dat2kman

260Z /280 Z. 2 Seater - Race, Tarmac, Rally Or Road

Good to see the car go to a good set of hands and be driven as Jason intended. Will have to come and say hi at the next HSRCA meet. Would allowing vented discs of original diameter overcome the warping/cracking issue? However I am aware this is probably unlikely to happen. Good work.

It needs to be kept in perspective, it is Regularity not racing and the Mustang (and the blue one and the E type) had nominated slower times than me but on the Saturday they didn't grid us according to our nominated times and as such I had to start behind them. The Mustang is the genuine Shelby article and worth quite a bit more than my old Z that I drive to and from the track!

The Mustang looks like a nice car don't get me wrong. But after watching a few of those videos, granted the Mustang is much heavier than the Z and it is not going to corner as fast, but the driver is constantly missing the Apex, and not driving the line. All I'm saying is that I think that maybe if you swapped cars with him, I think the Mustang would lead the pack by a long way.

Its OK Jason,

the colour is going to be thee same to keep the history going. The paint is to fix the PI Porsche gravel rash and the extra dents collected at Eastern Creek. The photo graphically displays the the brake size and looks frightening. Luckily I did not have time to repaint before EC. I'm getting ready for Winton early next month - despite the brakes and will try to avoid the blue Porsche. Brett's running the car at Mustle Car with the old man as the co-driver so we should see him embarrass the old man by at least 2 seconds.

When I ran it at Winton Long in 2012, I didnt realse I was 0.3 second off the lap record for the big Dato's in Gp S!

If i'd have known,,,,

You'll romp it in!

The Group S mob originally had all the Z's in same category,

I was told due to the Group S original model run on rules they had!

Thats how I managed to hold, for quite a few years the lap records at the 3 Qld tracks !

That rule recently got changed, now they consider the later Z as a direct comparison to the mre technologically advanced Porker.

They also rewrote the Sb category rules to put things that have up to 2000 cc into a 1800-2400 cc, thus moving four cylinder Dato 2000's into higher class.

Of course, the pukka Group British boys now have their very capacity class to snigger and giggle about, in the up to 1800cc!

Not only moved the 2000's into the higher class, but also brought the MGB's down into the previous 1300-1600 class that I am (very slowly) building a 1600-engined fairlady to compete.

Far out, those panel gaps on a race car! You aren't going to want to be anywhere near those 911s!

Far out, those panel gaps on a race car! You aren't going to want to be anywhere near those 911s!

it had a very well built tagged cage, by Norm Singleton, and Bruce Richards when he restored the bdy, did a very thourogh job, having had restored, for Historic racing, another Z ( the yellw ex Kev Gray x Russel Stanforth car) a 1966 Mustang,( now wned by the Qld manager for Shannons insurance) and a cute Appendix J Mini.

We only play with the good stuff!

Looks great, yes far too good to race.....

I like your choice of colour, whose blue is that, Nissan or other?

When i bought it from Bruce Richards he had it in Holden Astra Prestige Blue.

In touch ups here and there, using that make/model colour code, it wasn't quite right? Dunno, fading, age?

In the flesh, it's a nice deeper Blue.

She looks damn good now!

Like the new wheels, very period correct. Also like the extra blue paint, handy to brand those wandering 911's  ^-^

Winton Historics on, this eekend!

Gues which car is king of the Zeds!!

Bingo!

Five Zeds running, four in the Group S races, and a 5th Group S car running in Regularity, as driver is not yet licensed up.

No other class or category can you race a Z in, in Australia, and be mixing it up nice and close, than in Group S!

Winton was hard on brakes - warped another set of discs - looks like Winton and Wakefield are going to be a two set of discs weekend; the Pantera knew when to block and I chased him all weekend. Race one went astray when I just missed the flag marshal's post at the flip flop and almost bogged the car in the infield,  the rest of the races were spent chasing the Pantera.

No dents (although a 105 Alfa had a couple of tries as did a flyweight MG till he ran off and got bogged) only a few bits of gravel rash on the lower panel from rubbish on track. Video of the 15 lap race to follow for those interested. The ex Pottsy 260 Z was behind and had a good turn of speed in the straights.