#1 EJ101

EJ101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Tagline:When I had my Z

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:54 PM

sorry but I've never officially introduced myself to the forum.............better late than never!

Excuse my unimaginative username

I'm in western Sydney and currently do not have a Z, but hopefully will............one day.

My first car was a 1973 LJ Torana GTR nicely done as an XU-1 copy complete with XU-1 spec engine, M21 gearbox and LSD and genuine original Globe sprintmasters from the period.

My love affair with Datsun started with my 1980 Bluebird wagon. It was gutless, rusted worse than a 240Z, but was bulletproof reliable. I modified it a bit and it handled unreal. Got broken into 4 times but the bastards never stole it. The two are pictured below.

TORRIE-1.JPG

my first Z was a 1979 280ZX 2 seater which I have shown in detail elsewhere on the forum. Pretty much everything was modified. Fantastic reliable and fun fuel guzzling daily driver for 8 years.

_20151023_204335.JPG

Current car is a 2002 Renault Clio Sport which I've owned since new. Only mods are Bilstein B14 coilovers and aftermarket exhaust. Great car.

So to some up. Every car I've ever owned has been modified. Did I mention I owned a twin cam AE86 Sprinter?

• oldmates260z likes this

#2 CroS13

CroS13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Tagline:throbbing member

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:14 PM

welcome to the forums mate. Nice Torry you had there, I bet like most you wish you hadn't sold it!

I had the opportunity to get a LX 4 door as my first car. My Dads golf buddy had one, owned it since new, and it was as clean as the day it left the showroom. He only wanted $1500 for it then (this is going back maybe 12-14 years ago. I passed on it as i wanted something "cooler" and ended up getting a Silvia for my first car.... wish i chose the Torry!

So what type of Z are you looking for?

Rudi

#3 EJ101

EJ101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:37 AM

yeah the Torry was great looking car. Always loved the sound of the XU-1 engine with triples and lumpy cam. Still do. Probably why I've always been into 6 cylinders over V8's. But, the 240Z is just light years ahead of the Torana apart from rust!

I don't really wish I still had it. It would be nice. If I could have predicted the value of cars I once owned or cars I said no to, just as you did with the LX, I would have kept everything. A mate of mine would be a millionaire because he's had about 25 cars over the years mainly XW to XC Falcons usually 351, Toploader, 9 inch. When he thinks of all the ones he bought, stripped all the good bits and then junked entire bodies.........he weeps!!

Obviously I'd like a 240Z, but I wouldn't say no to a 280ZX 2 seater.

#4 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:19 PM

A mate of mine would be a millionaire because he's had about 25 cars over the years mainly XW to XC Falcons usually 351, Toploader, 9 inch. When he thinks of all the ones he bought, stripped all the good bits and then junked entire bodies.........he weeps!!

Yeah, but in the early 80's they were everywhere, sort of like late 90's V8's today - they are cheap so fall into the hands of enthusiastic youth and all to often they end getting written off. In time the wheel turns and the tidy ones will appreciate. This is being seen in VB - VH Commodores now.

Edited by PB260Z, 26 January 2016 - 12:20 PM.

#5 EJ101

EJ101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:39 PM

Yeah, but in the early 80's they were everywhere, sort of like late 90's V8's today - they are cheap so fall into the hands of enthusiastic youth and all to often they end getting written off. In time the wheel turns and the tidy ones will appreciate. This is being seen in VB - VH Commodores now.

yep exactly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users