241 replies to this topic

#21 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Tagline:Ken & Mary suggest carbon

Posted 14 February 2008 - 08:28 AM

Mind boggling how you can spend $10K on a motor but MAD SHET!!! : )

Yes please post up clear big vids...........

Very interesting bracing as well.

Actually it was well over $10k and I can assure you it is very easy to spend that much on a serious engine build. It's all the little bits like rod bolts, metal gasket, valvesprings and so on that really add up. There is a lot of money in machining, balancing and labour to consider too. If you only think about the big parts in the engine you will be boggled  ;D.

#22 RBZ 260

RBZ 260

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Tagline:S chassis Nutter

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:18 AM

Yes I am the Ben Ellis that worked on Hot 4s, HPI, Zoom and Drift Battle.
The car worked out very nicely and is still appearing in magazines in the UK. Here is a pic of how it looked the day I sold it.

Cool that 240z did turn out very nice. Ive met you back in the days of Japanese motorsport When Dany Vahoumis was runing it. You and Martin Donnon were working on project drifter back than (many years ago) me and few of my mates were almost living at JMS. Im the the one that had the green S14a and my mate had a blue S14a while my third mate which you probably know better as his car was featured in the Zoom some years ago Ben yellow 2JZ supra that was on the cover.

Funny thing how back than all i cared for is 180sx silvias and 200sx. now ive caught the s30 bug as well.

keep up with good work and keep us posted on progress. 

#23 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,390 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:42 AM

No worries Gavin, send me a question sheet and when I have everything finished I'll take the photos for you.

Hi Ben the link is in the post previous listed but here is a direct link to the questionaire.
http://www.viczcar.c...6.0;attach=1422

Let me know if you have any problems with it. Its good to hear we will be featuring the car.

Oh and I can imagine spending 10k easy on such a motor. Especially since I am building an L31 for my Z myself. As you say its all the little unaccounted for expenses. It must be a blast to drive though?

Cheers,

#24 ZD44TT

ZD44TT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:27 AM

so good to see one done up JDM styles though. I hate this USDM V8 or turbo stuff (no disrespect).

NSW FTW hahahhaha.

Mind boggling how you can spend $10K on a motor but MAD SHET!!! : )

Yes please post up clear big vids...........

Very interesting bracing as well.

Actually it was well over $10k and I can assure you it is very easy to spend that much on a serious engine build. It's all the little bits like rod bolts, metal gasket, valvesprings and so on that really add up. There is a lot of money in machining, balancing and labour to consider too. If you only think about the big parts in the engine you will be boggled  ;D.

#25 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

Nice Z!!! Have you had it on a weigh bridge?  Should have awesome acceleration with all that weight reduction and a stroker  :)

Do you think the bracing to the front wheel arches has made much difference?  I saw the same thing in a BRE book and though it looked like a good idea to stiffen up the soft nose of the Z.

#26 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:17 PM

Nice Z!!! Have you had it on a weigh bridge?  Should have awesome acceleration with all that weight reduction and a stroker  :)

Do you think the bracing to the front wheel arches has made much difference?  I saw the same thing in a BRE book and though it looked like a good idea to stiffen up the soft nose of the Z.

Yes, 935kg as I posted. Haven't really punted it around a track yet, so can't comment on the bracing yet.

#27 eddii

eddii

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:46 PM

Nice car Ben, thanks for sharing :) Like everyone here, Im looking forward to the finish product! I like the way you finished off the roof ala M3. Just wondering with the legalities of your CF body panels. As you mentioned earlier, you want to keep your car legal. Do you have ADR approvals for the CF bonnet, roof and fibreglass hatch? Im also thinking of ditching my dashboard blower, will this ceramic heater keep it legal? where can i get one?
You must have a soft spot for the old zeds, amongst all the nice cars your've owned, you kept going back to it :) well done!

#28 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:50 AM

Nice car Ben, thanks for sharing :) Like everyone here, Im looking forward to the finish product! I like the way you finished off the roof ala M3. Just wondering with the legalities of your CF body panels. As you mentioned earlier, you want to keep your car legal. Do you have ADR approvals for the CF bonnet, roof and fibreglass hatch? Im also thinking of ditching my dashboard blower, will this ceramic heater keep it legal? where can i get one?
You must have a soft spot for the old zeds, amongst all the nice cars your've owned, you kept going back to it :) well done!

