5 replies to this topic

#1 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:47 PM

Just thought I should share my recent discovery, the shifter bushing in my gearbox (FS5W71B aka 260Z gearbox) was cracked and worn out. Instead of going to Nissan to get a new plastic bush I bought a GKTECH brass bush to suit a Silvia. The brass bush will apparently give a better feel in the gearbox and also last longer than another plastic bush, now I just need to machine some new inserts for the roll pin bushes!

A quick comparison of plastic vs brass shift bushes is below (borrowed from Google):
IMG_7072.jpg

Cheers

#2 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:35 PM

You can get the brass shifter pin bushes on EBay.

Let us know how it goes, I might upgrade mine.

#3 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:43 PM

Well for $30 a set it's probably cheaper to make a few sets out of brass round bar, but eBay is addictive. We'll see how they go when they rock up :P

#4 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:15 PM

We'll see how they go when they rock up :P

Please let us know, mine aren't the best and a longer lasting solution is appealing.

Cheers

PB

Edited by PB260Z, 05 January 2016 - 09:16 PM.

#5 scott

scott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:03 PM

i got a set in mine and also run the shifter spring kit as well. r32 box adapted to L series housing btw

#6 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:40 PM

Update

I took delivery of the brass shifter pin bushes a couple of weeks ago. They are much thicker than the original plastic items. They are advertised as being tighter tolerances than stock but there is literally zero tolerance. As a result the shifter no longer fit inside of the clevis without me turning down the thickness of the face of the bushes by about .4mm on each bush... Even then it was still an extremely tight fit and effort required to change gear is much higher. I bought the ones listed below:

http://www.ebay.com....=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

While the shift feel is nice I think it's significantly less hassle (and probably cheaper considering how long they last) to stick with the original style plastic bushes. In saying that everything feels great and now I've spent the time making everything fit I assume they will never have to be changed again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users