• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#21 jeff43

jeff43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Tagline:Go really fast, if something gets in your way turn!

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:41 AM

wow really looks great! because it was all updated in a few posts, you get tricked into thinking this was all done in a short amount of time, how long did all that take to repair?

And i have major problems with getting dust particles and what not in my finish when i use KBS rust seal. Ive been using it for all my rust repairs Ive been doing, Ive used a proper paint gun style strainer when pouring the paint into a clear jar, brand new paint brushes every time i paint ( 1.50 from bunnings) and yet i still get raised areas and dust particles and particulates settling in my paint as it cures. drives me mad!

Rudi.

Hi Rudi,

It is hard to put a number of hours on the repair. I have been at this car for 4 years now. In the earlier years I was slowed down by these 2 ratbags

DSCF1526.JPG

DSCF1527.JPG

In the last year or so I have been able to get a lot more done as the girls are getting a lot more self sufficient.

The pics make the KBS finish look better than it really is, overall I am happy with the results. I have had more trouble with air bubbles (might look like dust) in the finish, I have found if the paint is a little to thick or you apply it too thick you will get air bubbles that cannot escape. I have had better results when I have used a little bit of the thinners to thin it a little more and it only takes a dash of thinners. I also have found a better brush (3-4 dollars) gives a better finish and I clean them up with some prep wash thinners and reuse as well.

Cheers Jeff 

#22 Brabham

Brabham

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:25 PM

Awesome work Jeff, good to hear the old shell is being saved as well. Keep at it. What other damage did the other early shell have?

Cheers

#23 Retro Z

Retro Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  • Tagline:73' 240z and 72’ 240z

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:14 PM

I used to brush KBS rust seal and also had the same problem with the bubbles and dust.

I now spray it with my HVLP gun with a dash of the KBS thinners and no more problems. I painted my whole engine bay with it and it looks like glass, ill try post a pic of it tonight.

#24 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • Tagline:John.O.

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:17 PM

Jeff

Sensational work, great to see the level of prep and execution in this build ;-)

Cheers

John

#25 jeff43

jeff43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:13 PM

I used to brush KBS rust seal and also had the same problem with the bubbles and dust.

I now spray it with my HVLP gun with a dash of the KBS thinners and no more problems. I painted my whole engine bay with it and it looks like glass, ill try post a pic of it tonight.

Good to know. I had read of people having trouble spraying KBS rust seal, I would love to see some pics. I was tempted to leave the engine bay black myself but have decided to keep it pretty original and do it in body colour.

#26 jeff43

jeff43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:41 PM

Awesome work Jeff, good to hear the old shell is being saved as well. Keep at it. What other damage did the other early shell have?

Cheers

Thanks. The other early shell was Mossy's first 240Z (There is an old build thread on it). It had some damage to the drivers side footwell/firewall area - creased impact type damage and the rear wheel arch's on the rear quarters had been butchered for old style moulded flared guards. Nothing too bad. Mossy had already put new floors in and done most of the slam panel repair. The guy who got it from me was a panel beater by trade who had a very rusty 240Z and he planned to use his rusty one for the bits to sort Mossy's one out.

Jeff

Sensational work, great to see the level of prep and execution in this build ;-)

Cheers

John

Thanks John, Coming from a guy with as much experience as you have that means a lot. It is a lot of work and I find it hard to stay motivated. The feedback from other members is really good for keeping the motivation going.

I was so motivated that tonight I ducked out to the shed and quickly sorted the underside of the floor out!!!!!

WP_20150926_002.jpg

WP_20150926_005.jpg

WP_20150926_009.jpg

WP_20150927_001.jpg

WP_20150927_012.jpg

No seriously, I started prepping the underside of the floor about Mar 15 and finally painted it late Sep 15. I had a bit of paint left in the jar so I painted a few loose parts that I had already sandblasted and were ready to go.

WP_20150927_008.jpg

• CBR Jeff likes this

#27 jeff43

jeff43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:11 PM

Next I had to finish up the rear inner wheel arch areas left and right as I didn't do them when I did the floor (That was a big enough job as it was).

