My RB25det Racecar

zr240

Hi Ash,

Do you have any useful wiring diagrams for the RB25DET?

I have just fitted an s2 RB25DET into my Z in my garage.

I did this after hitting engineering troubles with the RB30DET while at Meridian, so i took it all home and sold the motor.

(edit: I have the common net ones, just wondering if you had anything better)

• Administrators

Hi Ash,

Do you have any useful wiring diagrams for the RB25DET?

I have just fitted an s2 RB25DET into my Z in my garage.

I did this after hitting engineering troubles with the RB30DET while at Meridian, so i took it all home and sold the motor.

(edit: I have the common net ones, just wondering if you had anything better)

Interested to know what problems you had since I was thinking about this conversion. Although I very much want to build an L28. :) I am a complete novice in terms of engineering rules so would like to know the issues involved?

heheh that wiring looks very familiar.... i remember when i did mine. though most of it is now nicely put away. only area left is the dash and around the audio gear.

still good fun.

James (JP)  why dont you source some japanese manuals. asuming you know to read japanese. it shouldnt be hard to get it from Japan.

Ive kinda used the net ones and guessed/traced a few other ones and the ones that didnt have a home got removed entirely from the loom, (ie hicas system, crapy audio amplifiers, rear wiper, ioniser thingy, etc...)

No dont have anything other than the net wiring diagrams sorry. Thats a shame you had to ditch the rb30det :(

Ash

No worries, I am sure I will figure it out since it's basically my occupation. I just like shortcuts  :D

Nice to see you have reached the same stage my car is up to in about a quarter of the time  :'(

Interested to know what problems you had since I was thinking about this conversion. Although I very much want to build an L28. :) I am a complete novice in terms of engineering rules so would like to know the issues involved?

Basically my car is a '77 which is complied with ADR27a which was introduced late '75 from memory.

Since your car is a 240Z, you can essentially do what you like as you have no emissions rules to comply to.

Lesson to the kids out there is to buy a pre-75 car if you want to go to town on engine swaps. I chose the '77 as it has the stronger 280Z body but it backfired when it came to emission legality.

James (JP)  why dont you source some japanese manuals. asuming you know to read japanese. it shouldnt be hard to get it from Japan.

Ive kinda used the net ones and guessed/traced a few other ones and the ones that didnt have a home got removed entirely from the loom, (ie hicas system, crapy audio amplifiers, rear wiper, ioniser thingy, etc...)

I can read the simple Japanese on the wiring diagrams, but nothing as complex as a field manual. I am sure I will work it out, only complication is that I have a series 2 RB25DET which looks to be a little different wiring-wise due to different igniter setup.

how does an rb26 sit with ADR27a? i guess i should look up what it actully is.

was ur rb30 disallowed as it was using an 80's block, or something completely different? my car's an early 76 and has #27 sitting on the plate :(

edit* from what google has produced so far, 27 and 27a seem to be to different things, is this the case and does ur car specify 27a? or is it just part of 27?

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2677/article.html

"ADR 27A requires that each car built from July 1st, 1976..." maybe i just dodged that one?

oh, and awesome car ash, did u end up getting motivation for some sort of gt kit? or to eager to get it on the road? :D

how does an rb26 sit with ADR27a? i guess i should look up what it actully is.

Basically any engine used in a post-75 car has to be proven to meet or exceed Australian emission rules.

The only way you can do this is to use all the standard emission equipment and parts that affect emission like engine computer etc. Therefore an engineer can soundly judge that your conversion will match the emissions of the car you took the parts from as it is more or less identical from that point of view.

Of course, the car model has to be sold or complied for Australian roads otherwise copying it has little point if the base is unverified also.

In my case, the RB30DET was never a production engine and certainly not complied to ADR's so without undergoing expensive pass/fail emissions tests, not going to happen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok thought Id better keep up the updates.

Painted the car but still need to paint the side skirts and front flairs. should be done in the next week. Also got my big ass wing mounted!!!

So once thats done I just need to do a bit of drivetrain work and start to finish the car off :)

Ash

post-87-144023484756_thumb.jpg