in Japan, which makes me wonder whether it really was originally built as a Japanese market model. Are you 100% sure of that? 

'S30-103679' (no 'H' prefix) would also have been built (late) in 1973.

Alan did any home market cars receive a 4 speed box? Seems odd it got a 4 speed I thought that was only North American delivered cars (HLS30's). I was under the impression the home market all had 5 speeds (the non-auto cars that is).

It's possible the gearbox is from something else.

Will post a pic but it's worn down. Everything is badged Fairlady Z and all the writing is in Japanese. Im not au fait with all the grilles yet but it's got the same grille as the Jap auction ones. Diamond chicken wire style. Has and L20 and 4 speed. I sometimes forget I'm not in the sports and go for 5th..

Will post a pic but it's worn down. Everything is badged Fairlady Z and all the writing is in Japanese. Im not au fait with all the grilles yet but it's got the same grille as the Jap auction ones. Diamond chicken wire style. Has and L20 and 4 speed. I sometimes forget I'm not in the sports and go for 5th..

If that's the original engine and transmission then I'd say the car is almost certainly a no-frills 'S30-S' 'Fairlady Z' model, and the chassis number is actually 'S30-103679' rather than 'HS30-103679'.

'S30-103679' is a late 1973 production chassis number.

Alan did any home market cars receive a 4 speed box? Seems odd it got a 4 speed I thought that was only North American delivered cars (HLS30's). I was under the impression the home market all had 5 speeds (the non-auto cars that is).

It's possible the gearbox is from something else.

The cheapest, no-frills, S30-S 'Standard' (factory parlance: "Z-Std") got the 4-speed as standard equipment (either 'A' type or 'B' type, depending on production date). It also came with bare steel wheels (no hubcaps), plain chrome bumpers without the rubber trim, no clock, no radio, no passenger footrest, rubber mats instead of carpets, no HRW and - depending on date of production - a few other cost-saving measures.

Judging on what I've read of this car so far, I'd say it does indeed look to be a 'Standard' model. It would have had the 'F4W71-B' transmission and a 3.7:1 ratio R180 diff as stock equipment.

• Administrators

The cheapest, no-frills, S30-S 'Standard' (factory parlance: "Z-Std") got the 4-speed as standard equipment (either 'A' type or 'B' type, depending on production date). It also came with bare steel wheels (no hubcaps), plain chrome bumpers without the rubber trim, no clock, no radio, no passenger footrest, rubber mats instead of carpets, no HRW and - depending on date of production - a few other cost-saving measures.

Judging on what I've read of this car so far, I'd say it does indeed look to be a 'Standard' model. It would have had the 'F4W71-B' transmission and a 3.7:1 ratio R180 diff as stock equipment.

I'll bet it was originally white or silver too!

Yes it was originally silver! It's had 2 repaints - metallic blue and then red. But the interior under carpets etc is all silver. I'll put up some images. Some just to show the interior (which I think cleaned up well). I have an original steering wheel coming. Got a replacement lens for the map light installed now, some of these pics were from when I got the car.

There is Japanese writing all through the car. The speedo is in KPH. Not sure if all 240z in Aus had kph but the Sports were in MPH. I have a JDM Fairlady Sports. Under the wheel arches up the front is evidence of mirrors being installed. Someone has put in a small plate during a repaint. Is this normal? I'm making an assumption that mirrors were there. Also the interior panels have Japanese symbols on them (I make out Hiragana/Katakana, but my Kanji is non-existant) but I have no idea what they mean.

Otherwise the engine number is: L20586004, E30 head.

If you look at the ID plate on an angle you can make out a lot of print. Up top it has s30 and a kanji text beside it. See pic below. Its also got 1989cc engine capacity. The bottom box under the chassis number stamp has a 4 in it. Cannot make out another letter and I think there is Kanji along the bottom.

It has funky separable seat belts, and I'd appreciate any input on whether the interior stuff was common in Aus as well. Seatbelt tag also in Japanese. There is a random chassis shot, I was hunting for rust under the car. I've found almost none but having read a lot of build threads I know it is in there waiting!!!

Now to figure out how to put images up.

So the image compression kind of made some of them small. Harder to see what I mean on the engine plate (which I removed for ease of photography). 

post-104912-0-43168300-1458215272_thumb.jpg

And with the Japanese script down the left side of the seatbelt tag.

Edited by MichaelT

• Administrators

Yeah so definitely not an HS30, just an S30Z and based on the lack of options I'd say Alan is on the money regarding spec. I've never seen an ID plate that faded.

Not the clearest image (sorry) but this is roughly what your engine bay tag would originally have looked like:

p9orMa.jpg

Note that Japanese tags don't show the individual engine block number.

You can buy an accurate replica tag from REVIVE JALOPY in Japan. They will stamp it up with the correct numbers for you too.