LH rear wheel arch ready for paint.jpg

RH rear wheel arch ready for paint.jpg

LH rear wheel arch painted KBS rustseal.jpg

RH rear wheel arch painted KBS rustseal.jpg

Here is an assortment of the usual repairs to doglegs and the hatch slam panel.

RH dogleg repair 1.jpg

RH Dogleg repair 2.jpg

Slam repair LH 1.jpg

Slam Repair RH 1.jpg

Slam repair overview.jpg

• gav240z and Andrew_L26 like this

#28 Andrew_L26

Andrew_L26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Tagline:That Purple Zed

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:56 PM

Wow just wow. I don't think there is anything I like more then a really clean BLACKKK underside *.*

#29 jeff43

jeff43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:54 PM

Well this build has now caught up with real time now, so the updates will be slower to come in the future. The car is finally out of the roti, makes it a lot easier to move around the shed now on it's wheeled trolley. The rear quarter has been taken back to bare metal and is being prepped for primer.

WP_20160112_001.jpg

I have been trying to decide on either getting the car professionally painted or painting it myself. I got a quote a few weeks ago and I am leaning towards getting it done professionally. The workshop I have been talking with wants the car delivered to them completely back to bare metal, this will save me some money. So over the last few weeks I have been madly trying to strip all the paint from the car.

WP_20160126_002.jpg

WP_20160126_003.jpg

WP_20160126_005.jpg

WP_20160126_008.jpg

WP_20160126_013.jpg

So far I have found one small dent in the roof on the passenger side, a previous repair to the rh front guard and some small rust in the passenger door. Not to bad all in all.

WP_20160126_016.jpg

WP_20160126_014.jpg

WP_20160116_005.jpg

WP_20160116_002.jpg

WP_20160116_003.jpg

• mother240 likes this

#30 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • Tagline:John.O.

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:36 PM

Looking good Jeff. 

#31 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,398 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:12 PM

The dent in the roof should be easy enough to repair, the doors look amazing and the skins would be worth saving. Apart from that front end stack looks like it was a really well kept example. Lucky you!

#32 jeff43

jeff43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for all the "likes" and encouragement, it certainly helps the motivation to keep going. The dent in the roof will be easy to sort, it was just bogged previously. I was pretty happy with the overall condition of the body so far. All in all it is very good for a 46 year old car. In 240Z terms this one is almost "rust free". 

Cheers Jeff

#33 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,398 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:56 PM

Just noticed the car was originally 907 Green is that right?

#34 jeff43

jeff43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:41 PM

Just noticed the car was originally 907 Green is that right?

Yeah that's right Gav. Personally I don't rate 907 green very highly. I can't explain it, I just don't like it. I have seen a few cars painted 907 that I quite like - the green hornet for instance, but I don't think I will be doing the car in 907 even though I like the idea of keeping cars in original delivered colour.

#35 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,398 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:22 PM

Yeah that's right Gav. Personally I don't rate 907 green very highly.

Right that's you off the Christmas Card list. :D

#36 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:10 PM

Yeah that's right Gav. Personally I don't rate 907 green very highly. I can't explain it, I just don't like it. I have seen a few cars painted 907 that I quite like - the green hornet for instance, but I don't think I will be doing the car in 907 even though I like the idea of keeping cars in original delivered colour.

Interesting, I too am not a fan of Green cars.

Back when I was younger (80's) Just every time a mate had a green car it ended up getting written off.

So for me - Green is unlucky  

Sorry Gav ;)

#37 jeff43

jeff43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:34 PM

Right that's you off the Christmas Card list. :D

Ok Gav, convince me. Show me some pics of 907 cars that might sway me to change my mind.

Christmas is a long way away, you may change your mind.

#38 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,398 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:51 PM

Ok Gav, convince me. Show me some pics of 907 cars that might sway me to change my mind.

Christmas is a long way away, you may change your mind.

Redemption is just a click away, start here and scroll down the page.

http://www.viczcar.c...-like/?p=166689

But in all seriousness, paint it whatever colour you like.

#39 mossy

mossy

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:02 PM

#40 EJ101

EJ101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Tagline:When I had my Z

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:25 PM

personally if I was doing all the work you are doing, I'd stick with the original colour.

I've never been a fan of green, but after seeing Green Hornet and a few others that had the right wheels and stance, changed my opinion. 907 is almost British racing green.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users