241 replies to this topic

#41 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:55 PM

You've done well to get it under a tonne. Would love to see it in the flesh one day. Do you see yourself driving this on the streets?

#42 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Tagline:Ken & Mary suggest carbon

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:03 PM

I already do drive it on the street  ;D
I built it mainly for weekend stress relief and tarmac rallies (Duttons etc.)
It was fun even with Hitachis, can't wait to drive it fully tuned.

#43 ZD44TT

ZD44TT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

let us know when it's back on the road man......would love to have a look. I'll bring my own napkin.

#44 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:58 AM

Where did you get the injection setup from?
You stated from Japan. Who did you deal with and how did you go with postage?

Thanks, Simon.

#45 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:27 AM

Where did you get the injection setup from?
You stated from Japan. Who did you deal with and how did you go with postage?

Thanks, Simon.

I had a friend in Japan take care of it for me. I can supply the kits brand new, look for my post in the classifieds section.

#46 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:14 PM

Benzed
do you want to sell your gear knob ?

#47 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:30 PM

Benzed

Then I wouldn't have a gearknob... so no.

#48 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:45 PM

Benzed

Then I wouldn't have a gearknob... so no.

that's gold

#49 redrbzed

redrbzed

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:46 AM

Benzed,
with all the weight reduction you have done to your car do you have a breakdown of how much difference each modification made.
For example the dash and heater, how much weight did you lose?

#50 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:34 AM

Benzed,
with all the weight reduction you have done to your car do you have a breakdown of how much difference each modification made.
For example the dash and heater, how much weight did you lose?

I wasn't dedicated enough to measure the weights of all the bits, but here is a guide to what is worth doing and some estimates:

Carbon bumpers: really light, probably only 10-15 percent of the weight of the steel bumpers, so worth doing to save 7kg or so.
Carbon bonnet: Only a small weight saving of 5kg, so not really worth doing for the money.
Carbon roof skin: Hardly any weight saving (couple of kilos at best), only did it to fill the hole.
Fibreglass front guards: Probably 3kg lighter per side, not really worth the effort unless you need to replace them anyway.
Fibreglass doors: Heaps lighter, maybe 10kg per side with the acrylic windows, but a complete bastard to fit and not readily available here.
Fibreglass rear hatch: Heaps lighter, a good 10kg saving here if you use the acrylic window too, so this is a good one to do.
Stripping interior sound-deadening: About 4-5kg saved here, and very easy to do as the old tar comes off easily.
Fibreglass dash: Massive saving, about 15kg or more. The heater/fan assembly is really heavy and the steel frame of the dash weighs heaps too, My whole dash and ceramic heater would add up to less than 5kg now.
Changing seats saved some weight too as the stock ones are very heavy. The standard spare wheel also weighs about 4kg more than my large Watanabe spare.

So to sum up, the weight saving mods that make the most sense for someone less insane are carbon or fibreglass bumpers, fibreglass hatch, acrylic rear window and quarter windows, stripping  interior tar, light alloy wheels, lighter aftermarket seats and if you can be bothered, fitting a fibreglass dash and electric heater (also solves the problem of a cracked dash).
With all of these changes you can save 50-65kg.

#51 ZD44TT

ZD44TT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:26 AM

Whats the ETA on it being 100% ready?

#52 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:34 AM

Tuning should be finished this week.

#53 ZD44TT

ZD44TT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:19 PM

Awesome! Can meet up for pics if your down .........hehehhe.

Mines out of the paint shop on sat.......have to put the windscreen and rear back on and a few other bits and I'll be rocking too.

#54 redrbzed

redrbzed

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

Benzed,
Thanks for all your info,
I'm looking into doing the Colin Chapman thing and adding lightness to get some better lap times.

#55 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:13 PM

Just spoke to my tuner, the L31 is making 260hp (194kW) at the engine. Apparently it's only just flattening out at 7000rpm, which is where I set the limiter. Final tuning will be done tomorrow, so I'll post up a graph on Saturday  ;D

#56 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:19 PM

That's a very nice power/weight ratio you're going to end up with.  Should definately surprise a few people.  Nice work!

#57 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:25 PM

Well done Benzed. That is some pretty impressive power out of a 6. With those weight savings the car should be flying.
I liked your detailed weight savings above. I have to agree with all of them. I did the seats, spare and 20kg worth of stereo. Saved around 70kg or more. I am now sort ot toying with the idea of pulling out the heater even though it's a road reg car. Do you reckon I might save 10kg there? Don't forget the 20kg battery if you went for one of those small race ones. Not sure what they weigh, maybe 6-8kg.

#58 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

Another worth while weight saver would be a planetary gear starter motor along with Craig's mentioned battery. I have one of those "Pulse" brand batteries mounted behind the passenger seat. They weigh just 7-8 kilos. But unfortunately capacity is only 196 cca. So if your car takes a while to start in the cold, better cary some jumper leads!

#59 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:48 PM

Well done Benzed. That is some pretty impressive power out of a 6. With those weight savings the car should be flying.
I liked your detailed weight savings above. I have to agree with all of them. I did the seats, spare and 20kg worth of stereo. Saved around 70kg or more. I am now sort ot toying with the idea of pulling out the heater even though it's a road reg car. Do you reckon I might save 10kg there? Don't forget the 20kg battery if you went for one of those small race ones. Not sure what they weigh, maybe 6-8kg.

The heater/fan box is surprisingly heavy, especially when you add in the extra hoses and water capacity. I'd say close to 10kg. A pair of 'camping hairdriers' do the job for me at less than 1kg.

#60 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:50 PM

Another worth while weight saver would be a planetary gear starter motor along with Craig's mentioned battery. I have one of those "Pulse" brand batteries mounted behind the passenger seat. They weigh just 7-8 kilos. But unfortunately capacity is only 196 cca. So if your car takes a while to start in the cold, better cary some jumper leads!

Unfortunately a high-compression L6 takes a lot of grunt to turn over. Mine sounds like it's working hard with 500CCA. If I used a compact dry cell I reckon I'd need two of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users