Alex's 260Z 2+2

alex_260z

• Administrators

Yeah nice work on the airbox, a few indentations in the steel would give it more rigidity but also more of a factory look. I would like to try build something similar for my Triples in future.

I like the look of the bright orange OEM air box in a 240z engine bay ;)

Another idea I had but did not attempt was to take a small diameter round airbox, cut it in half and copy the indentations by bending up a new centre section that elongates it. Would probably have a more factory looking appearance to it. Only issue is that it would have to be relatively tall to fit the velocity stacks without restricting airflow.

• 1 year later...

My "reconditioned" 280ZX distributor decided to die on me not long ago. Replaced the matchbox ignition module with a GM HEI module. 

IMG_0814.thumb.JPG.cd320a7d8708dc13c6619aad4b7079dd.JPG

Removing the matchbox there was a red and green wire from the pickup. These were connected to the ignition module.

Wiring is as
follows:

On HEI Module

W - Red pickup wire

G - Green pickup wire

C- Coil Negative

B- Battery positive

Module ground - Chassis ground

Using a non-conductive heat paste may cause issues as the metal plate on the HEI module is ground.

Cut up an old amplifier heat sink and cleaned it up on the mill. I attached the heatsink to the distributor via the matchbox mount screws.

Heatsink was also kept bare where it meets the module as the paint acts as an insulator.

Could be a bit tidier, but have been running this for a few months and hasn't caused me any issues.

IMG_0823.thumb.JPG.2bd2fc792af2512f113405094afb9c8e.JPGIMG_0824.thumb.JPG.7fc34c24eee1867927a25c5c5fc2ad90.JPGIMG_0826.thumb.JPG.3695b19002d2f80204a6a4bd31db8f5b.JPGIMG_0828.thumb.JPG.49555c7207e82add5f1a92902a0ab8f4.JPGIMG_0829.thumb.JPG.757d5b80825c5f75bec74f1ebbd3d8fd.JPGIMG_0830.thumb.JPG.f1d8b133d21a54ace0e164ec357fcc8d.JPG

• Administrators

Cool, I've always worried about the old 280zx module dying, given their age now. It would be great to do this conversion and keep a few of those GM modules in the glovebox just in case...

5 hours ago, gav240z said:

Cool, I've always worried about the old 280zx module dying, given their age now. It would be great to do this conversion and keep a few of those GM modules in the glovebox just in case...

The other bonus is that they're readily available at speed shops.

Also, forgot to note that they work well on points distributors too. We fitted one to a Toyota Crown points distributor using a 1k pull up resistor between the points and the coil +12v as a trigger source.

Provides a stronger spark via EI coil and reduces wear on points/carbon build up as they're no longer responsible for directly completing the ignition circuit.