dat2kman

260Z /280 Z. 2 Seater - Race, Tarmac, Rally Or Road

I suspect but don't know for sure that the type of brake pad used can affect rotor temps. Would it be legal to have a two piece setup using the same overall dimensions?

Richard,

the eligibility guys are very hard on any changes to brakes. I had mine checked at Winton as did all the Zs. One had cross drilled rotors and was told to get them off. Only the standard rotor and caliper are allowed. I've tried several brake pads and found little difference except initial bite. All the pads are destroyed at the end of the weekend, especially the outer pad nearest the wheel. The inner pad has some ventilation from a duct. The outer pad is almost impossible to duct.

Sounds like some are worried about the performance of the top Zed/driver combos if they have the eligibility people getting that keen, bit of a back handed compliment there.

Air extractor type (modded) wheels? Project Mu pads? I've had good results with Carbotech pads, they certainly do stop. Cryogenic treated rotors?

Steve, have you tried some of the Hawk pads, up around the HT70 compounds???

I used them in my 2B car on the front with 4 spot dynalites and vented TP Magna rotors. Different rules I know, but the pads may last the round as I used to get half a season out of them on the Sydney tracks.

They were harsh on rotors though, a rotor would last two sets of pads comfortably, and could squeeze a third set of pads depending on where the races were as the rotors would get very hourglass in profile and start to get a lot of fine cracking in the surface and obvious hot spots.

It maybe an option to throw a set of the Hawks on with a fresh set of rotors and see how they go for a weekend.

Dead easy to download the Hawk catalog from the website to peruse the different compounds and also better to purchase from www.hawkpadsdirect.com The price for two sets delivered will be about the same as one set from local suppliers even with the crappy exchange rate at the moment.

The tech guys are very helpful also, if you want a contact I could dig up the email address of the guy i dealt with when trying to sort out what pads to use in my old bus for you.

pads / brake fluid all OK. the combo he is using doesn't fade though it gets bled a couple of times a weekend

warping discs is the main problem. you can lean on the brakes all weekend and they wont let up, but its at least a set of discs per weekend, sometimes 2. 

the whole setup runs red hot though, ive got a burn on my arm from the race a couple of months ago from accidentally touching the caliper for a split second.  

Thanks Brett for the replies. The pads of different types all lasted the weekends, although initial bite is a worry. I'll try more rear as suggested. Next race is Muscle Car Masters with Brett as the main driver and the old man the co-driver in the 1 hour race. The barkes will be a worry but we should get through the 1 hour at EC with a new set of discs and pads - ahhhhh!!!