165 replies to this topic

#41 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:40 PM

My old car, the one in my avatar was 907 green, the gold wheels looked pretty good against the green, though it did have some white to break up the green  ^-^  ^-^

#42 jeff43

jeff43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Tagline:Go really fast, if something gets in your way turn!

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. They are all nice cars in there own right. However since I have had this car (10yrs) I have always had one colour in mind. I have swayed from this colour occasionally but I always come back to it.

Here are some examples.

3298002024_771668d52e_o.jpg

DSC06644.JPG

I have always liked this car - love your work Mossy, just possibly some of my greatest inspiration.

053.jpg

I like this car and have been tempted to go with this colour.

Nostalgic-2-Days-14-082-800x533.jpg

Decisions, decisions.

#43 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,633 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:16 PM

I love 918 Kalahari Tan, so you can't go wrong there.

In terms of blue I like the factory blue as seen on Kats car. (So glad we didn't get the door buzzers here).

#44 Riceburner

Riceburner

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:23 PM

It's your car Jeff so go with what you want.

For my 2c worth I'm with Gav, my vote is for the original 907 green, with black wheels only though, it'll make the factory chrome and stainless really pop!

#45 jeff43

jeff43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:25 PM

Yeah I like the blues as well. Another car I really like is this car that was featured on petrolicious. I am not 100% sure of the colour code for this one though.

240z-7.jpg

#46 jeff43

jeff43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:35 PM

It's your car Jeff so go with what you want.

For my 2c worth I'm with Gav, my vote is for the original 907 green, with black wheels only though, it'll make the factory chrome and stainless really pop!

Hi Gareth. You are absolutely right - it's my car and I can paint it any colour I like. There are a lot of factors involved in the colour decision though I suppose. For instance as the value of these cars is increasing I find the effort of my build is increasing as well. I never meant to invest this much time and effort into this car, like most of us I wanted to get it driving as soon as possible. I wanted to hillclimb it and track it and the big clause was to not invest to much money in it. Well my mindset has changed some what as the values have increased. I find myself thinking about future value of the car and how the choices I make throughout the build will affect that. Not that I am looking to sell the car anytime soon, I just find that I cannot ignore the future financial side of things now that these cars are starting to be worth considerable money.

As for wheels. I already have a set of 16x8 zero offset wantanabe wheels - alloy spoke with polished lip (thanks to Mossy).

Edited by jeff43, 29 January 2016 - 08:39 PM.

• gav240z likes this

#47 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:49 PM

Tough decision to make but it seems like you've already made it... 10 years ago. ;)

#48 jeff43

jeff43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:34 PM

Tough decision to make but it seems like you've already made it... 10 years ago. ;)

Yep, absolutely right George, bring on 918 orange. I can't see why 918 orange would make the car worth less in the future than 907 green.

#49 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,633 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:55 PM

I'm sorry that asking about the original colour has caused all this fuss. I just assumed it was originally blue from all the photos I saw until I saw the interior colour. It's good to know what colour it was originally for the record as it helps us determine what other cars around the same build number should/could have been originally. It's all part of the puzzle. :)

I think sticking to the original colour palette is a safe option. I can also totally relate to the increasing value of these cars swaying your decision. Remember I originally wanted to build a rat rod out of HS30 00150 but that's of course somewhat changed now. My 72 240z was going to get flares and big wheels etc.. Now it's slowly going more and more original.

I'm sure whatever you decide in the end will be great.

#50 jeff43

jeff43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:02 AM

No fuss at all Gav. I was just thinking out loud. I have an ability to change my mind about things like colour multiple times a day. Having said that I have always known deep down I would paint it orange just now I lean more towards 918 orange for originality.

It is always interesting to hear other people's opinions.

Cheers Jeff

#51 Zedstar

Zedstar

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:31 AM

All my welds are done with a gasless mig you have just got to know how to use it. Dont get me wrong a mig welder with gas is great and comes out mint. Get some mild steel sheet and practice if I get a chance this weekend I will see if I can make a small video on welding with gasless.

I love 918 Kalahari Tan, so you can't go wrong there. In terms of blue I like the factory blue as seen on Kats car. (So glad we didn't get the door buzzers here).https://www.youtube....h?v=eP9c1PAW_00

image.jpeg

Or Tony's !

#52 mossy

mossy

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:44 AM

918 is a top choice Jeff, even though I went with porsche signal orange,  918 was my first choice and in looking back I wish I did go with that colour.

#53 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,281 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:29 PM

Hi Jeff

Just paint it the colour YOU want.

For me I always wanted a 305 Blue Bus with Black interior and gold Simmons wheels, and no one was going to change my mind (this time ;) )

Cheers

PB

#54 jeff43

jeff43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:01 PM

918 is a top choice Jeff, even though I went with porsche signal orange,  918 was my first choice and in looking back I wish I did go with that colour.

Very interesting to know that Mossy. I have wanted to copy you with the Porsche signal orange for a while, I had only recently decided it should be 918 orange to keep with the originality theme. I was even looking at FG Falcon "octane orange which looks pretty similar to the other 2 oranges. Your comments just make it easier to stick with 918 orange.

Hi Jeff

Just paint it the colour YOU want.

For me I always wanted a 305 Blue Bus with Black interior and gold Simmons wheels, and no one was going to change my mind (this time ;) )

Cheers

PB

Hi PB. Have no fear I will paint it whatever colour I like, the only problem is I like quite a few colours. For me 918 orange is a nice safe choice that I know I wont regret. I do differ from you though as I have never wanted a bus, always preferred the 2 seater shape. Each to their own, Love is in the eye of the beholder.

#55 jeff43

jeff43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

Been a bit slow on the car of late as I have been doing some painting on a friends motorcycle parts to get some gun practice in preparation for painting the Zed.

4.jpg

I got a free afternoon on the weekend and spent the time filling in the hole where the radio antenna goes. There was also 6 drill holes in the LH rear QTR that I needed to fill in. They are in a straight line but I have no idea why they would have been there. Anyway they are welded up now.

14Feb16a.JPG

14feb16c.JPG

#56 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,633 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:19 PM

No idea what those other holes were for, definitely not standard. Good work on filling them though.

#57 taylor

taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:05 PM

It had a vinyl roof ! 

#58 jeff43

jeff43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for that, you are a genius Taylor. I had never seen one with a vinyl roof before but google was my friend and you are absolutely right.

download.jpg

Looks like there was a couple of styles as well

downloada.jpg

#59 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,633 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:45 PM

So horrible, I once looked at a wine red 260z 2+2 with a black vinyl roof. About 16-17 years go now. The car was ok but the reason we didn't buy it was because of the vinyl roof :). I wonder which dealer was responsible for it.

#60 jeff43

jeff43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:59 PM

There was a discussion about vinyl roof's here 

http://www.viczcar.c...-the-vinyl-roof

Not my cup of tea that's for sure and even with all this talk of originality there is no way a vinyl roof is going back on the car. As for rust underneath the vinyl, my car is exceptionally rust free in the area where the vinyl roof was fitted. Maybe a previous owner did the only logical thing and had it removed early in the cars life.

Edited by jeff43, 15 February 2016 - 03:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users