Howdy From Melbourne

Hi guys, new Z owner here, just bought a '76 260z 2+2. Not quite running yet, having carby issues I'm getting fixed at B&M Fuel Systems on Friday.

Seems to have had an interesting life, as it has a L28 (not sure if an L28E converted to carbs, or if the previous owner took it out of a Patrol or something, serial doesn't seem to match a list of Datsun codes I found somewhere), an N42 head which I believe comes from the 260, and twin round top carbies that seem to be from a 240z.

Unforunately the guy I bought it off didn't know much of the history as he took the car as part of a debt he was owed, and the previous owner before him disappeared.

It's dark grey which I can't seem to find the right colour code for (maybe 503?), with a real nice straight body. Tiny bit of rust on the top of the right fender, bubbling on the bottom of the right door (keep forgetting to check the left door), and the rear...window sill panel thing that seems to rust in most of these cars is a little bit shagged. The underside is remarkably clean, exhaust is a bit heat tarnished but my '06 bike looked much the same when I sold it a few weeks ago, so I'm not concerned about that.

Only thing that concerns me at this point is that the A/C belt is off and the guy I bought it off doesn't know why. Belts in the boot though, so I guess I'll find someone to check it out. All I know is I can't survive summer without A/C :P

I was intending on leaving it a bit rough and just focusing on getting it RWC'd and rego'd, don't really wanna go full respray but I might anyway. After the carbies get looked at with B&M, might take it to The Z Factory or perhaps to Classic Auto Fabrications if Lurch has time to get the rust fixed up. I've got receipts of servicing and parts for a few years from 2011 or so, up to it being left in the workshop, so rust should be the only thing hindering a RWC once the motor's running well.

Looking forward to getting it on the road. I'll upload some pics when I get a chance, it's covered in dust from having sat in a workshop for a year and half or so.

• Moderators

Welcome aboard.

Photo's not a rule but definately a good idea.

Sounds like a reasonably solid car and I like thatbyou have a plan that includes getting someone in the know to check it out for rust.

Good luck, and look forward to seeing more photos.

Cheers

PB

• Administrators

Photos are not a requirement but we are all Z-car voyeurs and like to have a sticky beak from time to time.

Looks like a good start and pretty original and not messed about with too much - always a good thing. Was this car on Gumtree recently?

Thanks for the welcome guys. I was only having a laugh with my comment about the pics :)

It was up on eBay, due to end on Tuesday just past, went to inspect it on the weekend. Told the guy I'd see how the auction went and he offered it to me for reserve right off the bat. It was already higher than what I paid when he ended the auction. Good deal I think.