• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 oldmates260z

oldmates260z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:05 PM

Well it all started with a bit of a knock back that it always had when I powered off.

one day I noticed a few drops of oil where it was parked but then forgot about that.

Then my son borrowed the car away for a while to use as a daily drive. 

He mentioned it made a bit of noise when you powered off and I said it always does that.

Then he called up and said it has left a great big puddle of oil under the diff.

On inspection two bolts in the rear housing were missing, two were nearly all the way out and all the rest were loose...very strange in deed.

There was no oil left so I did up all the bolts and refilled it with oil....as you would

Took it for a short drive it seemed OK until I drove it home up the M1. As soon as I powered off it vibrated quite a lot .... so the diff is buggered!

Has anyone had anything similar? Seemed strange that the bolts all came loose????

Also what is the best diff to put in a 2+2 for general driving, city and country runs.....a standard 2+2 diff I am thinking???

#2 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:20 PM

Ouch.

I suppose the lesson for all here is to always check the reason for new leaks or noises.
  • oldmates260z likes this

#3 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:34 PM

Is it auto or manual? Different sized diffs for each.

#4 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:42 PM

Ouch.
I suppose the lesson for all here is to always check the reason for new leaks or noises.

On a more serious note, were you happy with how it was performing (acceleration & revs at speed) ?
If you were, just pop the diff out read the ratio on the crown wheel and post up a wanted thread.

If you didn't like the performance before you will still need to know what ratio is in it to make an informed decision about what to fit.

Either way, in my mind step one is the diff comes out.

Cheers

PB

#5 oldmates260z

oldmates260z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:49 PM

Thanks guys, it is a manual.

It is a bit slow off the mark but would not want to loose too much top end so likely stick with what I have.

Just seems strange why all the housing rear bolts cam loose in the first place? Have had the car for two years and now they come loose?

#6 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:57 PM

3.7 is the RS30/GRS30 manual diff ratio - It's makes them very sedate off the line...

I'd be looking to upgrade it to a 3.9. Nill cost to rpm on the hwy.

Check you haven't got worn out UJ in the half shafts, as this could lead to a undesirable harmonic / vibration that could have made the bolts come loose.
It's also possible a previous owner has had the diff out and the cover off at some stage, then not done the bolts up tightly enough - 2 years & they've finally come undone...

#7 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:15 PM

3.7 is the RS30/GRS30 manual diff ratio - It's makes them very sedate off the line...
I'd be looking to upgrade it to a 3.9. Nill cost to rpm on the hwy.

I have been thinking of putting a 3.9 R180 in the back of mine, I suspect it is a 3.545 currently. Are they (3.9s) hard to come by ?

Edited by PB260Z, 26 December 2015 - 09:16 PM.

#8 oldmates260z

oldmates260z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:47 AM

Lurch, I think you are right on all accounts. Having a vibration when powering off is more a tale shaft or half shaft issue. Cannot see how the diff would cause the vibration?

The vibration may have further loosen the bolts and he did swap the diff in and out a couple of times.

#9 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

Could be worth checking the diff and gearbox rubber mounts too, the might be gone and allowing too much movement.

#10 oldmates260z

oldmates260z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:14 PM

How embarrassing ..... all but one bolt 1/2 undone on tail shaft .... that will cause the vibration every time ..... really need to go over the whole car more often than never....

#11 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:04 PM

How embarrassing ..... all but one bolt 1/2 undone on tail shaft .... that will cause the vibration every time ..... really need to go over the whole car more often than never....

Maybe a little embarrassing, maybe not. I would think of it as the cheapest way to solve a driveline vibration - great news.
+1 to running a spanner over the entire car, better to safe.

Cheers

PB

#12 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:26 PM

Good news, at least it's an easy and cheap fix.

I use loctite medium or high strength on pretty much everything. It can be a little bit painful when undoing things but it's good insurance.

#13 44014

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Tagline:Garage San Maru

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

I have a stock 3.5 open R200 out of my 260 you can have for $100.00 if you were still thinking of changing the diff.

Was quiet on the freeway with no knocks or period noise only removed for 4.3 lsd install.

Cheers Doug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users