Do I have ADR Approvals? You mean an engineering certificate? The car is a 1973 model, so it doesn't have to comply with much in the way of ADRs. The ceramic heater is fine, legally all you need is some kind of demister. As for the CF, that's probably the last thing anyone will think to book me for. I probably should have said 'keep it registered' rather than 'keep it legal'  :D

#29 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:52 PM

The PWR radiator is a very tight fit for the engine fan, but it doesn't touch. Fitting the oil cooler was trickier than expected, but it was a cheap kit ($279) and I didn't need any extra parts to make it fit.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2046_.jpg
  • 2044_.jpg

#30 redrbzed

redrbzed

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:33 PM

Ben,love the lightweight Z.
Who did the acrylic windows and how much?

#31 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:48 PM

Ausplasfab.com.au $160

#32 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:18 AM

Another small update, I've just carpeted the interior. The carpet is all unbacked grey stuff like you see on speaker boxes. It weighs almost nothing and you can stretch it easily so it's great for curved surfaces like the wheel arches. I made up new rear panels on either side behind the towers from 3mm MDF, plus a new panel over the tail lights from 6mm MDF. Everywhere else the carpet is glued directly to the painted steel floor. All of the bits that are still visible in white will be painted satin black this week. I don't plan to re-fit the original console, so I carpeted the depression in the tunnel where the choke lever used to sit. This makes a handy place to store bits and pieces. You may notice I also had the door trims retrimmed in black vinyl with dark grey center sections.
I'm still waiting on some custom-made induction rams for my injection before I can fit everything, but that should be my next post.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2144_.jpg
  • 2142_.jpg
  • 2140_.jpg

#33 V8Datto

V8Datto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:29 PM

Hey m8, you posted a weight of 935kg, is that with you sitting in the car?
I would have thought it was lighter that that?

#34 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:41 AM

That's without me in the car and almost no fuel. It is tough to take more than 100kg out of any car, especially when it's light to start with.

#35 V8Datto

V8Datto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:23 AM

Crap!, I'm building a car at the moment and was hoping for somewhere around the 950kg mark but looks like I won't get anywhere near that now.

Funny isn't it, I have a 4 door Datsun with a V8, that weighs 1050kg's (no driver, 1/2 tank fuel) and I could easily take out another 55kg's at least. more if I replaced the bonnet and boot lids.

Does anyone know how much the standard L series engine weighs in the Z's?

#36 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:14 AM

L-series engines are very heavy. An early 240Z L24 is 141kg and later engines only got heavier.
The lightest L-powered 240Z I have seen was a drag car in Japan with all of the lightweight mods on my car, plus holes cut in all the internal metal panels, no trim of any kind, plastic seats, aluminium fuel tank and titanium exhaust. It weighed 880kg and ran high 10s with a 350hp L31.

#37 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:08 PM

hey Ben, any chance you could take a very close up pic of the gear knob ? Im missing the H pattern on my gearknob & I thought I might make my own precise replica on AutoCad and then print to a sticker..
better still do you want to sell yours !!  ;D

#38 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:14 AM

Just got my extractors ceramic-coated, ready to go back on with the injection. If anyone is interested in getting some coating done this high-temperature black coating cost $400. You can get the polished aluminium finish (slightly lower temp rating) for $320.   
PM me if you want a quote on other parts (the coaters are next door to my company).

Attached Thumbnails

• 2173_.jpg

#39 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:31 PM

Just delivered the car to my tuner to get the computer wired up and tuned. I had the aluminium ram tubes you see here custom made to fit inside the filters. Actually there's more space than I thought, so I might get bigger filters later. Need to give it a bit of a clean too  ;D

Attached Thumbnails

• 2183_.jpg
  • 2181_.jpg

#40 ZD44TT

ZD44TT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:12 AM

Nice work man..........fark I can see myself getting into alot of trouble if I start thinking engine conversions looking at yours.........hahahhaha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users